Sign in to follow this  
appsspec

Temp rising after being locked in

Got a question for all you kamado experts. I am doing ribs today and had my KJBJ parked at 225 for the better part of an hour. Then the temp started creeping up. Got up to 250 before i could get it back down, Any idea what caused the temp rise, especially after being locked in for an hour? Not sure if it has anything to do with one of the bigger pieces of lump igniting? Using KJ lump. 

Which vent to you mainly use for temp control? Upper? Lower? Both?

Got a question for all you kamado experts. I am doing ribs today and had my KJBJ parked at 225 for the better part of an hour. Then the temp started creeping up. Got up to 250 before i could get it back down, Any idea what caused the temp rise, especially after being locked in for an hour? Not sure if it has anything to do with one of the bigger pieces of lump igniting? Using KJ lump.

Which vent to you mainly use for temp control? Upper? Lower? Both?

When doing low-n-slows I used both vents. Both are almost completely closed. 25° is an unusual temp variance on the KJ. It happens, but is infrequent. I wouldn't sweat it... just roll with it and know that it's not the norm. If I am not using my CyberQ, I rarely experience a temp variance of more than 15-20°+/- set temp. And that is completely fine by me...it has absolutely no negative affect on the food being cooked.

Thanks for the info, i was probably nit picking the temp a bit but it was solid for an hour then creeping. I was trying to keep my bottom vent open about 25% (mine has the screen, not sure of that matters to much) and using the top vent only. I'll try and close the bottom a bit more and see what happens. 

Thanks again. 

Also, I let my big joe run for an hour or so before I put the meat on. When you put cold meat on a warm Kamado, the temp reading will naturally drop until things stabilize. Don't sweat it either way, just make your adjustment as needed. It's just a little learning curve and the variance won't affect your overall cook anyway.

That swing from 225-250 is one that I'd never even bat an eye at.  However, if it dropped to 200 from 225 then I'd have some issues with it.  225 is the ABSOLUTE BARE MINIMUM I would ever consider cooking at.  If, by chance, you would decide to cook at 250 instead of 225, then a 25 degree swing in either direction would be no problem...

That swing from 225-250 is one that I'd never even bat an eye at.  However, if it dropped to 200 from 225 then I'd have some issues with it.  225 is the ABSOLUTE BARE MINIMUM I would ever consider cooking at.  If, by chance, you would decide to cook at 250 instead of 225, then a 25 degree swing in either direction would be no problem...

John, do you do ribs at 250? If so do you still do a 3-2-1 and foil? Or just run at 250 till done and no foil? Don't want to dry out the ribs, but that may not be a concern with a kamado.

John, do you do ribs at 250? If so do you still do a 3-2-1 and foil? Or just run at 250 till done and no foil? Don't want to dry out the ribs, but that may not be a concern with a kamado.

The 3-2-1 method is only good at 225°.  I don't normally use the 3-2-1 method.  I cook around 275 and use shorter times...

That swing from 225-250 is one that I'd never even bat an eye at. However, if it dropped to 200 from 225 then I'd have some issues with it. 225 is the ABSOLUTE BARE MINIMUM I would ever consider cooking at. If, by chance, you would decide to cook at 250 instead of 225, then a 25 degree swing in either direction would be no problem...

Not answering for John, by I will share that I have tried every temp between 225-310°. I much prefer the upper 200's...things cook faster, and the results are outstanding. I tend to settle my KJ in at 275 and rarely see it go more than 15° +/- that temp. And I have NEVER felt the need to use foil with ribs on my KJ. Prior to kamado cooking I found foil to be a must... no more :-)

Thanks for the info all, this forum and the members are awesome with all the information sharing. Next ribs I'll be trying in the upper 200's and see what happens. 

Here is the results of my practice yesterday. Ribs with Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ. Pretty soon I'll get into making my own BBQ sauce and rubs. 

post-1522-0-57073700-1378037158_thumb.jp

Thanks for the info all, this forum and the members are awesome with all the information sharing. Next ribs I'll be trying in the upper 200's and see what happens.

Here is the results of my practice yesterday. Ribs with Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ. Pretty soon I'll get into making my own BBQ sauce and rubs.

Those ribs look AWESOME!! One more bit if advice...lay a piece of aluminum foil across your heat deflector...sure does make clean up easy! :-)