I finally found time to upload this video I did back in August.

Venison Roast with a fresh herb paste rub.

http://youtu.be/4wwH3BKztzY

Ingredients:

deer roast

mustard

olive oil

worchestershire

fresh thyme

fresh rosemary

fresh garlic

onion

turbinado sugar

salt

pepper

Hi Larry,

I've got a couple of neck roasts I was thinking of doing on my Akorn.

I'm wondering why you cooked it to 190F as opposed to a much lower temp? Say 125-135, which I was I usually prepare grilled cuts of venison at. 

Even though your roast looks tender, I can't help but wonder how much better it would have been if it would have been cooked to a lower temp. Thoughts?

Roasts are tough cuts of meat that need to be cooked low and slow just like any other tough cut of meat like pork shoulder or beef brisket until internal temp is above around 190. This means that cooking them at lower temps until the tough collagen in the meat renders into liquid gelatin which occurs between 170 and 180 degrees. Cooking it lower than that would just leave you with a tough chewy cut of meat.

Tender cuts of meat like steaks and tenderloins can be cooked hot and fast until done to your desired doneness: say 130 for Medium rare. I did another video posted elsewhere here and on my YouTube channel of a tender venison back strap cooked this hot and fast way.

Was that from the neck or the hind leg of the deer? I have a leg that I got a few nights ago and cut into two nice size roasts. Orginally, I was planning on making jerky out of the meat but after seeing that video again, I was thinking of cooking one on the Akorn. My wife does not like the taste of wild game so I was hoping this method of prep would take out that wild taste and be more palatable for her. How was the flavor?

I got it from my neighbor, so I'm not sure which part came from.

I used the brine to extract much of the gamey flavor that people experience, so even my wife tolerated it. I was reading that much of that wild flavor comes from being improperly bled or bled later then right away. My neighbor that gave me the roast said that as well in addition to saying that the wild flavor varies by region depending on what the deer eat primarily. Around he in northern Illinois, it's more gamey due to the pine needles they eat.

It was tender and good. Between my brine and my herb marinade, there was very little gamey taste.

Well, I may have to do this then. The deer I got was killed in the field next to my MIL house and was immediately gutted and bled. My BIL called me right after he shot it and I got in the car and scooted right over to help cut it up. He already had it skinned by the time I got there and I chilled the meat on ice and began deboning as soon as the carcass was broke down. This deer had a pretty good amount of fat on it and likely had a good diet of grass, hay, and corn as that is what surrounds the area. I hope it tastes good, it's been a while since I've had some good venison.

Thanks for the quick reply Larry. 

Here's my revised gameplan:

Dry-rub neck roast 24 hrs before it hits the smoker

Smoke using hickory chunk until meat hits 160F internal temp.

Once it hits 160F remove, foil, and add apple cider vinegar to foil.

Continue cooking until it hits 185-190F or fork/probe tender. 

I do have a question though:

I'll be preparing this for an ice fishing weekend at the end of the month. Since I plan on cooking htis a day or two before we actually eat it i was thinking I might slice it nice and thin and then throw it in some zip-lock baggies (along with a few glugs of apple cider vinegar) and freeze until ready to eat. I wanted to slice thin and re-heat for hot sandwiches and/or possibly cold-cuts with some hot mustard or horsey sauce. 

Any thoughts on how to care for it after it's cooked and until we eat it? 

I've never reheated venison. I just don't know. For stuff like pork shoulder, I've used Apple cider to refresh left overs. Not sure how well it well help with venison though. You could try retaining the juices from the foil and add it to your plastic bag. Or, bring some mustard along. :-)

I wish I had the luxury of eating it the same day but it really wont be an option. I'll report in on how reheating the venison goes. 

One of my favorite things to do with tougher cuts of venison is to chunk it up and cook it like stew meat with worcestershire sause, black pepper, salt, garlic, butter, mushrooms, and onions until tender then plate it on a stoneware plate, cover in mozzazarella, and place in the broiler for a few minutes. Mmmm, that's some good eatin!