New Vision owner w/ my first mod

Bought a Costco $299 Vision on Sunday. I've been using the Char-Griller Akorn for the last 18 months but I could not let the Vision deal get pass me.  I sealed the bottom vent w/ Nomex under the slider & added high temp. silicon on the edges of the outside slider frame.

I made a pan/stone hanger out of 1/8" x 1/2" steel & a Weber charcoal grate (#7440 18.5" but measures 13.5").

The steel was 2 - 3' lengths @ $3.57 each & the grate was $8.99.

As a bonus I picked up some bags of "True-Cue" lump for $3.18/8.8 lbs. 

The steel hangs down 3" so I will have room to place a drip pan or pizza stone under the grate. I also used 100 lb. stainless steel wire to wire the grate & steel together at the cross & at the four edges.

attachicon.gifphoto-19.JPGattachicon.gifphoto-21.JPGattachicon.gifphoto-20.JPG

I was just wonderring how is this holding up? My bracket from vision is rusted and deformed. I was going to try this as a replacement. Also anything you would have done diffrent now that you have used it for a while?

I looked at this bar stock yesterday, wondering if I needed a 3 foot or 4 foot piece. It looks like the three is fine. As to the rust aspect, I guess unless I am buying stainless, the $7 rack I am going to make is replaceable several times before matching the cost of the other options and I will support the center so I could use two half shelves from the kiln supply store. I have a spare fire rack.

Does fire cause stainless to lose its temper and rust?

• 6 years later...
On 4/4/2014 at 9:59 AM, TechGuy said:

I looked at this bar stock yesterday, wondering if I needed a 3 foot or 4 foot piece. It looks like the three is fine. As to the rust aspect, I guess unless I am buying stainless, the $7 rack I am going to make is replaceable several times before matching the cost of the other options and I will support the center so I could use two half shelves from the kiln supply store. I have a spare fire rack.

Does fire cause stainless to lose its temper and rust?

Hi TechGuy, I have a Vision B series. Just wanted to know if you've made the bracket as I plan to make one as well. Was the stainless hard to bend? Any pics or specs would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2013 at 10:22 PM, John421 said:

Bought a Costco $299 Vision on Sunday. I've been using the Char-Griller Akorn for the last 18 months but I could not let the Vision deal get pass me.  I sealed the bottom vent w/ Nomex under the slider & added high temp. silicon on the edges of the outside slider frame.

I made a pan/stone hanger out of 1/8" x 1/2" steel & a Weber charcoal grate (#7440 18.5" but measures 13.5").

The steel was 2 - 3' lengths @ $3.57 each & the grate was $8.99.

As a bonus I picked up some bags of "True-Cue" lump for $3.18/8.8 lbs. 

The steel hangs down 3" so I will have room to place a drip pan or pizza stone under the grate. I also used 100 lb. stainless steel wire to wire the grate & steel together at the cross & at the four edges.

post-630-0-28633600-1378261172_thumb.jpgpost-630-0-38121000-1378261260_thumb.jpgpost-630-0-88269400-1378261277_thumb.jpg

hello john421, can you tell me what material you use for the brackets? my local HD doesn't carry stainless steel, they have zinc plated, aluminum only. Same with Lowes. Thank you