Going to try some different charcoal----Le Gourmet Restaurant mixed hardwood--

So from day one in Kamado Cooking I have being using Basques Sugar maple charcoal (natures own) and love the stuff, burns well nice flavour and Im used to the way it burns, so I stored 6 bags of it for winter as Costco stopped stocking it at the end of summer. now I only have 3 bags left and thats not going to last all winter if I use the Komodo 3 to 4 times a week.

So i did some research and found a Fella that sells Charcoal on the side locally , I'm going to try this stuff the chunks are nice a big and it looks good but have not done a cook with it ,

26.5 lbs for $20.00 , thats good for these parts of the woods

So has anyone used this brand before?..... and what do you think?

post-2199-0-91695500-1380573285.jpg

The Charcoal that i'm used too

post-2199-0-24068800-1380573390_thumb.jp

The new Stuff

post-2199-0-97437200-1380573474_thumb.jp

As you can see nice big Chunks

The Spiel :

The wood we use in our hardwood lump charcoal blend is primarily Quebracho Blanco, mixed with other hard woods like Itin, and Guayacan. See description of Quebracho Blanco (White Axwood).

You will find that our charcoal is denser than what is produced in North America, so our bags are smaller. The burn is hot and lasts an average 40% longer than the competition.  That means that you refuel less often and when you need the heat, the BTU’s are there to do the job!  As well, our lump blend imparts a fine, subtle flavor to all meats and vegetables cooked using this Great Charcoal product for fuel. As well, ash production is low.

We select sizes between 20 and 80 mm. for our lump. There are minimal amounts of dust or small chips in our bags.

I got to use this new charcoal today on a 12 hour pork butt and it performed great , control of the temps were very easy and burned very slowly so there was a fair bit of lump left in the pit ,I going to use the two bags I brought and more a likely go back for more !

Anyone in the Halifax area want to got on this charcoal just PM me and I will hook ya up :)

• 1 month later...

Looks like the Cowboy Lump I've been getting in terms of size. I love it when I open a new bag of lump and find a bunch of nice sized chunks in the bag instead of crushed up little pebbles and dust. I've only ever used Cowboy, RO, and BGE as that is all I can get where I am located but I don't really have many complaints about any of it, other than I seem to get a few rocks in the RO. A few times I've found rock chunks the size of a small fist in my bag, wasn't too happy about that but they have been better over the last few months.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the recommendation Halifax Aussie. I've been using Le Gourmet for my last few cooks and I'm very happy so far. I got mine from Cabby in Halifax as well. The chunks are large (one or two pieces were arguably too big!). It's also slightly cheaper per lb than Nature's Own at Costco (my favourite brand). And unlike Costco, Cabby supplies his charcoal year-round. Looks like I may have a new favourite.

IMG_20131230_151719%255B1%255D.jpg

As you can see, I'm at the bottom of the bag and it still contains plenty of chunky charcoal.

IMG_20131230_151739%255B1%255D.jpg

The size of the pieces and even the packaging look a lot like the Fogo Lump I am currently trying (also a Central American hardwood product).  I'm really liking mine.  The smoke smell is very different from the standard hickory, mesquite, and oak typically available around here...it's not exactly sweet smelling, but very pleasant and (if this is really possible) it doesn't smell "burned".  It burns hot and consistent, lasts a good while and doesn't create a ton of ash though it does pop a decent amount when first lit.

If yours is similar to that you have quite a winner at that price!

Thanks for all the great feedback! We have received a new shipment and should be ordering more soon.  Possibly in smaller bags.With this "spring" weather, we could be "smoking" for a longer season. Please contact us if anyone needs more.