Started off with a trimmed USDA Choice TT and here is what I use for a rub.

IMG_4878_zps8d08e79e.jpg

After a little trimming I rubbed it down with some Worcestershire Sauce. Then Fresh ground Garlic & Sea Salt, 5 pepper mix, steak seasoning & fresh minced Rosemary. I wrapped this up in stretch wrap and let it marinate for 6 hours.

IMG_4887_zps054f2206.jpg

Approximately 1 ½ hours before my guests arrived I put it on to the indirect side of the kamado at 225 with some Mesquite chunks.

IMG_4898_zpsa77f7782.jpg 

Once it reached 113 I removed and wrapped it and opened up the vents. Once the kamado reached 500 I seared it on both sides for 3 minutes.

IMG_4910_zpsbadc2852.jpg

I let it rest for 15 minutes and sliced it.

IMG_4916_zpsb5605711.jpg

IMG_4924_zpsb7cabb05.jpg

IMG_4928_zps7e898b14.jpg 

We ate half that day and saved the other half for leftovers.

IMG_4919_zpsfdb6358a.jpg

Yum Yum Yum!

That looks outstanding!  Nice presentation too. 

I also like the way you create the direct and indirect sides.  Is that a pizza stone cut in half?  Wonder if it would work on a BKK.  My plate setter sits pretty low and is only about 14" in diameter.

That looks outstanding!  Nice presentation too. 

I also like the way you create the direct and indirect sides.  Is that a pizza stone cut in half?  Wonder if it would work on a BKK.  My plate setter sits pretty low and is only about 14" in diameter.

Thanks. No that’s the standard heat deflector for the Primo Oval XL. See this link for a better look.

http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/4938-my-new-grillfriend-arrived-yesterday/

Made this tonight. Different rub, but same method/timing. I've had prime rib that was better but never a better steak. A local grocery store has USDA Choice Tri-tip on sale for less than $3.50/lb this week. Going to load up and vacuum pack them. I buy the largest ones I can and then cut them in half before sealing/freezing them. Half a large tri-tip is just right for our little family with no leftovers. Before getting the Vision we always made french dip subs in the crock-pot with tri-tip... probably never going to use one for that again now.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Tarnation
      My sister gifted our mom and me a steak dinner for our birthdays this month.  Meaning she bought the steaks and I cooked them.  I used a mix of seasoning salts, Lawry's, garlic salt, and something else my dad had in the cabinet to season them.  I wish I could have really let the seasoning salts do their job for awhile, but basically just let them come up to room temperature since they were purchased today and we were eating them tonight.  I low and slowed them on my Akorn for about an hour @250ish using my BBQube and Bluetooth temp monitor to get them to about 115-120 internal.  I then transferred them to some cast iron skillets with melted butter in them I had heated to 450-500 on my dad's gas burner and seared them for 1 minute per side.  Overall fantastic results. I wanted a good medium/medium-rare for mine and I think I got it dead on.  Money shots provided.

• By sylvester hut
      Ingredients
      600 g / 1.2 lb boneless ribeye
      2 tbsp vegetable oil , divided
      1 large onion sliced
      300 g / 10 oz mushrooms , sliced
      40 g / 3 tbsp butter
      2 tbsp flour
      2 cups / 500 ml beef broth low sodium
      1 tbsp Dijon mustard
      150 ml / 2/3 cup sour cream
      Salt and pepper to taste
      Steps
       Step 1
      Use  rolling pin  to flatten the steaks. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Slice into strips.
       Step 2
      Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large skillet over high heat. Spread the strips in the pan with tongs . Sear for 30 seconds on each side.  Quickly remove back onto the plate. Sear the beef in batches if needed.
       Step 3
      Turn heat down to medium high. Add butter, melt. Then add onions, cook for 1 minute, then add mushrooms. Cook mushrooms until golden. Scrape bottom of fry pan to get all the golden bits off. Add flour, cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
       Step 4
      Add half the broth while stirring Add the rest of the broth. Stir, then add sour cream and mustard. Stir until combined.
       Step 5
      Simmer for 3-5 minutes, add more salt and pepper to taste.
       Step 6
      Add beef back in. Simmer for 1 minute, then remove from stove immediately.
       Step 7
      Serve over egg noodles.
      Original recipe with pics and nutrition info you can find here: beefstroganoff Enjoy delicious and tasty beef!
    • By desertshore
      Hi everybody,
      I am a kamado quasi-neophyte (I've got a Monolith junior since last August), and after some experience with shorter cooks (chicken; ribs) I wanted to enroll into Brisket Academy. Unfortunately, it seems that I have failed the entry exam, as I couldn't explain to my butcher what I needed.
      In the end, I was talked into buying something that definitvely does not look like brisket to me, and I don't know how to cook. It seems something I would braise or boil, but according to the butcher I can cut it into strips and make 'asado'. It is boneless (but has some hard cartilage).

Apart for the idea of slicing strips and grilling them (that's not what I wanted), what could I do with this chunk of meat? How would you call it in English?

Thank you a lot!

• By Smokingdadbbq
      A little behind the scenes to my Instagram post. Sunday I smoked two small chuck roasts for about 4 hours at 250 

Then I put them in foil in beef broth and aromatics and let them braise for another four hours. 

After two hours FTC these were ready to serve. I fried up the onions and served on fresh buns with American cheddar, horseradish mayo and Au jus 

will deffinetly be doing this again 

• By DerHusker
      It’s been a while since I last cooked anything let alone posted a cook. Sorry for that but life is just very busy and hectic for us these days.  It’s also been a while since I’ve had Tri Tip and it recently went on sale, so I picked up this 3.79 lb. behemoth.

I took it out of the package and trimmed it up a little.

I them minced some fresh Rosemary from my garden.

I rubbed it down with some Worcestershire sauce, then some fresh ground salt, some fresh ground black pepper, some steak seasoning and finally the minced Rosemary.

I wrapped this up in plastic wrap and let it rest in the fridge for 6 hours. I then made up some Tzatziki with I also let rest in the fridge for 6 hours.

Around 4:00 I started prepping the Redhead for the cook. I started by spreading a layer of red oak chunks in the bottom of the Vortex ring.

Around 5:00 I lit up a chimney of lump and poured it over the oak chunks. I place the Tri Tip off to the side and let it slowly come up to an I.T. of 113 degrees.

I then took it off and loosely tented it with foil. I then opened up the vents and let the Vortex go nuclear!  (Here a pic without the flash so you can see it)

I then placed the Tri Tip on the CI grate for 3 minutes per side.

I then brought this in and let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing.

While that was happening I sliced up some veggies.

I then sliced the Tri Tip in half along the seam where the grain chances direction.

I then thinly sliced each half across the grain.

OH YUM!

I had purchased some nice Pita bread so I made a Tri Tip Pita sandwich.

Delicious!