Kamado side cart - ready made IKEA for under $69!

KamadoCobra

I just finished rebuilding a "hand-me-down" Grill Dome which I will be using as my "deck-top" winter griller (the Komodo Kamado is boxed back in its crate for the winter since I don't feel like shoveling through 10 feet of snow).  I did some research on "cheap big green egg tables" and happened upon a photo of an inexpensive IKEA kitchen cart. I decided to add my own mod by incorporating an IKEA spice rack and hangers for added storage. I finshed it with SiKKENS Cetol cedar tint stain and voila! (See attached photo).

Here's the list of items used:

1. IKEA Bekvam Kitchen cart: $59.99

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30240348/

2. IKEA Bekvam Spice rack (note I relocated the placement of the base to act as a backboard - see photo): $3.99

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40070185/

3. IKEA BLECKA hooks: $4.99 for 4

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40031373/

post-3127-0-11784200-1382319031.jpg

I finshed it with SiKKENS Cetol cedar tint stain and voila!

It's going to last and last with Cetol. I had this cart indoors for years until a couple of years ago. We moved and just didn't have a place for it in the new house (which already had much more counter space than we previously had). It remained outside from fall until the next summer without any protection through snow, sun and rain - the only thing that happened was the top blackened started to split and warp. One of our friends took it and replaced the top. For the price, the cart is very well made and once treated with Cetol there shouldn't be any issues with weathering. I also see that you've added some wood to cover the slats, nice.

Thanks - Yeah I swear by Cetol. It's bulletproof! Especially with our Canadian winters. 

The wood covers were teak protection boards which shipped with my KK accessories. They were too nice to throw away so I held onto them. Wouldn't you know it - they fit perfectly on the IKEA shelves (bonus!).

I never heard of Cetol but just read something about it. Hmm... I live in Texas and my mahogany front door gets blasted by the sun, about every 12-18 months I need to refinish it. Right now it needs it again. I have been using Spar Poly which is supposed to last a long time but does not.

The little table looks like a space efficient idea, however I am skeptical in our rainforest environment in Houston that would not rot out. 

I never heard of Cetol but just read something about it. Hmm... I live in Texas and my mahogany front door gets blasted by the sun, about every 12-18 months I need to refinish it. Right now it needs it again. I have been using Spar Poly which is supposed to last a long time but does not.

The little table looks like a space efficient idea, however I am skeptical in our rainforest environment in Houston that would not rot out. 

Here in Canada we experience extremes in temperature; high heat and humidity in the summer (90+ degrees) and 4 feet of snow in the winter (minus 30+ degrees). The deck in the background of my photo was stained with Sikkens Cetol 4 years ago and has weathered well.

The table is raw birch and for $59 (table only), you really can't go wrong..  I bought an inexpensive cover at Lowes for $7.98 which has been holding up quite well.  TIme will tell if the Cetol will do the trick.

To be honest, a side table with accessories for only $69 is practically disposable.

My Cetol treated reclaimed Teak table and bench have already weathered two winters and three summers very well. That was using the much more expensive Marine Cetol, but honestly, it's not much different in performance from the $40 1 Gallon cans sold at Home Depot in the US (I have no idea where to get the deck product here in Canada - any tips?)  We did a friend's IPE deck this past summer and with heavy traffic it still looks amazing - we'll redress it with a single coat in the spring.

• 1 year later...

Since posting this thread, i have been using the side cart as a stand for my Akorn Jr :
post-3127-14294912768631_thumb.jpg

It turns out that if I remove the top, the shelf sits at the perfect height to seat the Akorn Jr at counter height (36")!
post-3127-14294914238373_thumb.jpg

BTW, this is the same unretouched table after 2 Canadian winters. The Cetol is holding up well!

My next project will be to add a table top surround for the Akorn Jr!

Thanks Aussie Joe. 

It's a real bonus to have found a low-cost table for my Akorn Jr.  

It's my daily "go-to" K for quick cooks and high-heat (steak) sears.

Actually, I need to build a custom table to fit all my BBQ's (there's 4!) but never enough time because I'm spending what little of it I have cooking (Yes!).

:-D

_KCobra

Outstanding.

I really like that.

I'm always needing another side table beside my Big Joe.

The custom tables I've looked at are too short as I really like the working height of the grill as it sits now.

That is a great solution for your Jr.

Just curious about this Cetol....is it like a stain that soaks in or like a varnish that coats? Thinking of doing my deck and fence. Having to redo it after a few yrs is bad enough but I don't want to have to scrape first.