Blue Cheese Buttah!

JeffieBoy

I know that a good steak, properly prepared and cooked doesn't need sauce or toppings etc, but whenever we have been served Beef Tenderloin, I have found this to be a big help.

I simply find some good blue cheese and let it come close to room temperature. I match that with an equal amount of slightly chilled butter. I take a minute or two to cream them together well and then spoon them out onto cellophane (use a generous piece). Form the mix into a tube similar to a roll of quarters, by however long needed. Wrap the cello like a sausage casing and turn the ends to create a nice tight tube of Blue Cheese Buttah. Then toss it into the fridge.

An hour later, just before the tenderloins are done, slice a piece onto the top of each steak. Let it melt for a minute and enjoy! I usually keep a roll in the door of the freezer, ready to go. Very decadent.

I use a similar method to create thyme butter (good on steaks), rosemary/garlic butter (good on lamb or roasted potatoes), lemon/pepper/garlic butter (good on fish). Tightly rolled in cellophane, it keeps a long time in the refrigerator. It freezes well too.

• 6 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By St1brew
      First of all, I would like to say that I hope everyone had a great Christmas or holiday that was spent with the special people in your life. Happy New Year to all. 

Now onto the cook!
      Preheat the oven to 500 f. 
      We started with a 5.5 lbs four bone "prime" prime rib. We left it out for the majority of the morning to let it get to room temp. This cook was done almost exactly to the Food Wishes method, video here: Food Wishes Prime Rib.
      Here is me coating it with 2 sticks of softened butter. I used freshly ground black pepper, garlic, oregano, cilantro, and rosemary in the butter in no specific measurements(eyeballed it). It smelled great. Wish I had lavender in the house, but went with what I had.

Note the dog, who would've gladly eaten ANY of this raw....

After that, simply coat the butter with kosher salt.
      This couldn't be any more simple from here. Make sure the oven is at 500. Then it's 5 minutes per pound rounding up(ex 5.5lbs = 30 minutes cook time) add one minute for heat loss on opening oven. As soon as the timer goes off, shut the oven off and place two hours on the timer. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN! At the end of two hours, remove meat. I probed mine because I wanted to be sure it would be done, and admittedly I was a bit worried and felt like I was flying blind with an expensive piece of beef. Here's the probe right out of the oven.

130 right on the button! The Bones were removed with a very slight pull.
      Still a bit concerned, I was eager to see the cross section, so I sliced right down the middle.
      I probably could have used a butter knife. Here are the halves.

And finally here are the MONEY SHOTS!

It was delicious and I recommend giving it a try. My wife made some nice cream cheese whipped potatoes, steamed broccoli and stuffed mushrooms. We ate it with a nice glass of red wine, which complemented the meal nicely. Everyone loved it(even the dog and cat, that had a few small scraps)!
    • By DerHusker
      The local market had Top Sirloin on sale so I picked up a steak. (This was actually $5.31)

Rubbed it down with the above ingredients and wrapped it up to get happy overnight.

Got my Jumbo Joe scorching hot and place on the steak. (Sorry for the blurry Pic)

Seared it for 2 minutes and then flipped it and seared the other side for 2 minutes. I then moved it over the indirect side for 6 minutes and it was done.

I brought it in and let it rest for 5 minutes. I then sliced it up, plated it and then spread on some softened Blue-Cheese & Herb Compound Butter. (See Link: Blue Cheese and Herb Compound Butter)

Delicious!

Thanks for looking.

• By DerHusker
      One of my favorite toppings on steak is Blue-cheese & Herb Compound Butter. I made this many time before but I ran out of what I had in the freezer so I made some more up Monday night. Here are the ingredients for this batch. You can load it up with your favorite ingredients. (like John's recipe below)

5 oz. Crumbled Blue Cheese

1 stick Unsalted Butter

1/4 cup Italian Parsley Leaves (Minced)

1 tsp. Thyme

1 tsp. Dill

1 tsp. Fresh Ground Black Pepper

Place the blue cheese and the soften butter in a bowl.

Add the minced the parsley, and other ingredients and thoroughly mix together with a fork.

Spoon approximately 1/4 of the mixture onto some plastic wrap.

Take the front edge of the wrap and tuck over the mixture and roll this up and then twist the ends tightly to form a log.

Repeat with the balance of the mixture.

I took one log and put in into the fridge and the other three I froze for future use.

Thanks for looking.

• By John Setzler
      I made some bleu cheese compound butter to use on some ribeye steaks last night and though I'd share this recipe with you:

Bleu Cheese Compound Butter
      3/4 lb unsalted butter (12oz/3 sticks), softened 1/2 lb crumbled bleu cheese (8oz) 2 tablespoons stone ground mustard 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried thyme) 1/2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano (or 1 tsp dried oregano) 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder Cream then butter and then fold in the rest of the ingredients.  You can do this in a food processor but I recommend folding in the crumbled bleu cheese by hand so it maintains it's 'crumbled' nature in the compound butter.  Dump it out on saran wrap and roll it up and then twist it into a tube.  Slice off as needed and store in the freezer when not in use...
      I like to use a slice of this on a big steak.... it's awesome!  
    • By bjunge
      Quick burger night last week I forgot about... thought I'd change up my usual sauteed onion burger and found this gem... a new favorite:

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 1/2 large red onion, thinly sliced Kosher salt 1 cup dry red wine 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar 2 teaspoons honey 1 thyme sprig Freshly ground pepper 2 pounds ground sirloin 4 ounces Stilton cheese, cut into slices 8 mini brioche or kaiser rolls, split Spinach leaves (or whatever lettuce you prefer)   In a skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion and a pinch of salt and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the red wine, vinegar, honey and thyme and simmer, stirring, until the liquid has evaporated, 15 minutes. Season the onion jam with salt and pepper; discard the thyme.   Usual burger grill temps around 450 or so..   Generously season the sirloin with salt and pepper, a couple of shakes of Worcestershire and some dried onions . Mix gently, then shape into eight 1-inch-thick patties; season again with salt and pepper.   Grill the burgers, turning once, until charred on the outside and pink within, about 3 minutes per side. Just before the burgers are done, top them with the Stilton. Transfer to a platter.   Lightly grill the buns. Set the burgers on the buns.   Top with the onion jam and spinach/lettuce and serve - BOOM.     Cheers!