Here's the lastest revision of my Smoked Macaroni & Cheese recipe!  You can use this recipe of your own favorite recipe and smoke it on the kamado!

Smoked Macaroni & Cheese

Ingredients:

2 to 2 1/2 cups uncooked macaroni noodles (cooked per box instructions)
1 1/4 cups milk
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 stick melted butter
4 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
Grated parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Preheat your grill or smoker to 350°F.  Cook the macaroni per box instructions and drain.  Add the milk, eggs, melted butter, chipotle powder, 2 cups of the shredded cheddar, and some grated parmesan cheese back to the drained macaroni and mix well.  Transfer to your baking dish.  Top with remaining shredded cheddar and a little more grated parmesan cheese.  Add cracked black pepper to taste.

Cook on the grill at 350°F for 30 minutes and then ramp the temp up to 400 degrees and cook until golden brown on top and bubbly in the center, about 10-15 more minutes.  Let cool, serve, and be BLOWN AWAY!

I made your meatloaf and Mac and cheese today for dinner.

The meatloaf was good. Probably best meatloaf I've had. That sauce is great on the meatloaf.

But the mac and cheese....holy $&@?!!!! Seriously, that is by far the best mac and cheese I've ever had. A family of 5 (including kids ages 6, 9, and 11) ate a 1 1/2 pound meatloaf and almost the full recipe of mac and cheese. The smokiness of the macaroni and cheese is shocking. I like heavy smoke so I used hickory. I wouldn't change a thing!!!

I can't thank you enough for posting this. It's absolutely amazing.

post-10065-0-64914800-1448671704_thumb.j

I made your meatloaf and Mac and cheese today for dinner.

The meatloaf was good. Probably best meatloaf I've had. That sauce is great on the meatloaf.

But the mac and cheese....holy $&@?!!!! Seriously, that is by far the best mac and cheese I've ever had. A family of 5 (including kids ages 6, 9, and 11) ate a 1 1/2 pound meatloaf and almost the full recipe of mac and cheese. The smokiness of the macaroni and cheese is shocking. I like heavy smoke so I used hickory. I wouldn't change a thing!!!

I can't thank you enough for posting this. It's absolutely amazing.

Testimonials like that make it all worthwhile :)  I'm glad you guys liked it!

I made this side dish yesterday for my son.

He loved it.  The smoke flavor really was a hit.

Thanks again, John, for yet another home run recipe !!!!

I made this yesterday and i'll have to say i was very disappointed in the outcome. It tasted ok but it was not creamy at all!, in fact the egg in the recipe pretty much made it like scrambled eggs in the mac. Had this been creamy mac and cheese it would have been a hit.

On ‎19‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 6:44 AM, bel4_20 said:

I made this yesterday and i'll have to say i was very disappointed in the outcome. It tasted ok but it was not creamy at all!, in fact the egg in the recipe pretty much made it like scrambled eggs in the mac. Had this been creamy mac and cheese it would have been a hit.

I've been tweaking this recipe for a couple of months now

I find adding cream instead of milk adds a bit more balance plus helps to add more smoke flavor due to the higher fat content

Its a winner for me

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Smokingdadbbq
      In this video, you will find all of the information necessary to properly unbox and assemble your new Kamado Joe Classic III grill.  I didn't think to make a video for the first one, so thought I would share tips I picked up from doing it a second time around.

• By LargeRedJoe
      Kamado Joe is having a warehouse sale next Friday and Saturday in Atlanta (well, really it's Duluth).

Kamado Joe
      3400 Rivergreen Ct NW
      Duluth, GA 30096-2519

ETA: From Conor Brennan

• By Fudpucker
      As the title suggests, I am looking for help getting my Akorn to act the way I want it to for smoking purposes. 

I have the smoking stone, use a water pan, and lower my dampers until it basically snuffs out my fire, but I cannot seem to keep my Akorn at 225. 

Now, I will admit that I am new to smoking and that there is a lot to be learned, but I have read tons of guides and watched videos and replicated them to my best ability, but still cannot get it to work for me. 

Currently, my process is this:

Open dampers all the way Fill bottom of grill full of hardwood lump Light with cotton balls soaked in alcohol Toss in a couple chunks of hickory Place my smoking stone Place my water pan Close lid and let set until 150 Close dampers halfway until 180 Close dampers again halfway until 210 Close dampers halfway one last time to about .5 on top and bottom.  
      1 of 2 things happens here. Either the temp keeps building to nearly 300 or the fire dies. 

I play with the dampers making very small .5 adjustments to try and finagle it, but I cannot seem to get it right. 

When I do seem to get the temps in a semi stable range around 230-260 (after LOTS of adjustments), after about an hour I go to spritz my meat with some apple juice and the temps take off again (Obviously because I just fed it a lot of oxygen) and never seem to come back down. 

I have read about this "volcano" method of lighting the coals, but I literally have not found any videos or pictures on how to set that up. 

Basically, I have no idea what I am doing wrong and I could use someone being critical of my process to give me some advice and direction. 

Thanks for any feedback!

• By GrillDawg
      Fired up the KJ for some NY Strip Steaks last night. I'd have to say...best steak I've had, hands down.

Got the steaks from a Stripling's General Store here in town. Seasoned with some Lane's BBQ Brisket rub. Put a block of Hickory in the fire.

1. Got the grill up to around 300º while seasoning.

2. First time using my ThermoPro wireless thermometer. It definitely gave me the flexibility of hanging out inside while getting up to temp!

3. Got the steaks to 125º and pulled them off and tented with aluminum foil.

4. Opened up the vents and aimed to get to 550-600º for the sear.

5. "I have made fire!"

6. Looking tasty! It smelled so good.

7. Plated with some spinach salad and a twice baked potato from Striplings.

8. Look at that color!

I'd have to say...this is my fourth cook on my KJ since buying it for Father's Day and everything I make on it is amazing. My wife looked at my across the table while eating and said, "I see why you wanted to spend so much money on a grill. This is delicious!"

If only she would have that logic when I try to convince her I want to buy a truck...haha
    • By GrillDawg
      Fired up the Kamado Joe today for some baby back ribs. Followed the video @John Setzler posted on YouTube. My rack ended up being a little smaller than the one in the video so I never quite got the bend test, but these were definitely some of the best ribs I have ever had. Pics below!

Baby Back Ribs
      Rub: A custom one made by Lanes BBQ (a local BBQ place located in Bethlehem, GA). On Father's Day our church gave out a custom rub Lane's made to all the dads. It was great!!
      Sauce: Sweet Baby Ray's diluted with some apple juice
      Cook time: 5ish hours
      Smoked with some cherry blocks

1. Put them on the grill around 12:30PM

2. ~2 hours into cook

3. Profile shot (~3 hours)

4. Gettin' saucy (~4 hours)

5. Nice color and glaze. This was right before I took them off.

6. Plated w/ roasted broccoli and cauliflower plus roll

7. Yessir!

8. Fall off the bone!

9. Gotta shoutout to one of my favorite breweries and they are located 5 min away: Terrapin Beer!

Really enjoyed this cook today. Excited to take the leftovers and make a hash with them in the morning!