Salmon Cedar Plank Question

i did my first cedar plank salmon last weekend. Kept skin on, brined in a little brown sugar and salt for a hour and so, then rubbed some Famous Dave's rib rub on it. Grilled indirect for about 35 minutes until internal temp of about 145. Seasoning was great and was a hit for my guests but honestly I didnt "taste" the cedar plank... seems it was only good for keeping the salmon nicely intact while on the grill.

I think the skin created a barrier from the cedar penetrating flavor into the salmon and the grill was not hot enough to really get the cedar active.

Next time I will take the skin off and direct grill.

I did skin off last weekend, but I let the plank heat up smooth side down first for about 10 mins. Then flipped it and put the salmon on it for cooking (I always cook with the salmon on the smooth side). With the plank hot, it resulted in a very evenly cooked fish and it was ohhhh so good!!

Use fresh or thawed Wild Caught salmon. Wild Alaskan king or Scottish wild salmon are best.

farm raised or so called Atlantic salmon is crap and full of coloring and antibiotics, don't buy it.

Put 2 tbs each of olive oil and smooth Dijon mustard with fresh cracked pepper and a pinch of sea salt to taste in a small bowl. Whisk it until totally emulsified. Brush the the mixture on the salmon.

I use a cherry plank, soaked in water for 1 hour.

Put the plank on the grill to heat it for 10 minutes. Flip it over, and put salmon on the hot plank, skin side down (I brush the skin lightly with evoo) close the lid for 10 minutes to build up a nice smoke and then check it and let it cook until the desired doneness.

It will be the best planked salmon you ever had.

Use fresh or thawed Wild Caught salmon. Wild Alaskan king or Scottish wild salmon are best.

farm raised or so called Atlantic salmon is crap and full of coloring and antibiotics, don't buy it.

Put 2 tbs each of olive oil and smooth Dijon mustard with fresh cracked pepper and a pinch of sea salt to taste in a small bowl. Whisk it until totally emulsified. Brush the the mixture on the salmon.

I use a cherry plank, soaked in water for 1 hour.

Put the plank on the grill to heat it for 10 minutes. Flip it over, and put salmon on the hot plank, skin side down (I brush the skin lightly with evoo) close the lid for 10 minutes to build up a nice smoke and then check it and let it cook until the desired doneness.

It will be the best planked salmon you ever had.

Bassman, That Cherry plank is a great idea. Thanks for that. Can't beat a Fresh Copper River Salmon from Alaska. Yeah baby.

i did my first cedar plank salmon last weekend. Kept skin on, brined in a little brown sugar and salt for a hour and so, then rubbed some Famous Dave's rib rub on it. Grilled indirect for about 35 minutes until internal temp of about 145. Seasoning was great and was a hit for my guests but honestly I didnt "taste" the cedar plank... seems it was only good for keeping the salmon nicely intact while on the grill.

I think the skin created a barrier from the cedar penetrating flavor into the salmon and the grill was not hot enough to really get the cedar active.

Next time I will take the skin off and direct grill.

I leave the skin on but direct grill. The cedar needs to be soaked. The smoldering cedar is what gives it the flavor. The salmon will come right off the skin when you eat it.