Artisan Bucket Bread

Remoh

That's pretty darn good Billc. There are a few tricks to baking on a Kamado. I didn't want to be too complicated on my original post.

I do a high temp open dome burn off before I bake pizzas or bread. It cleans up all the drip stuff/crap. That way I don't get a "transfer" of flavors.

You did a great job!!!!! now add your own twist to it.  Add some spices and/or cheese and call it "Billy Bread"

I'm honored you tried my recipe. Bon Appetite

Ahhhh thanks.. It was great... My daughter just came home from work and is raving about it. When you say open dome... Aka open lid? That is a good idea.

Yep, Open Lid , Open Dome. It just burns off all the drippings from the previous cooks. It's like a self cleaning oven feature. It's my opinion high temp burn offs with domes closed are not good for Akorns. They are fine for BGEs

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Razor. I just wanted everyone to know it's easy and fun. Bread has been baked with fire for 1000's of years. Kamado cookers are perfect.  My family and friends like my bread better than store bought stuff. You can use this base recipe and take it in any direction you want with spices, herbs, cheeses etc.  

So here's a question... My bread seems to come out a little dense.. What are the causes or resolves to get a nicely cooked inside?

Good Question Billc. Like I mentioned earlier I tried to keep it simple. Bread Flour has a higher protein level = denser bread. You can use all-purpose flour, just use 1/3 cup less water. It will be a lighter loaf. Also, after you shape your bread, let it rest (in greased covered bowl) 30-90 minutes before placing on your cooker, the yeast will do it's job and create nice large holes in the finished bread. Still working on my techniques. What I'm doing now is hitting 500* then load the bread and shut the vents down. Don't go below 450*. Peek through the top vent for brownness. I hope this helps

I'm in a cook off competition (300 entrants) in a couple weeks "EGGtoberfest" at Stone Mountain Georgia. This will be my feature recipe.