How to Clean and Maintain your Ceramic Kamado

John Setzler

Very helpful video, John.  Any advice regarding cleaning/degreasing the top vent?

You don't any to remove all the grease since some grease will prevent the top vent from rusting. I wipe down my top vent and dome with blue shop towel once every couple of weeks to prevent excess grease residue and shop vac it to get any lint from the shop towel off. During the winter I also hit that ceramic Chimney with a shop towel to prevent excess build up in the top vent area. Grease tends to freeze in the chimney during cold winter days. Not an issue if you live in a wammer climate.

John why isn't the inside of your KJ black from use?

I'm guessing John may have taken his Big Joe past 800 F a few times. Every time I blast the Joe at 900 F plus is clears out the grease off the dome pretty quick. Your dome will never be bright orange again but it will turn a nice shade of grey.

This may be a very stupid question, but why do I have to do it? I totally understand checking the bolts and screws to make sure they are tight, but do I really need to do this cleaning? Especially twice a year? Why?

What's the advantage, aside from having your kamado clean and shiny? 

This may be a very stupid question, but why do I have to do it? I totally understand checking the bolts and screws to make sure they are tight, but do I really need to do this cleaning? Especially twice a year? Why?

What's the advantage, aside from having your kamado clean and shiny? 

You don't have to do this if you don't want to.  What will happen over time is a buildup of crud between the base and the firebox.  I have seen photos of ceramic kamados where the firebox was stuck inside the base from all this buildup.  I guess it depends on how you use your stuff.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By KamadoJim
      Hi,

What are the most popular size of Kamado? Is there any data on whether 18" / 24" / Other are best sellers?

Thanks
    • By KamadoJones86
      Hey guys, I just got done with my first big low and slow cook yesterday. Pork butt cooked perfectly for 10+ hours only to find (literally) hundreds of wire brush bristles sitting in my drip pan when I went to clean everything out. Obviously, this can be a health concern and I even found 2 stuck to the bottom of the grate when I started double checking so the whole batch had to go straight into the trash...completely gut wrenching (but hopefully not literally, we did eat 2 sandwiches before we saw this).

What are you guys using to clean your grates? These bristle brushes have me freaked out now but there is a lot of skepticism around the effectiveness of some of the alternatives. At this point, I just need to know what works well on the KJ so everyone stays safe and no more hard work has to go in the garbage.

Thanks in advance!
    • By COKAMADO
      All,

I am new to the site and messed up the location of my post by initially putting it in the introductions section. Below is the link to that post.

I am looking for ideas on small cracks forming in the firebox of my New Old Kinuura Yaki #5 Kamado.

Photo of kamado for fun

• By Casey
      I have an opportunity to buy a Monolith classic (by size, pretty sure it isn't Le Chef) and looking for opinions on both the grill itself and whether it's a good price. About 1 year old, in good condition, with stones/grates, a CyberQ Cloud controller, and a table built by the owner. Unsure how well the control fan works (I couldn't get it to start with the CyberQ just fiddling around without lighting coals, and the owner said they never really figured it out). I've worked the seller down from $1575 to $1100 for everything, no tax, I pick it up myself. 

1. What do you think about this brand and model? An established German company but only in the US market a few years without much penetration yet. Made in China, maybe at the KJ factory? 
      2. Is this a fair price, or should I try to work lower? I had planned to go with either the Ceramic Akorn or Grilla Kong at lower prices (without table), but is this worth spending a little extra?

Thanks.
      caseymcmillan@hotmail.com

• By Jeirinlo
      Kamado Joe Classic I for sale, 4 years old, used condition, has crack on firebox (as probably all used Kamados) but that doesn’t affect the cooking. NEVER used lighter fluid always used high quality chips / charcoal

UPDATES:
      Wheels replaced last week
      Gasket replaced last week
      Back springs replaced 2 weeks ago (now the lid won’t fall by accident!)

INCLUDES:
      Cast iron cart
      Finished Folding HDPE Side Shelves
      Cover
      3 deflector plates
      2 half-moon stainless steel grate
      1 grate/grill lifter
      1 ash poker
      1 accessory rack
      1 flexible cooking rack
      1 pizza stone
      1 soapstone
      1 grilling glove

Asking for $550 OBO.
      Pick up at North Miami Beach (33162), can deliver to Miami-Dade/Broward for a fee