Future: Man Cave Meals

I'm a bit saddened for you John.  Not by your actions but by some of the comments that some people left on the video.  I just hope you dont get down because of them.  Stay the course and keep doing what you're doing as you've shown to be successful at it.  I wish you continued success and longevity on your new endeavour. 

I was prepared for that.  I did lose a bet with my girlfriend on how long it would take the term 'sellout' to come up in a comment :)

Sell Out???:---no way--your move seems to be a perfect fit and will benefit all involved. By my definition if you deliberately sold some inferior product just to profit--then you would be a sell out and KJ is top quality and at the moment a great value also. I have no doubt that I has to hurt to close down something you have built in order to move on.

Beyond all of that--you made these videos and people have derived great benefit from them and at no cost to themselves. You were giving them great advise in a video format. I have no doubt that will continue on the KJ site and the end result may even be better--if you have better equipment. And as we all know or soon learn on Kamado Guru the methods and results on one Kamado will work on another as long as one is able to duplicate the set up used.

I would agree my figures were entirely random and way off, mia culpa.

I would stick to my contention that new Chargriller Akorn owners going on line to search for instructional videos for their cookers would out number the numbers of new KJ users by a ton. I assume Kamado Joe at least helped fund the Greatful Gliller series of videos, which goes by the YouTube Channel name, "Joe Kamado". They managed to attract a whopping 305 subscribers, and I believe the channel has been around much longer than MCM. ManCave Meals has nearly 14,000 subscribers, and I'm guessing a huge percent of them came from the Chargriller camp.

For you people to throw that entire block of subscribers under the bus is not only disrespectful to the Chargiller online community, but just doesn't make good business sense.

I would agree my figures were entirely random and way off, mia culpa.

I would stick to my contention that new Chargriller Akorn owners going on line to search for instructional videos for their cookers would out number the numbers of new KJ users by a ton. I assume Kamado Joe at least helped fund the Greatful Gliller series of videos, which goes by the YouTube Channel name, "Joe Kamado". They managed to attract a whopping 305 subscribers, and I believe the channel has been around much longer than MCM. ManCave Meals has nearly 14,000 subscribers, and I'm guessing a huge percent of them came from the Chargriller camp.

For you people to throw that entire block of subscribers under the bus is not only disrespectful to the Chargiller online community, but just doesn't make good business sense.

Once again you are "way off" Ross. Kamado Joe has NOTHING to do with any Joe Kamado channel on YouTube. Kamado Joe did produce those videos, but not for any YouTube channel. Those videos featuring Michael Shannon (aka The Grateful Griller) are on Kamado Joe's web-site as a tutorial for Kamado Joe owners, and have been viewed thousands and thousands of times. They will soon be replaced with John doing the tutorials. Nobody has been thrown under a bus. The whole thing does make good business sense if you understand business and marketing.

Edited by andyscalzo

Hey, sure, I'm way off, and have no 'effing clue what hell I'm talking about, you are right. Seems you are the type of fella that has to get that last word in no matter what, anyway, so I'll say no more. The KJ Channel now has 244 subscribers, we will see how long it takes them to achieve 14,000.

As an end user, it's really of no consequence to me.. I dig kamado cooking, and will fire any b g e , joe, etc recipes on my vision, have a great time & eat like a champ.

I feel my classic can go toe to toe with just about any cooker, when I'm standing behind it.

Now for the marketing end game, of course my psyche will be swayed toward a cooker I will spend hours watching familiar John got busy on.. Frequent Placement & impression (eye contact with product = impressions) are powerful marketing tools.

If I ever pop on another kamado, no doubt it will be a big joe for its capacity, only caviat being a super hell of a "grab it now man" deal.

Wow, where have I been?  First, John thanks for your years of hard work on MCM, the site became my "go to" site for learning.  You have a welcoming style which is probably one of the reasons KJ hired you.  I'll miss MCM and if I had the time I'd do what others have done I too would download the MCM collection, but I don't.  I'm very happy Kamado Guru will remain in place and continue to look forward to your participation within the community you created.  You'll do for KJ what Billy Mayes did for Oxiclean.  Most people only think he was a spokesman, truth he really believed in the product, used the product and I think even owned a percentage of the company.  Nothing wrong with advocating for a quality product or having actual skilled people, like yourself, doing the "pitching".  This is the obvious evolution of what you started.  Congratulations in your decision, not an easy one to walk away from one of your babys (MCM), and let's get busy cooking.  Good luck to you.

Hey, sure, I'm way off, and have no 'effing clue what hell I'm talking about, you are right. Seems you are the type of fella that has to get that last word in no matter what, anyway, so I'm out here, anyway, dude. The KJ Channel now has 244 subscribers, we will see how long it takes them to achieve 14,000.

Ross, I love hearing other peoples perspective, but when you start tossing out numbers that are 90% off and assumptions that are baseless, you pretty much lose all creditability If you're going to cite numbers and facts at least have a clue what you are talking about. It's really hard to take someone serious when they are tossing facts and figures they are clueless on. Kamado Joe has not even uploaded anything to their YouTube channel as of yet. It's only been online for a couple of weeks. One of their California dealers has uploaded a 30 second commercial spot on it. The first video submitted by the company will be after John shoots it.

Edited by andyscalzo

Some of the existing Man Cave Meals videos will be moving to the new channel.  The rest will be taken offline as part of this agreement.  

I forgot to ask, and I have't noticed anyone else doing so, but will you and KJ continue to use the "Man Cave Meals" brand going forward in your new video endeavors?  With as many followers as you have on Youtube, it makes good sense to keep that brand, a big chunk of value for KJ in addition to having you on board.

Some of the existing Man Cave Meals videos will be moving to the new channel.  The rest will be taken offline as part of this agreement.  

I forgot to ask, and I have't noticed anyone else doing so, but will you and KJ continue to use the "Man Cave Meals" brand going forward in your new video endeavors?  With as many followers as you have on Youtube, it makes good sense to keep that brand, a big chunk of value for KJ in addition to having you on board.

No.  Some of my existing videos that are moving to the KJ channel will have me saying "Man Cave Meals" in the beginning and at the end as they are now but newly created videos will not have this.  There will be new intro/exit clips on all the videos with Kamado Joe branding.

Thanks once again to all of you for your support and comments on this situation.  Here are some answers to some questions that have come up:

1.  The Man Cave Meals YouTube channel will 'exist' but the only video that will be available for viewing on that channel is the announcement video that I posted yesterday.  All of the other videos will be unavailable.  Some of the videos on this channel will be re-branded and moved to the Kamado Joe YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/kamadojoegrills over the next week or so.  I am working on that part of the project as we speak.

2.  The homebrewing videos are irrelevant to this project so I plan to move those to my personal YouTube channel which is located here:  http://www.youtube.com/user/jmsetzler - I will continue to post personal videos on that channel that are not related to cooking.

3.  The decision to close the Man Cave Meals channels online is a MUTUAL decision between myself and Kamado Joe.  Kamado Joe is providing me with an opportunity to be one of their public-facing representatives through YouTube, Facebook, and their website/forum.  In order for me to be most effective in this role, it's not appropriate for me to have videos floating around with me using and promoting other products.  As far as my 'promotion' work is concerned, I will be only promoting Kamado Joe.  This makes the most business sense.  

How does KamadoGuru fit into this?

KamadoGuru is realized as a great benefit to kamado and outdoor cooking in general.  This site will remain unchanged.  This site is realized as a great resource for anyone who cooks on a kamado grill regardless of the brand.  The simple fact that we have a large number of participants here who are working side-by-side on common goals in cooking while using different kamado grills makes it a valuable asset to the kamado market in general.  People find this site to be a strong resource when researching a kamado purchase.  Some of that business will go to all the kamado manufacturers.  It helps the user make an informed choice based on real-time information and member feedback.  

My role on Kamado Guru:

While I am still the owner/administrator of kamadoguru.com, my role and participation here will not change.  I will continue to provide support and feedback as I always have to anyone who asks for it.  I have maintained a relatively neutral position here from the beginning when it comes to pushing one product or another.  I'm supportive of whatever decision someone makes when it comes time to buy something.  I do always provide what I know about what I have when asked.  If I'm asked for comparisions and contrasts between grill models, I'll share what I know just as all of you do and will continue to do!  

If the time should ever come where I don't think I could be an asset to this community as an administrator/owner, I will pursue a change in ownership of this forum rather than closing it down.  

Wow, lot of emotion here! My perspective here is that John got a great opportunity, a well deserved one at that, he took it and I am extremely happy for him as are most people. I am confused that some people think he is throwing people under the bus, or abandoning them or is a sellout? He isn't going anywhere except to a new channel? He still will be making his videos with the only thing changing being his intro and closeout lines and of course, the product line. So whats the problem? People followed MCM not simply because he cooked on a Acorn or some other grill, but because he is able to demonstrate to people how to cook great food on a kamado grill. Its his demeanor and style that instills confidence into the listener, so much  that they think they can just go outside, get on their grill and replicate the cook that he just did, first time and every time. That's why people watch him, that's why KJ hired him and that's why I contend that most of his subscribers will follow him over to the new channel. I believe that it will get better than before because there will be a bunch of new videos coming out on a consistent basis as this is part of his job now. Kamado Joe is essentially funding him to continue doing what he has been doing and it benefits all kamado owners, regardless of brand.

Tom