Please Remember THIS DAY

Delaware Smoker

While we are going through our daily lives today,I ask that Everyone Please Remember what happened twelve years ago today.No matter what this country is going through today,WE ARE STILL THE GREATEST NATION IN THE WORLD.May God Bless You and Your Family,and GOD BLESS AMERICA.

BTW.My cousin lost her son,in one of the towers.I didn't get a chance to meet him,but my heart is heavy everyday,knowing that so many lives were lost on 9/11.

I do what I can to forget what I saw that day.  Was way too close for comfort and had my family in a panic as there was no way to get in touch for hours.

I worked across the street at the World Financial Center and was luckily running a bit late that morning.  Listening to headphones, riding the subway, the train didn't make the stop at the WTC for some reason and I had to get off at the next stop south of there.  Unaware of what was happening, I climbed the stairs from the subway platform and saw some smoke.  Thinking, oh, ok there is a fire, that is why the train didn't stop.  Started walking to the office outside in the beautiful weather, instead of through the WTC and covered bridge to the WFC.  It took me what seemed like forever to realize what was happening, nothing really registered, it was all so surreal.

Made it to the WFC and was not permitted inside.  So joined the crowd gathered on the promenade along the river staring up at the towers as they burned.  Never occurred to me that they might fall.  Every so often everyone would scream as another poor soul jumped.  I couldn't take it and finally realized that I should try to head back to Penn Station and get home.  Was difficult to think straight. It is a pretty good walk, just under 3 miles and no other way to get there.  Along the walk, everyone was just staring south at the towers and/or listening/watching the news. 

Cell service was down as were the land lines in lower Manhattan as they all went through the WTC.  Could not get in touch with my family until I got to Penn and the hotel across the street where my brother worked.  They were all gathered at my house in horror thinking I was a goner when the towers fell.

As I said, try my best to not go there too often.

I remember every detail of that morning. Absolutely tragic event and words can't express how I felt about all these lost lives. At the time, I thought it might trigger a reflexion in America about its military operations overseas but, as we've seen with Afghanistan (that was justifiable) and Iraq (I still don't understand why America wanted to go there and open that can of worms), there wasn't a whole lot of thinking on "why do they hate us so much". As an outsider, I was shocked to see that people didn't really understand why some people were mad at the US for some previous actions.

12 years later, I still feel the same about all these victims of 9/11. Absolutely tragic event and I wish that the US would have rallied everyone around it instead of projecting their military power, funding wars that it can't afford to finance and lose and compromising their future in doing so. A good read on the subject is "The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers" by Paul Kennedy. 12 years ago, I think we all felt American, the US had all our sympathies. You might remember rallies from Montreal to Paris, Cairo and even Iraq. On the other hand, I have a really hard time with nationalism and how a nation perceives itself to be so much superior to the others. We're all humans and we just have to learn to live together. Military force alone won't solve any issues, it just builds resentment that will one day end up in revenge. Like it or not, we're all in this together and we better find a way to make it work.

I also want to point out I have the utmost respect for everybody in the armed forces. They're doing a great job and are trying hard to make things right. It's not their fault that their leaders couldn't grasp the long term implications of their actions. I'd much prefer if they were safe and sheltered from suicide bombers and IEDs. 

Not trying to start a debate, I just wanted to comment on the "greatest nation in the world" affirmation and to express how I felt about that tragic morning.

Amen to that. We all seem to remember that day vividly. I remember sitting in a sales meeting a little before 1pm PST at work. We were going through the motions but the topic stayed on the news of that day for most of the meeting. I remember the last manager walking into the room and saying the south  tower just fell. We all looked at each other, shell shocked. I do remember looking my boss, as well as the other manages in the eye and saying, "Everyone, remember this date, 9/11/01, like December 7, 1944,  it will live in infamy."

On a side note, every day is a good day to fly your flag, I fly mine all the time!

Just after 9/11 (as soon as I could find one for sale) I purchased a large standalone flag pole for the front yard and have proudly flown a 4' x 6' ever since.

It was a horrible day, I know I won't forget. Mrs philpom was in Chicago and was stranded, I had to drive and get her from Dallas.

On a side note, every day is a good day to fly your flag, I fly mine all the time!

Dallas to Chicago... Ouch, that's what, about 14-15 hours?