Noob to it all, but liking it so far

Hi. Got my Akorn this weekend, and so far really like it. I did the cleaning/seasoning burn, then launched it with veal chops. Yesterday I smoked some pork chops to get my feet wet there. A couple of observations/clarifications:

1. I am guessing that little wisps of smoke shouldn't be escaping from around the thermometer, so sealing and tightening throughout is a must-do, and I can find all the info I need here. Right? ;-) And the bottom vent is best sealed with the BGE felt?

2. Besides the manufacturer, the accessories don't appear to be widely available. What other brands will work? Like will a BGE plate saver stone fit, or is the smokin' stone the only option? I read about the foil-wrapped grate with the pizza stone, but am concerned about which one to use, as most pizza stones I've seen say don't go over 450°.

Thanks, and I look forward to trying some of the cooking ideas I've found.

Greetings and welcome :)

There are a lot of options for tweaking your akorn. You can pick from several posted around here... I don't think the BGE stuff will fit in the Akorn so you might want to investigate the Smokin' Stone or the Weber Grate / pizza pan solution. Either should work equally well.

Not even a noob yet - 2 more hours to wait before becoming one ;-) Picking my Akorn up from Lowes this evening. Have been reading this forum for a couple of weeks now - I'm guessing info I've picked up here will save me hours of experimentation and mistakes. FYI, friend's wife told me last night that she got him BGE for upcoming birthday. Will be interesting comparing our new cookers.

Otto, the thermometer may just need tightening.

Many small leaks disappear after a number of cooks as the cooker seasons & deposits form around leaking areas.

Big leaks fix early on because you have to clean really well after seasoning to get the gasket material to stick.

Not even a noob yet - 2 more hours to wait before becoming one ;-) Picking my Akorn up from Lowes this evening. Have been reading this forum for a couple of weeks now - I'm guessing info I've picked up here will save me hours of experimentation and mistakes. FYI, friend's wife told me last night that she got him BGE for upcoming birthday. Will be interesting comparing our new cookers.

Just make sure you dont tell the friends wife what you paid for the Akorn. :D

I looked at a BGE before I purchased my Akorn.

It was like buying a car or worse yet tires.

There are many things that Akorn owners take for granted which are standard on the Akorn but are extra price on the BGE. That makes the out the door price of an BGE much more than the often quoted price people use when comparing the BGE to the Akorn. Unless you frequently cook over 700 degrees. You wont find any real difference between the two in terms of how they cook.

I think the Akorn has succeeded where others have failed or not done as well as they wanted to do.

The $299 price has introduced Kamado cooking to the masses and all Kamado owners and manufactures will benefit. Just look at this site for example. All the Kamado types are listed here but, with economics being what they are. The majority of the post are here.

Thanks for the welcome and input. I had grown weary of cooking on a gas grill, and the propane mawnster all my wonderful kids gave me one year at Christmas had rusted beyond repair. I started looking at the BGE, and was shocked - shocked, I tell you - at the price, but could also see there was a lot of quality amongst the overpriced options, and there's no denying the style factor. But it wasn't in the cards, so I had decided on the Weber Performer until I found the Akorn at Lowe's for $299. So far I am thrilled, and can't wait to really open up my outdoor cooking possibilities.