Too Much Smoke at Start Up

Thanks to all for the replies. I always let the heavier white smoke clear and let it go light blue to almost invisible before the food goes on.

What I've learned over the last few cooks is to let the initial start up fire burn a bit longer before closing the dome and starting to work the temp. Although I still get some heavier white smoke for a bit......it's better now.

erro4444 has it as it's usually caused by absorbed moisture in the charcoal and you generally see it more in ceramics because you use charcoal left over from previous burns which being hydroscopic absorbs moisture from the surrounding air which causes steam until the grill up to temp. Always more noticeable in the cooler months when the humidity is high and sometimes you notice the condensation on the vent until it heats up. The grill can't get above 100c until this residual moisture is burnt off and it's a good indication that the grill is not up to cooking temp and may cause the smoke/water mix to turn to creasoate and impart a burnt acrid taste to the first batch of food smoked

Ken.

• 8 years later...
9 hours ago, Jsog said:

Bad idea to out a smoker under a covered patio?

I started out with a similar question, ended up leaving the grill out of the patio, not so much concern of the smoke stain but more the increased smoke thickness inside the patio.  I lose enough aroma in the first meal from just cooking, having more smoke in the cooking area would cut my senses of smell and taste even more.

Just my 2c on the issue.

On 12/2/2021 at 9:40 AM, Jsog said:

Question for the group, I am getting a smoker and going to put under covers patio with a vent. Will it stain the area with smoke? Bad idea to out a smoker under a covered patio?

I cook under a covered enclosure if the weather is inclement and never have any problems with smoke stain, but I normally run the cieling fan to dissipate smoke.

On 12/2/2021 at 7:40 AM, Jsog said:

Question for the group, I am getting a smoker and going to put under covers patio with a vent. Will it stain the area with smoke? Bad idea to out a smoker under a covered patio?

It may not be too noticeable at first (or ever unless disturbed in some way), but smoke residue clings to EVERYTHING!!  There is no way around it other than disperse as much as possible etc. 

I cook under the edge of my patio roof and have had no damage or noticeable  staining after years and years of cooking. However, I get a lot of air flow across that area at the corner of my deck,  and the paint on the under side of my patio roof is a dark coco brown. I think it depends on what the configuration of your patio is, how much air flow you get, and also the color of your ceiling. If you cooking up against the wall of your house in a location protected from the wind and air flow, I think there is a higher probability that you will get at least  some discoloration on a light ceiling. Take a look at this pic of a local food truck that uses a BGE. The location where the Egg is placed on a patio corner that is open on all but one side clearly has a lot of air flow(of course this would change depending on where the food truck is parked), but the food truck patio ceiling is not overly far above that XL Egg. You can see some discoloration from smoke  on the white ceiling. My deck ceiling is a good 11 1/2 feet above my decks floor.   Another factor is that  this guy cooks pretty much every day,  or a least several days every week with several hours duration on each cook,  and has for  quite a while.  (He is open at both lunch and dinner)  Hope this helps make a decision about where to place your kamado.

My Deck cooking spot: 

IMG_1450.thumb.jpeg.ead14231b49cc54febdf2fa8c5da5450.jpeg

Local food truck using an Xl BGE.

IMG_1863.jpeg