SteveZ

Pros and Cons of Various Heat Deflector Options for Vision

I think we're going to get a lot of new Vision Grill owners coming on board since the price is so good. And we all know that the one thing lacking is a heat diffuser/deflector. So, I thought we could start a definitive thread that outlines the pros and cons of various solutions. I'll start with what I've personally tried.

Pizza Stone on the Bottom Rack - Pros: Easily available and cheap. Many people already have one. If not, you can buy them just about anywhere for pretty cheap. If you want to get ribs on the Vision right away, this will work.

Cons: Fragile and cuts your grill space in half. I was able to use my pizza stone three times before I cracked it. Not what I would consider a long term solution.

Kamado Joe Heat Deflector (http://www.amazon.com/Kamado-Joe-KJIHP2 ... m_sbs_hi_1) - Pros: The rack is adjustable, providing for a couple different configurations, and the stone is thick and durable. If used as designed, should be very durable. Stone can also be used as a pizza stone. No modifications required/nothing to fabricate.

Cons: The rack sits on top of the fire bowl, which raises the grill by about 2". This makes the upper grill virtually unusable, cutting the grill space by about 50%.

14" Cast Iron Frying Pan - Pros: Inexpensive, extremely Durable and can double as drip pan. Can be rigged to set inside the fire bowl, so that the two Vision Grill Racks can be used as designed.

Cons: Some fabrication is required. You have to cut the handle off the pan (I used a hack saw) and will need to rig up straps or something to support the pan inside the bowl.

Vision Spider http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/vision-spider-1/ - Pros: Versatile support for different heat deflectors. No fabrication required.

Cons: Doesn't come with an actual heat deflector in it.

For me, the ideal set up was a combination of all of these. I picked up the KJ Heat Deflector, but was disappointed at the way it raised the grill rack. So, I bought a cheap, 14" cast iron pan and cut the handle off, but wasn't sure how I wanted to rig up the straps and with my limited tools at home, couldn't really do it right. The Vision Spider really made it all work. It supports the pan, so that the top of the pan is virtually flush with the top of the fire bowl, allowing me to use the two grill racks as designed. It also supports the KJ Heat Deflector perfectly about 2" below the grill, offering even more flexibility there.

There are a lot of other alternatives out there. I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts on the pros and cons of the different possibilities.

My solution is the kj heat deflector with the vision bracket. I use the kj stone and vision bracket for low and slow. I use the kj stone and kj bracket for pizza as the extra 2" inches gets it in the top of the dome for a great evenly cooked pizza.

Great post.

I would also mention the Vision Grills lava stone/plate setter. It comes included with the Vision Pro (at least where I live), or you can buy it separately. It's very thick and 14" in diameter. My only complaint is that the metal plate-setter bracket is kind of flimsy.

Also, Ceramic Grill Store sells a 13" ceramic disk intended for use with the spider.

Question for you, SteveZ: the Vision Grill firebowl doesn't have notches around the rim to accommodate the spider -- do you find this affects the stability of the Vision Grill grate(s) sitting on top of the spider?

Jarett, the spider is very stable. I don't think it's necessary, particularly with the weight of the 14" cast iron pan on it.

I was going to try a 13" frying pan, but someone on this forum recommended that I go with 14" and I'm glad he did. Was definitely the way to go. 13" would have left too large a gap around the edges of the pan.

I'm going to cook ribs tomorrow. Can't wait. :)

I know it is not listed in the top 3 of the original post but my $13 solution has held up just fine for 2 cooks.

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6405

For low and slow I think it will hold up in the long term as well, it is not a pizza stone so I plan on not putting this in a 800 degree oven.

I will have to do a few more cooks but I keep this wrapped in foil so it it not directly exposed to the flames.

Hey, just to clarify, I only posted what I have personally tried. It's not meant to be a complete list. I'm hoping others with direct experience will post what you've done.

Thanks for bringing up your idea. Have you run into any downside so far? Would you mind summarizing the pros and cons?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Vision grills is sold out of their "lava stone" and the vision spider is sold out at the ceramic grill store...any other stores or options? Sounds to me like the KJ option is just too tall. Anything from BGE?

Many people who use the KJ have used a Dremel tool to notch out grooves on the top on he firewall so the heat deflector fits flush. While I am not advising this as it could void your warranty on the firebox, if I had the KJ deflector, I believe I would feel comfortable enough with using a Dremel, and its various attachments, and I don't believe it would cause irreparable harm to the firebox.

Hey, just to clarify, I only posted what I have personally tried. It's not meant to be a complete list. I'm hoping others with direct experience will post what you've done.

Thanks for bringing up your idea. Have you run into any downside so far? Would you mind summarizing the pros and cons?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

WIth regards to pros and cons for my 14" terra catta plate.

Pros:

-Cheap

-fits in the firebox nicely

-Can accommodate a drip pan for easy clean up.

Cons:

-Cannot be used as a pizza stone (do many people do this or do they purchase a separate stone?)

-Concern about metal clips and strength (also a concern about giving off chemicals, although I researched this and pretty much debunked that theory.)

-Usage of Aluminum foil to protect the plate from heat.

-Not intended for high heat. though I heard they can handle up to 1000 degrees.

I needed a very cheap solution while I research the perfect one. This may be my solution for low and slow. I have used terra catta in other smoker applications although they are not sitting directly above the fire.

I am following this closely and I am still a bit bewildered. I hate to have to spend another $75+ on the new $400 cooker, but I do intend to Smoke low and bake pizza at blistering hot temps. Perhaps the Pizzakettle on a Weber is better for higher temps.

Just got my Vision from Costco a few weeks ago. Right now, I'm using the Vision Spider and 13" ceramic plate from here:

http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/vision-classic/

They fit nicely in the fire bowl and the ceramic is 5/8" thick and should hold up nicely to heat. I also got the 13.5 stainless tray for on top of the ceramic plate to catch any drippings.

I'm on the hunt for a small'ish metal bowl that would fit down inside the Spider and hold liquid for a wet smoke. I was hoping the small one off my little bullet smoker would fit, but it is too low and sits on top of the charcoal.

I just ordered the KJ deflector and will see how it works....might do the dremel approach. What is the optimum space between the firebox and the heat deflector...do you want an inch around it, more, less?

New here, thanks for the help.

Here's another option. Lodge has a "baking pan" that is 14" diameter with two handles. I've had one for about 20 years and it is great for other grilling adventures, including pizza.

Look here: http://www.lodgemfg.com/seasoned-cast-i ... -pan-P14P3

%There is a similar one at Academy Sports for $20 including shipping.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/store ... 1_27889_-1

Great thread!! I've been researching exactly this.

I recently purchased a Vision Grill Classic B from CostCo. I would like to do both some smoking and pizza, and am trying to figure out a decent deflector plate setup.

I've read of folks using the Kamado Joe deflector plate, and about the optional notching of the fire bowl that voids the warranty. I've also seen the ceramicgrillstore.com options.

Based on the comments here (http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews ... assic3.htm) it sounds like a smaller gap at the edge (15" stone versus 13" stone as a deflector) is preferable.

I was thinking of using:

- Deflector setup: ceramicgrillstore.com 2012 Vision Spider + 15" Kamado Joe pizza stone (I understand this is the same stone as the deflector, but with some extra embossing)

- Another Pizza stone 16-18" on either the bottom or top grate that comes with the vision.

How well would this work? Would a 14" cast iron pan work better? If using a larger stone on-top than the deflector, will it have a ring-shaped hot spot based on the gap between the deflector and the fire bowl?

I didn't see other folks talking about just setting the top/pizza stone on one of the upper grates, and am not sure why you would the jig that comes with the KJ deflector plate. if someone can enlighten me about this, that would be great.

Lastly, when cooking pizza, is there an ideal distance between the deflector plate and the pizza stone? I've heard you want the pizza as high as possible in the dome, and notice most of the deflector plates drop down.

Thanks in advance for any insight! I'm going to cross-post.