Bones

Remoh

What to do with Bones. Sometimes I roast them and sometimes I make soup stock or both. You can buy veal bones in 30#-60# cases on the restaurant wholesale side. But most of the time, I just give the bones to my dogs. I know many people say you shouldn't give chicken bones or pork bones to dogs because they will choke on them........Well you can also choke on a hotdog. During my life I have owned deer dogs, coon dogs, duck dogs, hog dogs, lap dogs, house dogs & yard dogs.  My current family of rescues are hiking dogs. I give my dogs bones all the time and in my 56 years none of them has died from choking. Don't waste your bones, let your dog have some fun too. 

Have you seen the price of dog bones at the grocery store? They cost more per # than filet minion.  

Remoh,are you talking about uncooked or cooked bones?I gave our lab some rib bones,she got sick.She just layed around the house.We took her to the vet,& $175.00 later,she was ok.The vet said ,never give a dog cooked bones,but uncooked bones are ok.

That is exactly right because cooked bones become brittle and can easily splinter. I have a bull mastiff and the breeder fed a couple of the doges an all natural diet which included uncooked chicken wings bones and all.

Remoh,are you talking about uncooked or cooked bones?I gave our lab some rib bones,she got sick.She just layed around the house.We took her to the vet,& $175.00 later,she was ok.The vet said ,never give a dog cooked bones,but uncooked bones are ok.

Delaware, I'm sorry your pooch got sick. But to answer your question, yes, raw and cooked.  I know it goes against the grain but I have never had an issue. The "Dog Bones" they sell at the pet store are cooked/smoked, they are not raw or they would spoil (bone marrow). I know some dogs have sensitive digestive systems.

I just purchased some bones so I can have roasted bone marrow tomorrow. Was quite shocked to see the price of these things but the taste is so good that I don't care.

Osso Buco, yummy

Oh yeah! Funny thing is I'm the only one in my family that likes bone marrow. Might be a coincidence that I love cooking osso bucco when everyone's over! Nothing like a "Would you want me to "clean" your osso bucco so you don't have the marrow on your plate" and having all that goodness for you!