Adult beverages - Whisky, Bourbon & Scotch

Zukatah

Ah yes. Boli Royal Corona. My first robusto. My first cigar de Habana. An introduction that I will never forget. I have the last few members of a 12 year old box aging nicely in the humidor. Currently my favorite is the San Cristibol line. Great evolution of flavor in every stick. Earthy. Smooth. And thick.

The pepin San cristolbol line is pretty good also.. Never had a Havana cristolbol, for that matter not many Havanas.

I do love the bolivar, in fact excuse me for the evening. Neat rum poured, heading outside..

Rau

Currently I have bulleit rye, scapa 16, russel's reserve, russel's reserve rye, the speyside, buffalo trace,old overholt, canadian club reserve, and glenlivit 12. I just ran our of Makers 46. As you can see I like the brown stuff, and rye's in particular =)

How's Maker's 46 compared to regular Maker's? Been wanting to try it sometime. A guy from Southern Wine and Spirits was telling me once that Maker's parent company (Jim Beam) approached the founder of Maker's and challenged him to come up with a high end version of Maker's. So the founder and his distillers started from scratch and concocted dozens of different mash recipes, distilled them, waited, sampled, blind taste tested.. No matter how hard they tried they couldn't come up with a better recipe than Maker's. That's when the head distiller brought down a barrel that was just being ready to be sealed. Before they sealed it, he grabbed many toasted barrel staves and threw them into the barrel. Then they added the Whisky and sealed it. The result was Maker's 46. Basically, Maker's Mark with added oak staves in the barrel to give it an oakier, earthier flavor and feel.

Close on the Makers. The 46 stands for the profile of the staves the distillers attached to the inside of the barrels. French oak was used. If you like wheaten bourbons give the Weller family a shot. Wl Weller special reserve, entry level 90 proof, Old Weller Antique 107 proof, if you can find it Weller 12 year, last but not least William Larue Weller from the BTAC.

My daily drinker changes quite frequently, I work in a BBQ/whiskey restaurant that has over 165 whiskies of those over 60 are bourbons. I am really enjoying Big Bottom 111 proof right now. Got to support local Oregon bourbons.

For those of you that enjoy Bourbon or Whiskey ought to try Meatheads Tenn Hollerin BBQ sauce recipe on amazing ribs.. I made it up for a buddy a few weeks ago using "knobs creek" the concentrating of the whiskey really hits home in the flavor.. My buddy a whiskey lover was in heaven, me having bad experiences with whiskey when I was younger it brought back far to many bad memories. 

For those of you that enjoy Bourbon or Whiskey ought to try Meatheads Tenn Hollerin BBQ sauce recipe on amazing ribs.. I made it up for a buddy a few weeks ago using "knobs creek" the concentrating of the whiskey really hits home in the flavor.. My buddy a whiskey lover was in heaven, me having bad experiences with whiskey when I was younger it brought back far to many bad memories. 

Did that to go along with some pulled pork and later used for ribs. Everybody loved it. Kept the original proportions and my girlfriend, who's not a whiskey lover by any account, loved it along with the rest of the family (served some to 15 people on the weekend). 

John Jacobs from the Fremont Distillery - Seattle Washington

Tasting Notes: ripple of oaky vanilla, buttery-creamy on the pallet, warm with no whiskey burn. Slight sweet caramel on the finish.
“Genius in a bottle”.  Sunset Magazine, May 2013
“Beautiful, youthful rye spirit, with crackling rye spiciness. Ripple of oaky vanilla gives way to sweet caramel and hints of floral notes. – LB  Whisky Advocate, 2012

post-3196-0-93744500-1378338019.png

Picked up a bottle of Teachers after seeing it here a couple of times. Nice flavour, very, very, very smooth. I like something with a bit more punch but this is a fine weekday sipper! It's priced very similarly to Johnnie Walker Red here. I think I like Johnnie better but it's nowhere near as smooth (you have to go for the Black which is significantly costlier to get close).