Shutdown ?

When I get done cooking and shutdown everything my temps always spike for a few hours. Is that normal? I'm thinking I might have a leak some where, but it doesn't spike when I'm cooking. Just curious if this has happened to anyone else? ;)

I just sealed mine yesterday with the RTV and now I don't leak and hold heat great! only problem is its been shut down for the last hour plus and its still over 300 degrees!! did i overseal?

For a kamado, I think you would want it as air tight as possible. Check for other air leaks. Were you using a lot of lump?

I just did my first initial break in seasoning if you will keep in mind I sealed up my ash tray with rtv iv been shut down now for almost 2 hours and it will not go below 200* the only thing I can see is the gasket around lid does not sit flush as the screws or rivets on the bowl are keeping the gasket from sitting flush thus intern is letting air in hence my temp not dropping anyone else see what I'm describing? And what can we do about it?

I just did my first initial break in seasoning if you will keep in mind I sealed up my ash tray with rtv iv been shut down now for almost 2 hours and it will not go below 200* the only thing I can see is the gasket around lid does not sit flush as the screws or rivets on the bowl are keeping the gasket from sitting flush thus intern is letting air in hence my temp not dropping anyone else see what I'm describing? And what can we do about it?

Do you have the lid latched?

Do you have the lid latched?

Funny you mention that, no i do not only because the latch was missing on the lid when i bought it chargriller has sent one out should be here this week will that make a difference? maybe? but we should not have to latch it shut when using it to keep it closed. I know that on my broil king Keg never needs to be latched to seal.

I was skeptical about completely closing the vents to suffocate the charcoals (complete noob right now), but my CGK went down to 0 within an hour or so (from 450). I did latch the lid.

Oh, I don't have any RTV on the CGK.... yet. I haven't done a smoke session with it yet so I want to see how much leaking there actually is with mine before sealing.

I was skeptical about completely closing the vents to suffocate the charcoals (complete noob right now), but my CGK went down to 0 within an hour or so (from 450). I did latch the lid.

Oh, I don't have any RTV on the CGK.... yet. I haven't done a smoke session with it yet so I want to see how much leaking there actually is with mine before sealing.

Mine dies out really fast as soon as I close both vents! If it is a slow 250° or under cook within a half hour the temps have fallen 100°.

wow.. well either i have a leak which i think i do around the lid not sitting well as the screws or rivets on the bowl is holding up the gasket (seen smoke come from there). Now i also should realize that its going to need multiple cooks to seal things up a bit ill try again on the weekend.

When I have overshot the temp by quite a bit. I have shut all the vents and waited about ten to fifteen minutes and then opened the top to let the heat out then shut it and slowly opened the vents.

I don,t guess that would work very well if all the coal were red though.