Sick day fun

Improv

Got a little cold at the end of this week. Just bad enough for me to look like hell at the studio yesterday so everyone feels sorry for me but not bad enough for me to be totally laid out on my first full day off in ages...

Started the day with a little kitchen remodeling. Gained ~2 square feet of counter space by installing this knife strip. That is huge in my kitchen. Plus I really dig how it looks. My old one couldn't fit the two new Victorinox chef knives at the end.

post-2498-0-04670300-1381615533_thumb.jp

I'll be working the rest of the week, so I wanted to do up some extra protein for leftovers for my ladies. So two chickens are brining in salt, brown sugar, soy sauce, and italian herbs.

post-2498-0-27377900-1381615535_thumb.jp

Did up a hobo pack of potatos, carrots, onion, and garlic...

post-2498-0-73612300-1381615530_thumb.jp

... and I'm about to light a fire to cook it all up. ~350° for an hour or so. More pics to come, of course...

I started with my small birds upright in "beercan position"...

post-2498-0-93025900-1381619610_thumb.jp

... but the lid was baaaarely touching them, so I moved to this rather laid-back position:

post-2498-0-65600700-1381619613_thumb.jp

Holes in the hobo pack to let the juices in. They won't be Bon Appetit covers, but they should be tasty...

Those guys look amazing!  Tonight I had some bits and juice from a 6-7 hour 22lbs Turkey (just a sample) off an XL BGE and let me tell you, it's the most amazing Turkey I've ever tasted (Canadian Thanksgiving). If that chicken, which looks just as good, is even half as good, it'll be out of this world.

See, now I'm tempted to go Kamado before spring just so I can do our Christmas bird on it. So tempting.

Improv - glad to hear you're back amongst the living!  A quick Q - have you ever roasted off the neck, giblet, sac, etc. and boiled those in the broth and then taken them out and stripped the little bots of meat from the neck?  Makes some incredibly flavorful stock for the basis of many a soup.  Learnt that trick from my Momma.  I do a lot of fowl and I've always got a lot of stuff i don't eat hanging around in the freezer just in case ...

Be well and don't work so hard!

Improv - glad to hear you're back amongst the living!  A quick Q - have you ever roasted off the neck, giblet, sac, etc. and boiled those in the broth and then taken them out and stripped the little bots of meat from the neck?  Makes some incredibly flavorful stock for the basis of many a soup.  Learnt that trick from my Momma.  I do a lot of fowl and I've always got a lot of stuff i don't eat hanging around in the freezer just in case ...

Be well and don't work so hard!

That's also the way my mother does it at holidays. You're right, it is delicious... but I've never made the effort. She cuts them into the tiniest little giblets. Yum!