New Char-Griller Kamodo Kooker in CT

Hey Everyone!  Just got a great deal on a Char-Griller Kamodo Kooker at my local BJs.  It was marked at $251 and comes with the Char-Griller Heat Shield and Cover.  I got an extra 10% off since it was the floor model.  Total came to $241 after tax.  It had a broken center piece of the cast iron grate and no grate lifter.  It was also missing a couple screws that attach the legs to the bottom plastic tray under the Kooker. I called Char-Griller and they said to just email them a list of the missing and/or broken pieces and they would send me replacements free of charge.  No problem at all.  Incredible customer service.

I also grabbed a 34lb bag of Frontier Lump Charcoal.  Made in US at BJs for $20.

I'm very excited about the Kooker and want to do the necessary mods while Im waiting for my replacment grate to show up.  I've read and watched several videos but was wondering if there was a sticky for what are the most commonly used products. 

1. Should I get a chimney starter?  If so which one? I saw a weber for $15 on amazon with like 1000 5 star reviews.  I'm assuming that's the one to get.
  2. RTV - What should I get here?  Where are people purchasing this?  How much? 
  3. BGE gasket?  Is this necessary if you RTV?
  4. Other type of copper tape or something like that?  I saw some recommendations where people are using that to seal up the ash catcher better.
  5. Thermometer - Digital.  Maverick RT85 or something like that?  Is that the one to get?
  6. Anything else?

TIA. Can't wait to get this bad boy fired up. 

Welcome and congrats.

1) I use a Weber Chimney starter for my high temp cooks. I use starter cubes for low and slow cooks. I may change to cotton and alcohol when I use these cubes up

2,3,4) My Akorn was as tight as a drum so I didn't need to modify the gaskets or seals

5) The Maverick ET 732 is a great value. Two probes & wireless

6) You'll need a diffuser. You can order the "Smoking Stone" Char Griller option for the Akorn. Many of us use a weber replacement grate (~17.5" in diameter) with a pizza stone

What else am I missing guys?

Welcome and congrats.

1) I use a Weber Chimney starter for my high temp cooks. I use starter cubes for low and slow cooks. I may change to cotton and alcohol when I use these cubes up

2,3,4) My Akorn was as tight as a drum so I didn't need to modify the gaskets or seals

5) The Maverick ET 732 is a great value. Two probes & wireless

6) You'll need a diffuser. You can order the "Smoking Stone" Char Griller option for the Akorn. Many of us use a weber replacement grate (~17.5" in diameter) with a pizza stone

What else am I missing guys?

I believe mine came with the smoking stone. its a ceramic pizza like stone with keys on it that fit into the catches on the kooker. 

What are starter cubes?

Where do people get good wood for smokes?

I will season the grate and check for leaks then.

TIA

Luca, welcome!  See my signature for a leg up on kamado cooking.  You got an excellent deal on your Akorn.  Nice work.  You're going to love it!  I'd say most chimney starters are no better or worse than any other.  Stuff the bottom with news paper, load the top with lump charcoal, and then light the paper.  That's about it.  No need to go overboard on a $20 starter when a $13 starter will do the same job.  That's my 2 cents, anyway.  For starter cubes, just search for Weber starter cubes.  Wood for smokes?  Well, we typically just use wood chunks or wood chips in our kamado for low-and-slow smokes.  Never logs or split wood.

Luca, welcome!  See my signature for a leg up on kamado cooking.  You got an excellent deal on your Akorn.  Nice work.  You're going to love it!  I'd say most chimney starters are no better or worse than any other.  Stuff the bottom with news paper, load the top with lump charcoal, and then light the paper.  That's about it.  No need to go overboard on a $20 starter when a $13 starter will do the same job.  That's my 2 cents, anyway.  For starter cubes, just search for Weber starter cubes.  Wood for smokes?  Well, we typically just use wood chunks or wood chips in our kamado for low-and-slow smokes.  Never logs or split wood.

What's the best place to source wood chunks?  Do people order/purchase them from stores?

Your signature link was very useful.  I am much more informed.  I'm getting my amazon order ready.  Any recommendations on gloves?  I was looking at thermometers last night and it looks like that Remington wirless is the better value.  I also saw an Oregon Scientific that had descent reviews as well.  $60 for the maverick. $40 for the Remington, $30 for the Oregon Scientific. 

Ill be smoking Sunday hopefully.  Just sent CharGriller an email with a list of items I was missing.  Biggest problem is that my center grate has broken rods so I don't want to season that and start with it.  Gonna wait till the new grate arrives and go from there.

Thanks again!

Luca, I get my chunks at the big box Home Store and my Walmart just started carrying 4 varieties. Here is some smoke wood info;http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/woods.html

There is a Glove thread currently, a lot of good ideas there. I use BBQ rubber gloves and welder gloves.

Good choice on the Remington.

I could suggest a pizza stone also since you already have a smoking stone diffuser if you plan on doing any pizzas or bread baking. I do pizza and baking on the elevated grate. A 13" stone will fit the top grate perfectly otherwise a 14 or 15" stone will lay on top of the grate.

Utensils if needed i.e, knives, tongs, skewers, wire brush for cleaning, spray oil, outdoor cover if needed, big cutting board, BBQ rubs/spices. HD foil, maybe a meat injector, a big floppy chef's hat and some parchment paper. Maybe a rib rack, vertical chicken stand (aka beer can chicken gadget)

Don't get too ambitious with your first low and slow until you feel comfortable controlling your temps. Chickens maybe a good start.

What's the best place to source wood chunks?  Do people order/purchase them from stores?

Your signature link was very useful.  I am much more informed.  I'm getting my amazon order ready.  Any recommendations on gloves?  I was looking at thermometers last night and it looks like that Remington wirless is the better value.  I also saw an Oregon Scientific that had descent reviews as well.  $60 for the maverick. $40 for the Remington, $30 for the Oregon Scientific. 

Ill be smoking Sunday hopefully.  Just sent CharGriller an email with a list of items I was missing.  Biggest problem is that my center grate has broken rods so I don't want to season that and start with it.  Gonna wait till the new grate arrives and go from there.

Thanks again!

Looks like Remoh has got all your questions covered.  I am glad my guide was useful to you.  That's exactly why I wrote it.  Gloves are a tricky item, as I have found.  If you're a big guy, maybe the Weber L/X-L Premium gloves might work for you.  They were too big for me, but they were *very* nice gloves.  Do check into the various gloves threads out there for more ideas.  The Remington thermometer will be just fine.

Good luck!!