Kroger brand lump...

gemstatejake

Just want to give a heads up as I noticed some were inquring about lump. This Kroger branded lump is the best I've come across so far. Nice size chunks, easy to light, and burns evenly with manageable temps. Cheap too, 5.99 right now for 8.8lb bag. Not sure where they are sourcing it I'm sure its rebranded but the stuff works very well.

You guys must have been very lucky. My bag had two or three medium size pieces and the rest was garbage. I bought it last year--maybe they have improved. I have never bought another bag.

When buying bags of lump charcoal you really need to buy one from near the top of the pallet, and grope around the bag somewhat to make sure you don't pick a "dud" bagful of dust and crumbs. I don't blame the company for this result, only the handling of the product. I do blame the company when there's a huge fireplace log size of lump in the bag.

I recently bought a giant bag of "Wicked Good Lump Charcoal" (from Maine) - in a Job-Lot Store for a very low price, and it turned out to be really nice stuff! I actually bought it cuz the name was just too cool to pass by, though I picked my bag as carefully as I could.

Read on a blog somewhere that Kroger uses the same provider as BGE and Royal Oak lump (maybe Royal Oak does BGE and Kroger). Not sure how legit the statement is, but I just bought a bag of Kroger and RO, and i'll be sure to compare the two after opening. 

Royal Oak is the OEM supplier for several store house brands. I've also heard they do Kroger. Managers at both GFS and Publix have told me that theirs is Royal Oak.  

<snip>

I recently bought a giant bag of "Wicked Good Lump Charcoal" (from Maine) - in a Job-Lot Store for a very low price, and it turned out to be really nice stuff! I actually bought it cuz the name was just too cool to pass by, though I picked my bag as carefully as I could.

Your high opinion of Wicked Good is shared by many users.  Around my area there are two stores that carry it, but they both think it's gold, and charge accordingly.