Adult beverages - Whisky, Bourbon & Scotch

Zukatah

Ohh yeah, I usually have a Laphroaig quarter cask that's there too. When I come to think of it, it's nuts that my booze inventory is worth more than my electronics. 

I've never tried Teacher's. What's the flavour profile on it?

Teacher's is a blend of a few different Scotches.  One of the Scotches used is Talisker.  If I am not mistaken, Talisker is a peaty, Islay Scotch.  I've never had it straight, unfortunately.  But Teacher's is definitely an Islay.  Its peatiness is not overwhelming, but it is pronounced.  Sadly, I haven't had it in almost three years...but I can taste it right now.  So good.

Currently I have bulleit rye, scapa 16, russel's reserve, russel's reserve rye, the speyside, buffalo trace,old overholt, canadian club reserve, and glenlivit 12. I just ran our of Makers 46. As you can see I like the brown stuff, and rye's in particular =)

Currently I have bulleit rye, scapa 16, russel's reserve, russel's reserve rye, the speyside, buffalo trace,old overholt, canadian club reserve, and glenlivit 12. I just ran our of Makers 46. As you can see I like the brown stuff, and rye's in particular =)

How's Maker's 46 compared to regular Maker's? Been wanting to try it sometime. A guy from Southern Wine and Spirits was telling me once that Maker's parent company (Jim Beam) approached the founder of Maker's and challenged him to come up with a high end version of Maker's. So the founder and his distillers started from scratch and concocted dozens of different mash recipes, distilled them, waited, sampled, blind taste tested.. No matter how hard they tried they couldn't come up with a better recipe than Maker's. That's when the head distiller brought down a barrel that was just being ready to be sealed. Before they sealed it, he grabbed many toasted barrel staves and threw them into the barrel. Then they added the Whisky and sealed it. The result was Maker's 46. Basically, Maker's Mark with added oak staves in the barrel to give it an oakier, earthier flavor and feel.

Single Malts tend to be overpriced here in Ontario. My favourite cheapie is MacLelland's Highland Malt. We find that in Ohio for about 18-20 bucks a bottle. My wife brought me a bottle of Glen Breton Rare from just down the road from you in Cape Breton. My understanding is that it is the only "certified" Single Malt made this side of Ireland. Quite expensive. The other drink that we have been into lately is from a small craft distillery here in Ontario, named Dillon's. They make a "White Rye" that is like drinking smoke and heat. I tripped over it a few months back after bringing some (commercially made) 'shine from Chicago. Available at the distillery in Vineland, or through the LCBO. They also do a Vodka, Gin, and about three or four different Bitters. Other products are coming, such as Absynthe.

e1a69bbc33d95563b0a0e5812a72e064.jpg

a0645dc193d15a64771132d6a65b7ef4.jpg

My bourbon sampler list, in no particular order,  (many are small batch or single barrel):

Woodford Reserve, Baker’s, Basil Hayden’s, Bookers, Blanton’s, Elijah Craig, Buffalo Trace, Wathen’s, Jefferson’s, Knob Creek, Noah’s Mill....  

A few of my top favorites are the Noah's Mill  (thanks to my son-in-law- who found this one), Wathen's and of course Woodford.

In a related note -. (long story short here ).  my IPAD apparently likes the 1/4 bottle of Jack Daniels that happened to leak out onto it.   :mrgreen:

When I can be discerning

Single Barrel Jack Daniels

Crown Royal Reserve

Any good bourbon

Oban 14 year, not sure I like the Distiller's Edition or not

Laphroaig 18 year, and Quarter Cask. The only time I like the 10 year old Scotch is in a smoked martini.

Tres Generacions Tequila Repesoda 

Need to branch out more in my Scotch and bourbons

I've had Johnny Walker Gold, Green and Blue. If I remember, the Blue and Gold were too mellow for me. I liked the green better.

Maker's is about the best screwtop stuff I've found.  Consistent.

I don't often drink liquor but when I do its' mostly some good cactus juice to go along with whatever suds I'm sipping on.

20130705_174044_zps1aa147ea.jpg