This is my first cook on the Akorn and with charcoal grilling. Picked one up at Kroger a couple days ago.

Did a practice run the other night and the akorn held steady at 215 for an hour, then I moved it up to 350 to season the cast iron with some crisco. Both temperatures held incredibly steady.

First cook started this morning with a 5lb Boston Butt. I accidentally snuffed out the fire a couple times but eventually got the hang of it. Temperature settled at 230, but after 30 min my brand new Maverick ET 732 food probe went dead, and then an hour later the grill probe went dead. When I pulled the probes out of the transmitters, both connections tips appear broken (these things were cheaply made.) Customer service from Maverick is sending me some new ones.

Right now the butt is cooking blind. Im just using the dome thermometer which has been holding steady right at 200 for 4 hours, I think its about 30 degrees off. I opened the grill for the first time and the meat read 160 with an analog probe.

Any suggestions on how often I should open the dome and check the meat temp?

6 hours in. Still at 160 (2 hour stall). BTW that's rosemary (not larvae), didn't have the powder stuff.

Dome temp holding steady at 200. 

post-2843-0-64849400-1376076341_thumb.jp