Future: Man Cave Meals

First off I have to say congrats, another example of how hard work pays off, sometimes in unexpected ways.

I may be wrong about this, but I see KJ becoming the "blue collar working man's" cooker. Between MCM and these forums, there's a real back-yard feel to the KJ "family". I think KJ is wise to choose a man's man like John to be the face of their brand, and not follow the others into competition and "high-end" cooking.

As I've said before, MCM was what brought me to this site and to Kamado Joe. This is one fan who will follow MCM as it becomes Joe Cave Meals!

There are other people that do you tube videos, there are others that started forums that really went nowhere. You did everything in a way that made the forum successful and also continue to enjoy success in other ways because of your talents and ability. You should be proud of what you have accomplished and ignore the people that can't recognize this for what it is. You are with a company that takes care of it's own and wants their people to be as successful as possible. Congratulations and enjoy, you deserve it.

It sounds promising for you, and I know you have to do what you have to do in the way of Mancave Meals. I'm just a bit perplexed as the KJ's reasoning for shutting down the Mancave videos. The success if MCM was, for the largest part, due to its association with the Chargriller Akorn Grill, a mass produced entry level Kamado that, more than likely, sold more than 10,000 units a year, worldwide. KJ sells several hundred grills per year, but an educated guess says they might do 10% the volume of Chargriller, so it stands to reason you might get 10% the viewing audience of Mancave Meals. I would think that the smart money would be to let those Akorn Videos continue, and keep attracting a percentage of those several thousand Akorn buyers in the course of a year, and know that KJ will receive a substantial amount of business from these owners down the road, when they decide to upgrade their Kamado, as witnessed time and again here on this forum.

Ross I agree 100%. I have always said that the CGK is cheap enough that people who never would spend the money for a ceramic Kamado  will buy the CGK. Other wise they go the Weber Kettle route or the stainless gasser.

Once they use a Kamado they will as CC says become" addicted" to Kamado cooking and in many cases a ceramic is in their future. My neighbor comes over all the time to look. He can not believe I use the 19 inch CGK instead of my 52 inch stainless gasser. He took pictures of the ribs in the racks when I had them out mopping them and sent then to his friends. He could not believe that I had 3 racks of St Louis style ribs "in that tiny space"

I certainly would re-do all of the cooking to feature the KJ.

I'm a bit saddened for you John.  Not by your actions but by some of the comments that some people left on the video.  I just hope you dont get down because of them.  Stay the course and keep doing what you're doing as you've shown to be successful at it.  I wish you continued success and longevity on your new endeavour.

I was prepared for that.  I did lose a bet with my girlfriend on how long it would take the term 'sellout' to come up in a comment :)

As my dear old grandmother always said.. " F them" (actually gramma didn't drop f bombs)

It sounds promising for you, and I know you have to do what you have to do in the way of Mancave Meals. I'm just a bit perplexed as the KJ's reasoning for shutting down the Mancave videos. The success if MCM was, for the largest part, due to its association with the Chargriller Akorn Grill, a mass produced entry level Kamado that, more than likely, sold more than 10,000 units a year, worldwide. KJ sells several hundred grills per year, but an educated guess says they might do 10% the volume of Chargriller, so it stands to reason you might get 10% the viewing audience of Mancave Meals. I would think that the smart money would be to let those Akorn Videos continue, and keep attracting a percentage of those several thousand Akorn buyers in the course of a year, and know that KJ will receive a substantial amount of business from these owners down the road, when they decide to upgrade their Kamado, as witnessed time and again here on this forum.

Ross, I have no clue what you are basing your figures off, but believe me they are not even realistic. There are Kamado Joe dealers who sell more than the figure you are using alone. The shutting down of Man Cave Meals makes sense from a business perspective. John has become the face of Man Cave Meals, and has built that brand. Now he will become the face of Kamado Joe and will build that brand. It may perplex you, but you are looking at it from a non-business perspective. I'm sure you will see John cooking on different grills and kamados down the road, pointing out the different advantages and disadvantages of each. I will guarantee you this; John's style and cooking techniques will not change. The videos will look the same, except his featured cooks will be on Kamado Joes. You can still apply the recipes and techniques to your BGE's, Primos, Visions, etc.

Edited by andyscalzo

John, congrats and it sounds like a wonderful opportunity!  I haven't been posting a ton lately but always pay attention to the cook posts from all the great posters on this site.  It's great to see the different ideas and approaches to kamado style cooking.  I have to admit I've grown wary of all of the constant manufacturer 'debates' on this site so regardless of if you are working for KJ, BGE, or anyone else the only thing that matters is its a Kamado and it's interesting to me!  Good luck!