Just bought a Pitmaster IQ 120

Got my unit tonight. Took it for a test drive at 225F, but for a cooker like the Broil King Keg, I should've set it to 195F or something because it overshot the temperature by about 30 degrees. By the time the blower stopped, the keg was still well on its way. Also had to tone down the air flow dial to 1 (the lowest setting). Took a bit of practice, but now I think I got it. First set to 30 degrees below target temp. Once reached, then re-adjust to real target temp.

A very nice unit. I don't own the 110 so I can't give a comparison, but I like that everything is displayed on the screen from speed of fan to temperature (both of pit and food) so I can read it from inside the house. Never owned a temperature controller before so I was impressed to read about how much internal testing and verification this unit goes through continuously.

I going to use it to cook a rack ribs this weekend (haven't settled on St-Louis or Baby Back yet).

Do you think that might have anything with it overshooting your setpoint?

It's possible, but I'll have to do it a few more times to be sure. When I want to reach a low temperature, I usually use only one weber cube to light up a few lumps and let the heat progress from there. One its own, the Keg is slow to reach 225F, but it's much easier to slow it down and stop it dead at 225F. With the IQ120 and the air flowing on the lumps, it was going quite faster and when it stopped, the keg was still going up.

I'll play with it some more tomorrow, but I know I'll get the hang of it. :)

I'm using my IQ120 for the first time today with a rack of ribs cooked using the 3-2-1 method. My cooker is a Broil King Keg.

I had to use foil tape to seal as many gaps as I could once the adapter was on. I also set my top damper to 3 just to get the air circulating while the keg was warming up. Set the temp to 225 and watch it go. Oh and I also set the air flow dial to 1 on the IQ120 since the Keg is so well insulated. I didn't want to flood it with air too quickly. I want to test the waters first.

The IQ120 started blowing air at normal rate until the Keg reached about 205F and then it stopped only to give a short burst of air every 5 seconds or so. At that point I put the top damper at 1.5. As the Keg approached 225, the bursts became less frequent. Then 225F was reached and held solid.

Opened up the lid to put the racks and the IQ detected that I did so it didn't start blowing when the temperature dropped as a consequence. Once the lid was closed and the temperature was going back up for a while, the IQ determined that I closed the lid and resume with short bursts of air until 225F was reached again.

The ribs have been on for an hour so far and the IQ barely moved from 225F. The analog thermometer on the keg confirms that. It's all working as hoped. Now I'm confident I can go mow the lawn and not worry about the temperature. :)

After 2 hours of stability, suddenly the temperature started to climb and at 240F, the IQ120 sounded an alert. I closed the top damper to 0.5 and the temperature started going down after a while. Now it's back at 225 and I reopened the top damper to 1.

I'm using it without the meat probe, but it has alerts for meat doneness too. The alerts are configurable and the manual explains well how to set those up and turn them off permanently if you so choose. But in my case, I was happy to be alerted of the sudden increase in temperature. :)

So the first run was a resounding success. Aside from the spike I experienced earlier, it held the temperature between 225 and 230 all day. I learned that my top damper should be at 1. This is not just my first time with the IQ120, but also my first time with a temperature controller so I had a learning curve.

I never owned the IQ110, but I appreciate that the IQ120 will actually display in plain english what is going on. I also really liked the bright display that I can see from inside the house. At all times, the temperature matched the analog thermometer on the Keg's lid and the end result ribs were a testament of that. There is logic programmed in that unit that is rather impressive and you can see it behave differently depending on the circumstances (heating up, lid open, high temperature, etc).

For the slow cooking that I did, I lit up just a few charcoal and let the blower of the IQ120 do the rest to slowly bring the Keg up to temp over 30 mins. Maybe if I had used a chimney to light up a bucket of coals I would've had a worse experience. I did read some bad comments about the IQ110 and judging from my experience, I'd say that how to light up your fire has a great role to play.

In all, it's a keeper. I'll use it again this weekend to cook something in the 350F, but it has worked remarkably well so far.

.... I learned that my top damper should be at 1. This is not just my first time with the IQ120, but also my first time with a temperature controller so I had a learning curve. For the slow cooking that I did, I lit up just a few charcoal and let the blower of the IQ120 do the rest to slowly bring the Keg up to temp over 30 mins.

Thanks for the tips.