Serious BBQ by Adam Perry Lang - The Book

I have used pork loin to make the APL  pork chops pounded with seasoning--- three different times. Pounding in the seasoning does seem to work really well.  Once you apply the basting butter and flip every three minutes they darken in nicely . The finishing dressing takes it over the top.

Just spoted some Tomahawk steaks at a local store, Little over priced at  $11.99/lb, but they sure look nice.

This is almost double what other stores are selling PrimeRib at last week.

The big question --- How many pounds was one Tomahawk ??

John, I appreciate your commentary regarding this book. I'm no expert in the world of BBQ but after reading this book, it certainly helped build my confidence. So far I've tried 3 recipes from this cookbook; the honey ribs, pulled pork, and brisket. All have been the best I've ever made.

Another aspect of his recipes I like is the layering of flavors. For example the pulled pork has an apple juice injection, grated apples in the bbq sauce and apply jelly.

I was really hesitant to try a whole packer, but after reading the recipe I decided to go for it and the results were amazing.

Here is a pic of the finished product

20130817_203200.jpg

Nice job on the Brisket.  The Recipe is really good.  I too like the laying of flavors, especially the Wrapping Sauce.

My book arrived today! Just got to the cider brine pork chop recipe. Found the introduction to be very unassuming, which honestly isn't what I was expecting from a high profile chef.

I support the group cook idea, should be a great learning opportunity.

City Manager and Fire Chief cooked up some wings and legs. West Coast Style BBQ grilled over orange wood. Chicken was marinated in a homebrew of beer, soy, sugar, ginger, pepper flakes and misc other things.

post-2619-0-36201200-1378522387_thumb.jp

Since I saw there was such a big commotion about this book I thought I would buy it and give it a whirl , only thing is ordered it off amazon.ca , look at the email a couple of days later and realize that it ships between 2-4 weeks  , really ! what are they printing these thing on a 1800's printing press. Maybe should have went to Chapters -Indigo or something , so I guess I'll just wait.

Since I saw there was such a big commotion about this book I thought I would buy it and give it a whirl , only thing is ordered it off amazon.ca , look at the email a couple of days later and realize that it ships between 2-4 weeks , really ! what are they printing these thing on a 1800's printing press. Maybe should have went to Chapters -Indigo or something , so I guess I'll just wait.

I ordered mine on Sunday (if I remember correctly) they sent me a shipping notification and it is supposed to deliver on Friday. I think that 2-4 weeks on the order e-mail is the standard disclaimer.

Why does this say there is a dispute with the title on Amazon? I went to a local kitchen store today to see if they had it, of course the didn't, and the owner called her supplier to see about ordering it for me. She then told me the supplier told her that they were not publishing the book until next spring! What the heck is going on?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By John Setzler
      Bacon 24/7 - By Theresa Gilliam

I stumbled across this JEWEL of a book on the shelf at a local bookstore tonight and had to pick it up!  If you are a bacon lover (and who here isn't?) you are gonna want to check this book out!  It's full of recipes that feature bacon covering breakfast, lunch, dinner, appetizers, snacks, and desserts!  
    • By Mr Dave
      Hi Folks: I just started using my new Acorn yesterday. Did 3# Country Style "ribs" and (3) 3# pork loins. Overcooked just a bit but not bad for a start.

I was wondering what kamado cookbook you might recommend. I'm sure most of you have enough experience over the years to fill several volumes but a newby would appreciate something to refer to.

Thanks.

Mr Dave
    • By John Setzler
      Fire & Smoke: A Pitmaster's Secrets - Amazon

This arrived on my doorstep this week and I must say that it has some FANTASTIC stuff in it.  I haven't read through all of it yet but I have scanned all of the recipes and I am stoked about trying some of them!

My VERY FIRST BBQ cook was Chris Lilly's "Bare Naked Brisket" from the Big Bob Gibson cookbook and it was fantastic.  I have done that recipe several more times since then.  

• By John Setzler
      This is a recipe from Adam Perry Lang's "Serious Barbecue" book.  

Ingredients:

Brine:   1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes (rehydrated in 2 tablespoons of boiling water) 4 cups peach nectar 2 cups water 1/4 cup kosher salt 1/4 cup brown sugar 4 cloves of garlic, peeled, halved, and finely minced 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper   Seasoning Blend:   2 tablespoons chili powder 2 tablespoons dry mustard 1 tablespoon brown sugar 1 tablespoon garlic salt 1 teaspoon finely ground fresh black pepper 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper   Glaze:   1 cup peach preserves Juice of 1/2 lemon 4 cloves garlic, finely minced 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper 1/4 cup vegetable oil 6 tablespoons melted unsalted butter   Directions:   Mix your brine ingredients and put the pork tenderloins in a ziploc bag with the brine and let marinate for at least two hours and up to overnight.   Setup your grill for two-zone direct and indirect cooking.   Combine your seasoning blend ingredients and use to coat the pork tenderloins liberally.  After coating, let sit for 15 minutes.   Combine the glaze ingredients and put in a flat pan.     Place the tenderloins on the hot side of your grill and move constantly until you start to get a char on the outside.  During this process, roll the tenderloins periodically in the glaze.  Do this 3 or 4 times during the charring process.  Once you have charred the outside sufficiently, move the tenderloins to the indirect side of the grill and cook until you have an internal temperature of 145-150 degrees, basing occasionally with the glaze.  When you reach an internal temp of 145-150 degrees, remove from the grill and rest for about 10 minutes, slice, and serve!
    • By John Setzler
      Serious Barbecue - Adam Perry Lang
      Hot Wings (pages 274-275) and Blue Cheese Dressing (page 368)

Recipe NOT available on APL's website... Book Only!

Since it's football season and game day food is always a fun project, during October I have also chosen to try Adam Perry Lang's Hot Wings and Blue Cheese Dressing from the Serious Barbecue Cookbook.  

Post your discussion and results along with photos if possible in this thread!