The time has come...

John Setzler

to admit that I'm getting OLD!

I'm an anomaly in my entire family.  My sister, parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents on BOTH sides of the family all wear glasses.  I do not.  

However...

I'm having a progressively more difficult time reading and focusing on things close to my face so I have been toying with reading glasses for the last two years or so.  I bought a $20 pair of reading glasses (1.25x) at Walmart and they work OK but they really to look cheesy.  Do any of you use reading glasses and where do you get them?

I held out for quite a while before I finally decided to get my eyes examined and purchased prescription eyeglasses. Then wished I would have when I began to notice problems or earlier. HD TV never looked so good and reading was also a lot easier on the eyes. My first pair was through Sears and my second I purchased at Eyemart Express. Good experience at both.

to admit that I'm getting OLD!

I'm an anomaly in my entire family.  My sister, parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents on BOTH sides of the family all wear glasses.  I do not.  

However...

I'm having a progressively more difficult time reading and focusing on things close to my face so I have been toying with reading glasses for the last two years or so.  I bought a $20 pair of reading glasses (1.25x) at Walmart and they work OK but they really to look cheesy.  Do any of you use reading glasses and where do you get them?

LOL I did the same thing about two months ago.. same story, you won't regret it , I ended up with progressives .

John.. We were all hesitant to really inform you that your videos for the last year or so had to be viewed at least at arms length or from across the room to be in focus. All of us just thought our eyes had gone bad. Perhaps it is time to improve your glasses and save us the peril... LoL

You could look for a pair of cheap glasses ( even sun glasses) that you think look O.K. And stick these on http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/optx-20-20.html

I have been wearing glasses since the 3rd grade ( yes I hate them) and last year had to switch to tri-focals. Now those are a real PIA !!!!!! Kind of wish I never got em. I will admit that none of the cheap reading glasses are as good as real glasses as far as the reading part, I have tried quite a few. I have magnifiers in my welding helmets. For me the "blended glasses" don't work as I do quite a bit of towing and those require a direct look at each side mirror to see what your looking at compared to a glance with regular bi-focals. IMHO

Not to be an alarmist...but have you had your eyes checked?  I had the same problem focusing up close.  Turns out I had cataracts in both eyes.  I had worn glasses for 50 years...(I'm 58, and was nearsighted), and after surgery just last month, I don't need 'em at all for distance.  Just readers (Target) to see up close!  And "ebijack"....those stick on deals are brilliant...have to check that out.

Get to an optometrist John. There are a handful of general health issues that can be detected with an eye examination. Did you know the earliest test to detect Parkinson's is an eye exam?  Cheaters may seemingly help you but can also be damaging at the same time.

If you've been noticing your sight on the decline for a while now you're going to be shocked at how well you see when the issue is remedied with proper prescription glasses. Sears  has good deals and an optometrist on sight. A good deal for lineless bifocals with progressive lenses is around $250.00-$300.00 for two pair (sunglasses). DO IT. 

I agree with the general population here, John.  Schedule an eye exam.  Believe it or not, if you DO actually need corrective lenses, you'll end up being super glad you got em.  Changes your quality of life!

Thanks to everyone for your feedback!

I have taken it all into consideration and decided to have my eyes checked.  I will, however, be waiting until January or February to do this.  Open enrollment is coming up at work and I currently don't pay for vision care insurance.  I need to sign up for that and it will only cost me $3.97 every other week to have.  That will get me an annual eye exam for a $15 co-pay and a $15 co-pay on prescription glasses if needed up to $150.  I figure paying $104 per year is cheaper than the out-of-pocket cost of the eye exam alone so I'll go that route and stick with my reading glasses for now until it's determined that I need something else...

Sound like a plan?

Sounds great, but don't delay. As someone mentioned earlier, serious conditions can be detected by other exams. Not trying to scare you, but you might know for example that oral hygiene contributes to heart health. You're talking 3+ months away, so I'd do it ASAP. And like I said, good sight is a beautiful thing...

I really do think my vision is OK once I'm looking at something at least 20" away from my face.  I don't 'seem' to have any issues with distances beyond that.  I'll check around and see what the eye exams cost out-of-pocket and have a look into it...