Price Paid

JoshuaAaron

I currently have an Akorn that I've had for about a year. I'm ready to upgrade and decided I want to go with the Kamado Joe brand. I am about 90% sure I want the Big Joe based on everything I have read on this forum. My local store has it for $1,349. Is that around the price that everyone pays. I'll still need to by the diffuser and the rack extender. Has anyone seen any sales on the Big Joes?

You will absolutely love love love the Big Joe!!!

I haven't seen sales around my area, but they do run a "no sales tax" special several times a year. I was able to take advantage of that when I bought my Big Joe.

The sweet thing about the KJ's is that they come with almost everything you'll need. The only 2 things that I would advise you to buy at the time of original purchase:

1) Heat deflector (which also allows you to cook on a raised grate with direct heat when wanted).

2) A cover if it'll be exposed to the elements.

I have the grate extender, and it's very nice when you "need" it...but more often than not, I find the 24" grate more than enough for the amount of meat that I cook (and I have a large family).

• 2 months later...

I have an AKORN too, and I've also made the decision to go with the KJ Big Joe. I think the KJ brand is the best value, construction, design, etc. I would be afraid to go with the Classic as it would actually be a bit smaller than the AKORN. There's been a number of time when I wished I had just a little more room on the AKORN. The Big Joe would be a perfect answer for me. I love the idea of the divided fire box. I almost always have the lower rack wrapped on one side with foil for indirect. Memorial Day, I plan on pulling the trigger. Can't wait. COOKOUT AT MY HOUSE!

Price? There's a vender near me is selling the Big Joe for the same exact price you've seen. It's a lot of dough. But it'll last a life time, my son will inherit it... And it's awesome! Let me know if you find a better deal.

I have an AKORN too, and I've also made the decision to go with the KJ Big Joe. I think the KJ brand is the best value, construction, design, etc. I would be afraid to go with the Classic as it would actually be a bit smaller than the AKORN. There's been a number of time when I wished I had just a little more room on the AKORN. The Big Joe would be a perfect answer for me. I love the idea of the divided fire box. I almost always have the lower rack wrapped on one side with foil for indirect. Memorial Day, I plan on pulling the trigger. Can't wait. COOKOUT AT MY HOUSE!

Price? There's a vender near me is selling the Big Joe for the same exact price you've seen. It's a lot of dough. But it'll last a life time, my son will inherit it... And it's awesome! Let me know if you find a better deal.

Nice choice, I love the big joe and bet that you will too. It's a blast to cook on.