Brining Vessels/Containers

Another vote for pickle bucket. Dropped by my local sub shop where I've gone for years, (Goodies, Burlington ON.) and the owner was too happy to give me an empty 5 gallon pale (pickles) - or as many as I needed. It was free, food grade and fits perfectly in my garage beer fridge. I've marked it with a permanent marker as DAD's pale - BRINE ONLY so the kids don't use it for washing the dog or something ;).

For large pieces of meat (like turkey) I use a Gatorade cooler similar to the ones you see on the sidelines of a football game. I put the brine, the meat and some ice and the ice is still intact 18hrs later. I got mine at a garage sale for a couple of bucks, but I believe they sell them at Home Depot.

How do you guys clean out the 5 gallon buckets after a brine? I line mine with the Ziploc Big Bags so I don't have to clean out the 5 gallon bucket, but if you have an easy way to remove the potential issues left behind from a large turkey brined directly in the bucket, I would like hear about it. Thanks.

Where do you pour the brine solution that potentially contains salmonella?

Down the toilet and clean the bucket with some hot soapy water and a little shot of bleach.

However, just this week I bought a box of those xl zip locks on amazon to line the bucket for easy cleanup and just squeeze out the air instead of having the bird float in the bucket.

However, just this week I bought a box of those xl zip locks on amazon to line the bucket for easy cleanup and just squeeze out the air instead of having the bird float in the bucket.

Could not agree more on the xl bags to line the bucket.