1st time pizza a flop!

keyfin

I think for best results at higher temps you should have a pretty thin crust and don't go real heavy on the toppings.  The thicker the crust and the more topping the lower the temp should be.  Doing a steak at 500 works great but doing a roast at 500 would probably burn the outside before the middle even got warm.

This thread has some examples of crust/toppings for cooking at about 500

scratch pizza:
http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/2339-pizza-pizza-and-more-pizza-lessons-learned/?hl=pizza

Prefab pizza:

http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/1613-2-different-pizza-trials/?hl=pizza

I find it easier to cook the pizza at 425-450 on my vision. I get more consistent results. The other thing you could try is getting some fire bricks and raising your top grill.

Hi Setton, 

That pizza and the set up look great!!  :) I'm going to be making my first pizza on the grill today. I have the Professional M series grill (also by Vision Grills).  I picked up a CuisineArt 12" Pizza Stone, which I plan on using on the bottom rack (I haven't used the first rack yet).  My question is/are:

1. Do you recommend placing the pizza stone on the very top rack (i.e. away from the fire as much as possible)?  

2. How the heck are people getting the temperature up to 500-600F?  The most I have been able to get is 400.  That 400 was achieved by keeping the electric fire starter inside the grill while cooking.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Setton--I would recommend the pizza stone away from the fire as much as possible.  I had used my stone accidentally as a heat deflector and it didn't survive.  It cracked into 9 pieces and fell into the fire.  Pizza stones are not the same as heat deflectors (at least not the Kamado Joe deflectors)

To get your grill temp up to 500-600, open all vents wide open until you get to 50 degrees from where you want to be, then start shutting down.  You should only use your electric starter for 8-10 minutes, then pull it out of the charcoal.  Leave your grill lid up for about 10 minutes more, then close it with the vents wide open.  Your temp should go up pretty fast from there.

Setton--I would recommend the pizza stone away from the fire as much as possible. I had used my stone accidentally as a heat deflector and it didn't survive. It cracked into 9 pieces and fell into the fire. Pizza stones are not the same as heat deflectors (at least not the Kamado Joe deflectors)

To get your grill temp up to 500-600, open all vents wide open until you get to 50 degrees from where you want to be, then start shutting down. You should only use your electric starter for 8-10 minutes, then pull it out of the charcoal. Leave your grill lid up for about 10 minutes more, then close it with the vents wide open. Your temp should go up pretty fast from there.

Thanks Woodman! I always kept the lid closed but keeping the lid open makes sense. Also, thanks for the heads up about the pizza stone. Will use it on the top most rack. Thanks again!

Hopefully I'll have a success story to share here today :)

Thanks guys! So I tried making my first pizza. Taste-wise it was good. However, the first one was too thick/doughy and the second was too thin. Like Goldilocks, I need to find that perfect pizza :D Also, I used store bought dough. Definitely not using that again.

Some challenges:

I found that bringing the Kamado to 600F was impossible. I'm wondering whether I didn't put enough charcoal? (I filled it just up to the holes).

Also, how do you go about browning the top? I found the bottom was cooking pretty fast and I was afraid I'd burn the pizza so I stuck it in the oven to brown the top after. post-3330-13770032146131_thumb.jpgpost-3330-13770032231932_thumb.jpgpost-3330-13770032306531_thumb.jpg