Brining Vessels/Containers

Yes, great for brining. Amazon sells them. They are called Ziploc big bag. They come in various sizes, 3, 10 and 20 gallon. Sometimes they are in the laundry section as the larger ones are intended for clothes. I use the 10 gallon bag to line a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket.

I pick them up at Wal*Mart, but they don't always have them in stock. There is also a Fleet Farm type store near me that has them.

I have had people try to tell me they are not food safe. Here's some good info from their web-site concerning that issue and the three sizes available:

• Can I use Ziploc® brand Big Bags to store food?
    Yes. Ziploc® brand Big Bags can be used to store food, but they should not be used in the microwave or oven.

• What sizes do Ziploc® brand Big Bags come in?
    Ziploc® brand Big Bags are available in three big sizes:
    • L equivalent to 3 Gallon (11.4L) 1.25 FT. x 1.25 FT. (38.1cm x 38.1cm) 5ct.
    • XL equivalent to 10 Gallon (37.8L) 2 FT. x 1.7 FT. (60cm x 51 cm) 4ct.
    • XXL equivalent to 20 Gallon (75.7L) 2 FT. x 2.7 FT. (60cm x 82 cm) 3ct
Edited by andyscalzo

Anybody else use these huge Ziplock Storage Bags for brining large hunks of meat? They are food safe and work great. Brine the meat and toss them away.   

THANK YOU for sharing this... I have never seen these, but have always dreamed of the day I would discover something like this for brining.  I will be picking a box of these up right away... whether it be ghetto*mart or Amazon ;-)

I pick them up at Wal*Mart, but they don't always have them in stock. There is also a Fleet Farm type store near me that has them.

I have had people try to tell me they are not food safe. Here's some good info from their web-site concerning that issue and the three sizes available:

Yes. Ziploc® brand Big Bags can be used to store food, but they should not be used in the microwave or oven.

Are you using the XXL?  Wouldn't the XL be more than enough for a good sized turkey?  Just want to make sure before I place order.

Are you using the XXL?  Wouldn't the XL be more than enough for a good sized turkey?  Just want to make sure before I place order.

I am using the XXL only because I didn't have the XL. The XL will handle a pretty large bird. I usually keep all three sizes on hand, but I use more XL's than the others. I have found many other non-food uses for them also.