Sign in to follow this  
dtbubba

Kamado: FINALLY!

Hello All!

Just purchased a Big Joe yesterday and made my first meal last night: Cowboy ribeye, red potatoes and corn on the cob. 

I hope to smoke big pieces of meat: baby backs, beef short ribs, brisket, pork butt, etc. Really looking to try my hand at smoking my own ham this Christmas. 

My biggest struggle so far (you know, in 24hours) is getting the temperature right (over cooked the steak on one side) and dealing with the cool down time (pretty much all night). 

I'm an arts pastor at an evangelical church in the west suburbs of Chicago. I'm in charge of all things arts and media so I like long slow smokes to give me an excuse to slow down myself and take a breather. I've been cooking since I was twelve and cut my teeth as a grill man at Olive Garden during college turning out hundreds of steaks, chicken and fish with little room for error every night. I've done mostly off-set cooking on gas grills with chips and chunks for smoke for the last 5 years and I'm glad to finally have my big joe. Took lots of patience and quite a bit of saving but now I'm going to take every chance I get to fire that baby up. 

Thankful for this forum (used it to find out how long it takes to cool the grill or if there was a technique I was not aware of last night). 

Blessings,

DTBubba

post-3366-0-64221600-1377033597_thumb.jp

Welcome and glad you found us! Congrats on the new Joe, nice choice. They say the red ones cook better, ha! It will take some time to get use to cooking on a kamado but all your favorites will taste so much better. Good luck and feel free to jump in and join the conversation.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Graham
      Morning Kamado Warriors, 

First time poster and an all round amateur "cooker" in all honesty. Been using cheap hardware store Charcoal BBQs for about 10 years but decided that if i am going to be stuck at home for months then i am going to do it with a beer in my hand and a decent plate of food in front of me. I have just purchased a Big Joe 3 and it's on it's way ... Here comes the concern.

I live in the UK and have no access to my garden, i have to go through the house. UK Standard door width is 29" (74cms) ... is the dam thing actually going to fit through the door? Due to COVID, its me and my wife and we can't ask people for help due to the restriction in the UK. I can lift / shift a 100Kg washer dryer on my own but it almost kills me. My wife is fairly strong but i am worried that we will not be able to move the BBQ into the house to wait for reinforcements.   
      I should thought of these things before buying a ceramic hulk but all the pictures of you guys enjoying a veritable conucopia of meat dishes made me hasty!

Graham
    • By MurphyBBQ
      Cooking my first brisket on the KJ Classic 2 and had a lot of trouble with thick white smoke. My process below, if anybody can help me find the mistake it would be much appreciated!

- Loaded KJ with Jealous Devil lump charcoal and mix ~5-7 oak log chunks of medium (?) size. Logs were highly likely kiln dried but I did get them in firewood-like logs from a meat market vs the mass distro grocery store/home improvement bags
      - Used Royal Oak starters and got the lump lit for about 15 minutes, then a couple of the oak chunks caught and I got a decent fire.
      - Closed the top but opened the vent fully to try to let it smoke out and carbonize. Temp jumped pretty quickly to about 350 so I choked it back and got it stable around 260 but the thick white smoke continued for a solid 45+ minutes at which point I had no choice but to start the meat
      - White smoke continued for another hour+ after this, albeit it didnt billow out quite as aggressively. This went on for a couple of hours at least which seemed like an excessively long time.

Thoughts? Advice?
      Thanks!
    • By Jnoles
      Just bought a Kamado Joe Classic II about 5 days ago. Love almost everything about it so far but there is one thing that has me a bit concerned. The hinge seems to be making an audible creaking noise both when being opened and closed. I didn’t notice this at all when I first bought the cooker. Didn’t really seem to notice until after the 2nd cook or so. Is this a common sound with the grill, or something that will go away with time, or is this something I should be investigating? Hinge seems to work fine. I did tighten it to fine tune it but other than that it’s just the sound. 
    • By kamababy
      Hi Everyone,

Just joined... woohoo!!

So, as you can guess I just got my first kamado grill. A Joe Junior for me!!

And I have many questions... :)

I have been lurking on the forums for sometime now and it's time to join finally. Glad to be here and talk to you fine folks.