New Vision owner w/ my first mod

Bought a Costco $299 Vision on Sunday. I've been using the Char-Griller Akorn for the last 18 months but I could not let the Vision deal get pass me.  I sealed the bottom vent w/ Nomex under the slider & added high temp. silicon on the edges of the outside slider frame.

I made a pan/stone hanger out of 1/8" x 1/2" steel & a Weber charcoal grate (#7440 18.5" but measures 13.5").

The steel was 2 - 3' lengths @ $3.57 each & the grate was $8.99.

As a bonus I picked up some bags of "True-Cue" lump for $3.18/8.8 lbs. 

The steel hangs down 3" so I will have room to place a drip pan or pizza stone under the grate. I also used 100 lb. stainless steel wire to wire the grate & steel together at the cross & at the four edges.

post-630-0-28633600-1378261172_thumb.jpgpost-630-0-38121000-1378261260_thumb.jpgpost-630-0-88269400-1378261277_thumb.jpg

Looks Great John421.  Question about the bracket:  Is it the Weldable Steel Slotted Metal Flat Bar from Lowes?  Item # 44108??

Are you worried about it rusting?    I was going to do the EXACT same thing, but use aluminum instead.  Maybe something wider than 1/2" for strength.

Thanks DerHusker.  

I looked up Aluminum's melting point, 1221 deg Fahrenheit.   Given I want the bracket for "low-and-slow" indirect coking, < 300 deg F, Aluminum should be OK right?   Even when I'm doing pizza, temperatures should be < 600 deg F.   

If I use steel, what are the implications of heating rusting steel and food?  

My plan is to use the bracket and a 14" cast iron skillet as a heat deflector/drip pan.

Thanks DerHusker.  

I looked up Aluminum's melting point, 1221 deg Fahrenheit.   Given I want the bracket for "low-and-slow" indirect coking, < 300 deg F, Aluminum should be OK right?   Even when I'm doing pizza, temperatures should be < 600 deg F.   

My plan is to use the bracket and a 14" cast iron skillet as a heat deflector/drip pan.

Caution here. The 300F dome temperature has nothing to do with the heat radiated up directly over the coals. Stainless is probably the best choice. I know that buying one costs money, and you lose the homemade satisfaction, but the Ceramic Grill Store has their Spider that's made for this exact purpose. I have one, and it works. Scroll down to the Spider picture.

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/vision-big-green-egg.html

Thanks DerHusker.  

That is the point where the metal turns to liquid. It “starts” to melt before that by becoming malleable. (Think Blacksmith) That said, you could maybe use it for Low n Slow (< 300) but I wouldn't try it with pizza.

Looks Great John421.  Question about the bracket:  Is it the Weldable Steel Slotted Metal Flat Bar from Lowes?  Item # 44108??

Are you worried about it rusting?    I was going to do the EXACT same thing, but use aluminum instead.  Maybe something wider than 1/2" for strength.

The steel came from Home Depot. It's in the area where they sell the nuts & bolts. It's standing upright w/ a bunch of other steel, galvanized & aluminum, threaded, angle & flat. The Home Depot display looks the same as Lowe's display. I think Crown Bolt is the company that stocks both stores. It looks the same as on the Lowe's web site              ( http://www.lowes.com/pd_44108-37672-11647_0__?Ntt=44108&UserSearch=44108&productId=3057585&rpp=32 ).

The salt water is about 100' feet from the grill is parked & I didn't have any rust problems (for the last 18 months) on my Char-Griller Akorn Weber diffuser grate or Walmart pizza pan. I would spray the bare steel w/ canola oil every 3-4 weeks. Between the oil & the smoke tar it kept the rust away. 

Ceramic Grill Store has their Spider that's made for this exact purpose. I have one, and it works. Scroll down to the Spider picture.

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/vision-big-green-egg.html

I would have ordered one of the Spiders but the drop below the grate is 2". I have accumulated & use different size & shaped drip pans & ceramic smoking stones depending upon what I'm cooking. Some of my drip pans sides are taller than 2" drop.