Just bought a Pitmaster IQ 120

I didn't have problems with the lid closing on the probe wire. I didn't tape that part at all. I hooked the probe under the grill I used for my ribs (clipped it from below) so the whole surface was available.

However, I find your idea interesting. Do you clip the probe to anything or just leave it hanging in the oven? I'm guessing you just leave it dangling so there's no problems with opening the lid.

Gave the IQ120 another run tonight to cook a bacon-weaved meatloaf.  Today was particularly windy with storm cells running around.  On windy days, I typically have a hard time keeping proper temperature because of the extra and inconsistent rush of air in the oven.  However, with properly applied foil tape to cover the gaps around the intake, the IQ120 performed remarkably well in the wind!  I am quite happy with my purchase.

I test drove my IQ 120 today also.  I set it up for 275 and it held temp very well.  On start up I place my normal full firebox on lump in, used one cotton ball to light it up and let it go for maybe 5 minutes.  I closed the top vent to 1 and set the IQ 120 internal damper to 2 and turned it on.  Away it went in small "bursts" of air, temp climbed to 275 and just held super steady for 3 hours.  At the 3 hour mark I opened the lid to foil, the IQ detected lib open, closed the lid and it returned to my setting very quickly.  I'm happy with it's maiden voyage.  Now I just need to learn the food temp setting and alarms.

Aside for electing to cook at too high a temp and doing another stupid thing the cook was good.

• 1 month later...

I test drove my IQ 120 today also.  I set it up for 275 and it held temp very well.  On start up I place my normal full firebox on lump in, used one cotton ball to light it up and let it go for maybe 5 minutes.  I closed the top vent to 1 and set the IQ 120 internal damper to 2 and turned it on.  Away it went in small "bursts" of air, temp climbed to 275 and just held super steady for 3 hours.  At the 3 hour mark I opened the lid to foil, the IQ detected lib open, closed the lid and it returned to my setting very quickly.  I'm happy with it's maiden voyage.  Now I just need to learn the food temp setting and alarms.

Aside for electing to cook at too high a temp and doing another stupid thing the cook was good.

Hey Big Steve.  I think I have narrowed it down and am planning on getting the IQ 120.  Since it has been about a month, are you still happy with the purchase?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late response to your post.  Yes, I'm still happy with my purchase overall.  Just like learning how to "kamado bbq" it's reasonable to expect to go through a learning curve on how to use the Pitmaster IQ 120.   Some tips:  It's better for the IQ120 to work harder because the unit damper is set at "2" ("pinching it back") than it is for the damper to be left wide open.  If the internal damper on the unit is left wide open natural draft can pull more air in then you want for your desired temp.  I let the firebox temp come up as normal and start to pinch back on the top and bottom vents early on before I install the IQ120 and start it.  When I get close to my desired temp I set the internal damper at 2 and install the unit/hose/adapter and kick it off before I'm at my desired cooking temp.  The grill temp probe, well I mount that near, but not close to, the meat, and definitely not directly above what I call the "hot gas path" (area where hot air rises between firebox and deflector plate).  For your reference I've had no mechanical problems with the unit.

• 3 weeks later...

Follow up to my prior comments after more use with the IQ120.  I'm finding that setting the internal IQ120 inlet damper at "1" works out well.  The on/off cycle time is about 8 seconds off / 4 seconds on during my last cook.  Once you learn the normal on/off cycle of the fan, provided your intel dampner setting and kamado top vent setting remains constant, you can judge how much charcoal you have left.  As you run out of charcoal the fan will run more (to increase the temp) and the pit temp will start to fall off.  Stands to reason, right?  I saw this on one cook where I intentially shorted the normal amount of charcoal I placed in the firebox and went for long cook just to see how it work.

if on the other hand the fan doesn't cycle on, then you may have the exhaust vent open too much and probably have the IQ120 internal dampner setting open too much.  Would expect to see pit temp higher than desired.