I screwed up with a after cook burn off

For the couple of times it happened to me I was able to pinch the Akorn gasket back into shape. I do that anyway every few high temp cooks.

I agree the Chargriller gasket is one tough cookie. When the time comes I will probably just replace with a factory original gasket.

For the couple of times it happened to me I was able to pinch the Akorn gasket back into shape. I do that anyway every few high temp cooks.

I agree the Chargriller gasket is one tough cookie. When the time comes I will probably just replace with a factory original gasket.

Finally!!--another person who has had good luck with the stock gaskets. I was frankly shocked when I crumbled the carbon crystals out of the gasket from a grease fire and it was fine. Still using it a season and a half later.

I did this once when I thought there wasn't much coal left and it couldn't possibly get tooooo hot during the dinner time burn off. Intended to burn up the remaining lump to start fresh on the next cook. Came out after a few cocktails and dinner to find a remarkably small amount of lump had pegged my dome thermometer. Much respect!

Problems: none but may need to check my bottom gasket??? Didn't "run away" for very long either, could have been an issue had I not caught it and shut her down.

Sure cleaned up my top vent which had been getting a little sticky.

Be very careful. Wide open on both vents probably isn't necessary for a grate burn off and I won't be going wide open again. If I ever intend to finish off the coal again, it'll not be rushed. 2&2 on the vents will be plenty.

I accidentally did the same thing with my Akorn before and I thought I had tore something up. Everything was OK once it cooled off. The top vent was almost impossible to close probably due to metal expansion but once it cooled off I was able to close it. My top vent was also very loose once it cooled down all the way but tightening a few bolts took care of that. I did a couple of more low and slow cooks since then and I'm pretty sure my little thermal runaway hasn't affect my Akorn's ability to maintain a low temperature.

The grill was really clean after my 45 minutes burn off but I will never attempt it again. Especially not while eating dinner inside. I think you might be ok once you tighten those top vent bolts.

Finally!!--another person who has had good luck with the stock gaskets. I was frankly shocked when I crumbled the carbon crystals out of the gasket from a grease fire and it was fine. Still using it a season and a half later.

Mine went nuke once and the lid gasket seemed dark and hard, I pushed on it and all of the burned gunk and grease came out and I was left with a good functioning factory lid gasket.  I think they were good gaskets and actually wish I had the same on my Primo.  The felt that comes on most ceramics is not nearly as good as the gasket that comes on a CGK IMHO.

How ironic is this on Sunday i cooked a pork butt and did not not wrap it at all so i had lots of grease drip down inside my Acorn.  I never do a burn off at high temps but this time i thought i would so i opened the vents fully and said to myself i will not forget that i did this.  Well about 3 hours later after dinner i sat down on the couch to look at the Kamado Guru forum to see what everyone had cooked this weekend and i saw this post and a light went off in my head.  I went outside and my Red Akorn is now a brownish color all of the screws are loose and the gaskets are toast.  The grill was at about 500 when i went out but i think that was because it had burned thru all of the Charcoal.  I am so lucky i did not go outside to fire on my deck.  This will be the last time i try to do a burn off.  Lesson learned.

When doing a burn off I don't recommend going over 600. I used to do burn offs all the time but I never let it get past 600 and I would always drink a couple of beers keeping an eye on my akorn and never leave it unattended. Sorry to hear about yours.

Glad to hear no damage to house/deck. Been seeing alot of these stories lately and this is from so called informed kamado cookers. Wonder how many times this really happens out there. Just goes to show walking away from vents fully opened on a kamado grill is like leaving a loaded gun on the table....

Doing a burn off is a hands on process. For one thing you need to close the vents down as the temps climb-- so you do not go above 700 and IMO 600 is better.

You need to stay with it until the smoke comes out clear. Then shut the vents up. This can take half an hour or as long as it takes. As had been said you never want to walk away  with the vents full open. If you are bringing it up to temp and need to walk away close the top and bottom vents down to 1 or .5 until you get back.

I have done a lot of burn offs and never found any damage to mine but I never walked away.

Definitely goes without saying. Some of us are just real friggen absent minded, that's all there is to it. I've done it a time or two with the Vision, and although it's not as catastrophic as doing it on the Akorn, I'm sure that some of the fine hairline cracks I see on my firebox base, as well as the floor of the Kamado, itself, were the result of letting it go nuclear over 1000°s a time or two. I wouldn't recommend those temps for extended time for any Kamado, but it can be particularly deadly with an Akorn.

Definitely goes without saying. Some of us are just real friggen absent minded, that's all there is to it. I've done it a time or two with the Vision, and although it's not as catastrophic as doing it on the Akorn, I'm sure that some of the fine hairline cracks I see on my firebox base, as well as the floor of the Kamado, itself, were the result of letting it go nuclear over 1000°s a time or two. I wouldn't recommend those temps for extended time for any Kamado, but it can be particularly deadly with an Akorn.

I am probably the most absent minded person in the world. I did start heating the AKORN once and went inside 'for just a minute' The AKORN was probably 900 when i got back. Now I NEVER leave with the vents open where it can gain any amount of heat. 1 and 1 is safe.

Some of us are just real friggen absent minded, that's all there is to it.

ALL of us are absent-minded from time to time, and it only takes one time for something really bad to happen! :|

It's not worth the risk!

See the post "experienced Akorn owners-need input". Inspect both gaskets and O ring. Go from there. I replaced all three. The 700 degree or more scenario was me a few weeks ago. I'm back in business, and confident after reading the helpful posts.

Put me down as never going past 600 stock thermometer, again. If I ever leave my grill unattended for any reason, with or without a cook inside, I will shut the vents fully closed.

A restart is better than a meltdown.

mike echo