I'm confused about the heat deflector

Woodman

I've done some research and have yet to get a definitive answer about the heat deflector and/or pizza stone for the Kamado Joe Classic. I believe I read somewhere that if you put the deflector or pizza stone (either one) on a hot grill, you will crack it. My confusion comes when to install the deflector and/or pizza stone. If you want your grill to be 500 degrees, it takes forever to get there because the stone/deflector prevents the heat from directly hitting the thermometer. So, when do you put the stone/deflector in? Do you get your grill up to temp first, then install deflector and/or pizza stone? I know this is probably a stupid question.....

Thanks for the help

I put the deflector on the upper rack and the stone directly on top of it. Light the lump in a few places and let the fire get rocking before you put the deflector and stone on.

Personally, I let the deflector and stone ease up to temp together; a drastic chance in temp could crack it.

e5b51cf9-70e3-4d62-b75c-bbba7657cd6f.jpg

I've done some research and have yet to get a definitive answer about the heat deflector and/or pizza stone for the Kamado Joe Classic. I believe I read somewhere that if you put the deflector or pizza stone (either one) on a hot grill, you will crack it. My confusion comes when to install the deflector and/or pizza stone. If you want your grill to be 500 degrees, it takes forever to get there because the stone/deflector prevents the heat from directly hitting the thermometer. So, when do you put the stone/deflector in? Do you get your grill up to temp first, then install deflector and/or pizza stone? I know this is probably a stupid question.....

Thanks for the help

No stupid questions here...we've all been there.

I have the KJ deflector and put it and my pizza stone in just after I light up, and let them go.

I leave a few inches of separation between my deflector and my stone. I like to get the stone as high in the dome as possible.

When you say it takes forever to get to 500, how long is that? I can get to 500 and let it sit there for about 45 minutes before I cook.

YMMV, but learn from my mistake. I was using a pizza stone as a heat deflector as a temporary solution for ribs, and I cracked my pizza stone the first time I used weber fire starters (I've always used a chimney). So, the flames were kissing the bottom of the pizza stone causing that area to heat up faster than the rest and crack.

So, full disclosure, I'm a kamado newbie, but not new to BBQ. I intend to let the fire establish a little bit, and then put the stoneware in to let it heat up with the grill, if that makes sense.

K-ville, I think my definition of forever is my problem. I'm not waiting 45 minutes so I think I need to be more patient.

SteveZ, what is YMMV? Do you trust the Joe thermometer when it says 500 with the stone installed? I was thinking the stone is going to be way hotter than the thermometer that sits way above it. This weird way of thinking may be my problem also.

Woodman, if you have a spark and airflow, it will get hot. If you say it is still not heating up fast enough, perhaps make sure all your air holes aren't blocked with charcoal bits or anything. The heat deflector does not impede airflow much.

If you want to cook a pizza and get the kamado up to temp more quickly, load some unlit lump in the firebox and then fire up a chimney of lump and let it get good and hot and then dump it in the firebox on top of the unlit coals. You can then put your deflector and stone in. These kamado joe stones are VERY durable and I don't believe you are going to have an issue with them cracking from heat.

I'll second what some of my predecessors have said about the stone being exposed to a gradual increase in temp. It is especially true if the stone is slightly humid. I light up in three spots with the looftlighter, open the top and bottom vents fully, put my heat deflector in at low setting and then the stone on top, which gives me a few inches height between the two. Pizza stones are not heat deflectors in and of themselves in my universe, and thus I prefer to use both the deflector and the pizza stone. I should have mentioned that I have a Classic, too!

Pat

• 6 years later...

When I cook pizza I get the fire going like John Setzler does, place both 1/2 grills on the upper portion of the Divide & Conquer system,  put both heat deflectors on top of the grills, place four 2" spacers on the heat deflector (I use threaded pipe connectors, Home Depot), then put the pizza stone on top of the spacers creating an air space and raising the pizza stone a little higher where there is more heat.

Placing the heat deflectors high on the grill,  creates more air space in the fire box thereby getting the necessary high temp. To measure the pizza stone temp, buy an infrared thermometer gun, $15-$20. They are great. Youll find many uses for it.

20200704_101454.jpg

20200704_101508.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi, my names is Geoff and just about to sign up but was reading this post and thought I’d drop in my question which is………is it possible to use a pizza firebox on a kamado? I have a 25inch Bono which can accommodate the size so just wondering if it’s been done? Many thanks