1st time pizza a flop!

keyfin

And whether you bake at 400 or 600+,  keep your Vision at your desired cooking temp for at least 30 minutes or more before putting on your pies. The ceramics need to get up to temp.

Get your pizza high in the dome and the radiated heat will brown your pie. 

And whether you bake at 400 or 600+,  keep your Vision at your desired cooking temp for at least 30 minutes or more before putting on your pies. The ceramics need to get up to temp.

So using an Akorn I should either elevate pizza stone or use top rack?

Stone and hood need to be close to the same temp or the bottom will burn.  I've found that I can't get as high of temp with used lump.  I make sure to use at least 1/2 fresh lump when doing high temp cooks.

Thanks guys, will try that next time. 

So using an Akorn I should either elevate pizza stone or use top rack?

Yes. And I have the pizza stone up high, with a diffuser on a lower rack. 

Getting the pie up in the hood isn't that important.  Whats more important is that the hood and the stone are close to the same temp. The most common problem people have cooking pizza in a kamado (or a gas grill) is that they start out without a diffuser and the stone is getting direct heat.  The stone could be 700 degrees and the hood is 500.  You'll never know unless you use a IR gun.  The bottom burns and the top wont brown.  Many try to move the stone up higher which seems to help mostly because you now have the stone farther from the fire so its getting less direct heat.  It not really fixing the problem.  I just makes it less of a problem.  You have to use a diffuser and stone or 2 stones and spacers.  Then preheat them for at least an hour so everything is the same temp.  I often preheat for 1.5 hours since I use a plate setter and 2 stones. 

If you dont preheat long enough with this set up you get the opposite effect.  The top browns too fast and the bottom is not cooked enough.  Stone is too cold compared to the hood temp.

I've made a ton of pies trying a lot of different stone set-up.  With this set up it doesn't make any difference how high in the dome the stone is.  I can put it below the lid level and they cook even.

Just what Ive found.  Play around with it and see what you think.

Getting the pie up in the hood isn't that important.  Whats more important is that the hood and the stone are close to the same temp. The most common problem people have cooking pizza in a kamado (or a gas grill) is that they start out without a diffuser and the stone is getting direct heat.  The stone could be 700 degrees and the hood is 500.  You'll never know unless you use a IR gun.  The bottom burns and the top wont brown.  Many try to move the stone up higher which seems to help mostly because you now have the stone farther from the fire so its getting less direct heat.  It not really fixing the problem.  I just makes it less of a problem.  You have to use a diffuser and stone or 2 stones and spacers.  Then preheat them for at least an hour so everything is the same temp.  I often preheat for 1.5 hours since I use a plate setter and 2 stones. 

If you dont preheat long enough with this set up you get the opposite effect.  The top browns too fast and the bottom is not cooked enough.  Stone is too cold compared to the hood temp.

I've made a ton of pies trying a lot of different stone set-up.  With this set up it doesn't make any difference how high in the dome the stone is.  I can put it below the lid level and they cook even.

Just what Ive found.  Play around with it and see what you think.

I'm on it!

THANKS

I use a Vision pro.  So does the deflector go to the lowest position or on the top rack when cooking a pizza (directly under or one rack lower on a double grill rack)?  I cooked one last week just using a pizza stone & it turned out pretty good (not oven good but good).  I use Publix dough which is basically a ball of bread dough cook 400 for 20-25 min.  Really didn't have time to do any test cooks prior to the first but want a good final product and not break my wife's frakin pampered chef baking stone.  Also very cool site glad I found you fine fellows.

Greetings beerme and welcome to Kamado Guru. Please stop by the Introductions forum and introduce yourself.

The deflector goes at the lowest position and the pizza stone the highest into the dome as possible so the dome radiates heat down on the pizza toppings. (top rack is OK but higher would be better) Here's a link to a Pizza techniques post you can read.

http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/6438-pizza-techniques-guidance-gear-tips-tricks/