Sign in to follow this  
John Setzler

September 2013 - APL BBQ Sauce

Serious Barbecue - Adam Perry Lang

APL Barbecue Sauce

Page 362-363

One of our September 2013 recipes will be the APL BBQ Sauce as described on pages 362-363 of the Serious Barbecue book.   This sauce is described as the 'perfect base' that can be tweaked with the addition of various other ingredients to go along with whatever is being cooked.  

This recipe is available on Adam Perry Lang's website HERE if you would like to have a look at it...

Please post your discussion and results along with photos if possible in this thread!

I just made my 'grocery list' of items I need to make this sauce this weekend.  I was quite surprised to find that I only need 5 items from the ingredients list.  I guess my cabinet is fairly well stocked.  I only needed the onion, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, granny smith apple, and brown sugar.  I would normally have the brown sugar on hand but I'm currently out of it.  So only the 'fresh' ingredients are missing.  I'm actually going to substitute the apricot preserves with some peach-mango preserves that I already have on hand...

This recipe can be found on Adam Perry Lang's website... CLICK HERE to see the recipe!

This was a rather fun recipe to make!  I always start out on something like this by getting my ingredients prepared and measured...

post-1-0-77842100-1378610162.jpg

Heated up the canola oil and cooked the onions, green peppers, garlic and salt...

post-1-0-46818000-1378610165.jpg

Added the dry seasonings...

post-1-0-51187000-1378610167.jpg

Added the rest of the ingredients minus the apple and jalapeno pepper...

post-1-0-64077300-1378610170.jpg

Brought it to a boil...

post-1-0-40147400-1378610173.jpg

Let it simmer for 45 minutes or so to thicken up nicely, added the apple and jalapeno, and then got the immersion blender out and gave it a nice smooth texture...

post-1-0-40414500-1378610175.jpg

Put it in a couple canning jars...

post-1-0-79000000-1378610177.jpg

This sauce has a fantastic flavor and aroma.  In the Serious Barbecue Book, Adam Perry Lang describes this sauce as his 'base' sauce from which he derives other sauce flavors by adding whatever he thinks needs to be added to go along with the main course.  This sauce DOES have a nice balance between 'tang' and 'sweetness' and it would be quite easy to push the sauce in either direction by tweaking the ingredient amounts.  You could also change the flavor profile on this sauce quite easily by using a different fruit preserve.  In this batch I used some Peach-Mango preserves that I had in my cabinet instead of buying a new jar of apricot preserves.  

I'm pretty happy with this sauce so I'm going to keep it as my go-to sauce for a while and each time I make it I will change it up to see what the results are like.  If I'm going to use it with pork I'll make it a little sweeter and use different fruit combinations.  If I'm going to use it with beef, I'll keep it on the tangy side by reducing the fruit/molasses/brown sugar a little and increasing the spicier ingredients like the jalapeno pepper and the hot sauce.  

I hope some of you give this a try!

Additional note on this cook... After I put my sauce in the mason jars and let it cool completely, there was a bit of grease collected at the top.  This recipe calls for 1/2 cup of canola oil for cooking the veggies at the beginning.  It might be possible to get equal results with a little less oil.  1/4 to 1/3 cup might be enough to pull this off instead of the 1/2 cup in the recipe.  If you are going to use the sauce immediately, I wouldn't worry about changing anything at all...

This sound like a great sauce. As a suggestion, before you use the sauce, slow heat the entire contents and continually stir. I think that would "remix" the ingredients. I would think the volume of canola oil would be critical to the sauces success. Just thinking out loud here. Thoughts?

What is everyone using for the bourbon and hot sauce. I have plenty of bourbon to pick from, Bernheim, Big Bottom 111 proof, Temperance Trader chinato barrel aged, Black Maple Hill, BT single oak project, Weller 12/107 blend. I figure the bourbon is like cooking with wine, if I won't drink it I won't cook with it. I have a habanero sauce and another random jalapeño pepper sauce, any thoughts?

Going to make this today for the Sept APL tenderloin tomorrow.

What is everyone using for the bourbon and hot sauce. I have plenty of bourbon to pick from, Bernheim, Big Bottom 111 proof, Temperance Trader chinato barrel aged, Black Maple Hill, BT single oak project, Weller 12/107 blend. I figure the bourbon is like cooking with wine, if I won't drink it I won't cook with it. I have a habanero sauce and another random jalapeño pepper sauce, any thoughts?

Going to make this today for the Sept APL tenderloin tomorrow.

I used Maker's Mark for the bourbon.  I keep that stuff on hand pretty much exclusively for cooking.  It's a 'good enough' whiskey for drinking and cooking without breaking the bank.  I used a little Frank's Red Hot for the hot sauce because I put that 5h1T on everything :)

I made the APL BBQ sauce for my Kamado Kountry Style Pork Ribs and Pork Burnt Ends meal today.  I like this sauce a lot.  As indicated in the book,  it is a good sauce to take in other directions -  like adding honey and apple juice to some of it to make a basting sauce after I got my main glaze well established on the meat with the straight APL.

BTW, I used only 1/4 cup of oil - it was sufficient and did not have a granny smith apple handy so used the red apple I had and added a splash of squeezed lemon to contribute the tartness.   It tasted good using Buffalo Trace bourbon ..  and the side bourbon sip tasted pretty good too even at 8 am in the morning!  The final product came out to just over 6.5 cups of sauce.  I did not see any need to put it thru the blender. It is not a quick to make sauce but worth the effort. 

I recommend it.  This sauce will be made again in this cooking household.

PS:  The country ribs and the burnt ends were great - especially the burnt ends to which I added onion and green bell pepper in the pan.    Served with a Paula Deen red potato salad and from scratch pinto beans. 

A few photos to make you hungry and appreciate the sauce and glaze.....

The plate-out:

24-LetsEatDSCF5589_zps4469ed3d.jpg

The burnt ends (cooked with onion and bell pepper):

19-HaveaFinishedBurntEnd-YummmDSCF5578_z

The Kamado Kountry Style Ribs:

20-HaveAFinishedCountryRibDSCF5574_zps8a

The whole works:

23-TheWholeWorksDSCF5581_zps6f2095ed.jpg

I made this BBQ sauce tonight. I did a few substitutions as follows :

3 Tbsp ground ginger instead of chili powder

1/2 cup maple syrup instead of molasses

I also left out the ground cloves

This turned out to be a very tasty sauce. Mildly sweet with just a hint of heat. I cooked a small 1/2 rack of "Turbo" Baby back ribs using this as the final glaze. My "Turbo" ribs are getting better and this sauce was a perfect complement.

Not a really difficult sauce. It is done in 3 parts so have the ingredients for all 3 parts ready to go for an easier time bringing it together. Next time I will make a double batch and pressure can it so I can store on the shelf instead of in the fridge.

After using what I needed tonight here is what I had left.

post-2358-13792150518345_thumb.jpg

Here are the ribs pulled after 30 mins of glazing.

post-2358-13792150804689_thumb.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By John Setzler
      This is a recipe from Adam Perry Lang's "Serious Barbecue" book.  

Ingredients:

Brine:   1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes (rehydrated in 2 tablespoons of boiling water) 4 cups peach nectar 2 cups water 1/4 cup kosher salt 1/4 cup brown sugar 4 cloves of garlic, peeled, halved, and finely minced 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper   Seasoning Blend:   2 tablespoons chili powder 2 tablespoons dry mustard 1 tablespoon brown sugar 1 tablespoon garlic salt 1 teaspoon finely ground fresh black pepper 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper   Glaze:   1 cup peach preserves Juice of 1/2 lemon 4 cloves garlic, finely minced 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper 1/4 cup vegetable oil 6 tablespoons melted unsalted butter   Directions:   Mix your brine ingredients and put the pork tenderloins in a ziploc bag with the brine and let marinate for at least two hours and up to overnight.   Setup your grill for two-zone direct and indirect cooking.   Combine your seasoning blend ingredients and use to coat the pork tenderloins liberally.  After coating, let sit for 15 minutes.   Combine the glaze ingredients and put in a flat pan.     Place the tenderloins on the hot side of your grill and move constantly until you start to get a char on the outside.  During this process, roll the tenderloins periodically in the glaze.  Do this 3 or 4 times during the charring process.  Once you have charred the outside sufficiently, move the tenderloins to the indirect side of the grill and cook until you have an internal temperature of 145-150 degrees, basing occasionally with the glaze.  When you reach an internal temp of 145-150 degrees, remove from the grill and rest for about 10 minutes, slice, and serve!
    • By Smokehowze
      The Asian Market had some really nice sliced up boneless pork belly on sale and since I have wanted to cook pork belly for a while, about 4.5 lbs of bellies jumped right into the shopping cart.

The Teaser Photos:

A Plate Full of Pork Bellies Ready To Savor

Dinner Time:

Since we had some waffles left over from breakfast, my son decided to make his meal waffles and pork belly:

THE DETAILS & RECIPES

THE COOK

This is how I cooked these great pork bellies(total cook time about 6 to 6.5 hours including mid-cook rest):

Rinse and dry pork belly strips.  Cross score the skin on the strips.  Prepare and generously coat all sides with the overnight dry rub.  Rest in fridge at least overnight.   I cooked indirect in Big (Red) Joe) at 230 degrees or so until internal temperature in a representative slice reached 180 degrees.  In this case that took about 4.5 hours.  Added hickory wood chunks with the intent for our tastes of a heavier hickory smokiness.

Then I removed the pork belly to a baking dish and tightly covered it with plastic wrap and let sit for 45-60 minutes until internal temps had dropped to around 120-130 degrees.  This minor self-steaming step was intended to help tenderize as well as halt the cooking process in preparation for the saucing/glazing step.

While in the baking dish and just before returning to the grill, generously sauce the belly strips all over with the APL BBQ Sauce and Maple Syrup mixture and return to Kamado at about 230 degrees.  Let sauce glaze for about 45 minutes.  Monitor internal temp and it should be climbing back toward the 180-185 degree point.  The sauce should be glazing and developing a nice color and texture and still be a bit moist but not crisping or burning. 

At this point, baste the top and sides of the belly strip with the straight maple syrup.  Adjust vents to start the heat to climb towards 270-275 over the next 30 minutes.  After 10 minutes, to let the maple syrup on the top glaze a bit an set up, turn pork over and baste remaining sides with just the maple syrup.   Continue the cook around the 270-275 degree point until the internal temps is about 195-200 degrees. 

At this stage the pork belly strips should be meltingly tender and have a beautiful and firmed up glaze that still has some moistness.  Do  not over cook them at this point.

When eating, you may want to separate the skin from the belly strip, as it could be, depending on the skin and/or the cook particulars like a chewy candy piece or melt in your mouth.   If chewy, it makes a great piece of “pork candy” to work on.

Also, make sure you retain enough of the APL BBQ Sauce + the Maple Syrup as a table sauce for the pork belly.  I had asked my wife to taste the sauce mix when I was combining the APL and maple syrup and she said if I did not save some for the table for dipping I was in big trouble.  It does make a nice final optional touch on the pork on the plate.

Detailed photos here:
      http://s1363.photobucket.com/user/smokehowze/library/PORK%20BELLY%20COOK%2010-5-13

THE RECIPES

The Overnight Dry Rub Mix:

½ cup brown sugar
      4 tsp paprika
      2 tsp cumin
      2 tsp salt
      2 tsp black pepper
      2 TBsp garlic powder
      2 TBsp onion powder
      2 tsp instant coffee

First Layer of Glazing Sauce and Table Sauce (enough for 4.5 lbs pork belly strips + some table sauce)

Generous  ¼ cup  of Adam Perry Lang Basic BBQ Sauce recipe
       (available here: http://www.adamperrylang.com/recipes/apl-bbq-sauce )

Generous ½ cup maple syrup (or more to taste)

Second & Final Layer of Glazing Sauce

¼ cup maple syrup

Salt Water Soaked and Roasted in the Husk Corn-on-The Cob

For a side with this meal, I chose to serve roasted in the husk corn-on-the-cob.   Soak corn in husks (trimmed of tassels and any loose husk) in large baking dish in salted water for at least 30 minutes or so turning periodically to get all the husk and corn saturated with the salt water.

Put them on the grilling grate with the pork when the pork is first removed from the grill for its rest period.  Since the temp is low the corn will slowly steam and cook for the remainder of the pork cook (about 2.5 hours).  At the end, after the pork is finally removed open the vents and bump the temps from 275 up to about 325 and give the corn a last high temp blast for about 15 minutes.  This will give the husk a bit of char.  During the corn cook, whenever you open the Kamado to check or remove the pork,  give the corn a swim in the salt water and return to the grill.

Other

To round out the dish, given the sweeter flavor profile of the pork, I made some serious deviled eggs, substituting for the usual cayenne pepper the use of Sriracha sauce. 

And, if desired, as you see – a nice mixed salad finishes out the plate.

The all-around verdict for this cook was that the flavors, texture and visual impact of the pork bellies were outstanding.   I would judge my first pork belly cook a total success and that I achieved the result on the pork I was looking for.

I hope you might enjoy this recipe and cook as much as I have.

• By tmac3304
      First post on here and I thought I would share with you guys my APL Serious Barbecue cook. I decided to do the Glazed Pork
      Loin with Cilantro and Garlic which I must say was INCREDIBLE! By far my favorite pork loin I have ever had the pleasure of eating! On this cook, I also decided to do a few of his sides from the Serious Barbecue book as well and chose to do Grilled Corn on the Cob with cilantro pesto (which my wife destroyed!!) and also Grilled Asparagus with Sherry-Shallot Vinaigrette which was also incredible. Im not much of a corn eater but the corn was awesome. The pesto added such a complex and sharp flavor to the corn that we could not put it down! So, without further ado, here are a few pics of my cook. Hope you guys enjoy!
    • By John Setzler
      Serious Barbecue - Adam Perry Lang
      Hot Wings (pages 274-275) and Blue Cheese Dressing (page 368)

Recipe NOT available on APL's website... Book Only!

Since it's football season and game day food is always a fun project, during October I have also chosen to try Adam Perry Lang's Hot Wings and Blue Cheese Dressing from the Serious Barbecue Cookbook.  

Post your discussion and results along with photos if possible in this thread!