Wood-Fired Ovens

andyscalzo

After we talked about these last night, I did some online research and looked at three or four different models of these things and the one you have looks to be one of the most economical and functional models out there.  If you get a chance, I'd like to know what the L x W x H dimensions on that oven are and if you think it's something that can be left sitting out in the weather without any degradation issues...

I enjoyed the phone visit John. The inside oven dimensions are 30.5" L,  24"W & 26" H. The opening is 16" W & 9.5" H. I wouldn't want one any smaller, and wish it was a little larger, but it already a beast weight wise. All the exposed parts are either refracted cement, aluminum, granite or powder coated steel, so there is nothing to worry about. I don't cover it at all.  

post-3565-0-74847800-1378675358_thumb.jp

I have fired it up with different methods, but this has become my go-to: I split some small pieces of 12" Oak (not my first choice, but I have a free supply), then build a little "frame" like in the photo below. Inside the wood frame I toss in some lump charcoal, place a couple more pieces of Oak on top of the wood frame and light the lump with either fire starters or my MAPP torch.

post-3565-0-50738500-1378675964_thumb.jp

I've got 200 acres of hunting land, but 80% is Pine and 20% Oak, so I've been using Oak. I have been supplementing the coals after they burn down with chunks of Peach, Pecan, Alder, etc.

My photos load fine here John, I wish they would load like this over on the Kamado Joe Forum.

That's an impressive wood fire oven you have Andy. Some of my restaurant buddies have wood fire grills and they are lots of fun. We have plenty of pecan wood in the South. Peach has been tough to come by even in the Peach State. Everyone wants it and the supply is not there. I'll check around with some of my farm buddies and see if I can find a fallen pecan tree. Pecan trees blow down in storms very easy.   

• 3 months later...