Old Country BBQ Pits Wrangler Smoker

John Setzler

To get something better you would have to spend twice the money.  Do you not think that weld is going to hold up?

I'm sure the smoker is fine, but that weld is not a weld in reality, it's called a cold weld because it is laid on top of the metal and not bonding/melting the two metal pieces together. There is no penetration, so it might not hold up, since there is no load/tension on the chimney it will probably be ok. If the firebox weld look like that all the way around I would take it back. Some of the firebox has proper penetration but some of it is a cold weld. They either have someone inexperienced welding at that time, or their quality control isn't working. For that kind of $$, there is no way I would buy one that looked like that, but that's me. Funny thing is, I've been thinking of buying another stick burner since I got rid of my last one as they are something different to cook with.

I'll agree to disagree with you toofast.  I've been fabricator/welder a long time, and there is no way I would trust that weld to hold anything together. Anywhere I've worked would have you grinding that off and doing it properly. As it is classified as a "cold weld" and does not have the proper strength.

That weld doesn't have to hold much. Other than expansion / contraction from heat, the only stress on it is to keep the 10 lb chimney perched upright. It's not like it's a truck hoist lifting a load of gravel or anything. And if it does crack or even in the vastly remote chance it fell clear off, a mobile welder and some touch up paint will have it better than new relatively inexpensively in no time at all. It's a smoker, after all. I've seen some mighty crappy little cold beads on a lot of Traegers in my day but I have never seen one fail and for sure not fall to pieces.

I wouldn't lose a moment's sleep over all this, John. That's a pretty nice offset and I'd take that thing off your hands this afternoon and be pleased as punch about it. You said in the beginning you wanted to buy an offset to learn on but didn't want to spend a fortune on a Yoder, etc., and still you wanted something a lot better than the big box store Char-Griller tin tubes. I think you found the perfect fit in that smoker.

Mmmmmm has a very good point. If something does break it is easy to get a repair. Welding shops are every where. It would be much harder to make the parts than to get a repair.

It has been a long time since I welded any thing. Too much heat and the metal melts and falls through. Not enough and it beads on the top. A little bit less and it only beads on one side of the weld.  Just right and the weld is melted into the sheets and becomes part of the sheets it is joining. Time will tell.

I have no worries about the welding on this smoker.  These things have a limited lifetime warranty which includes full coverage of defective workmanship.  This smoker is built FAR better and stronger than anything else I have seen in these price ranges.  It's not going to come apart :)

I guess it came with some Budweiser as I see some empty cans in the trash...great deal!

Those are philpom's bud empties... you won't see bud at the man cave ;)

This is getting personal!   :)  Everyone should know (and probably be surprised) that Beer Advocates gave Budweiser a score of 86 and it is the top "session" beer.  I keep some Fat Tire, Arrogant Bastard, Ranger IPA etc around but I do like Bud.  It's the perfect beer to take out on the riding mower or to have while you work out in the garden.

Just to stay on topic....  John, what are you going to cook first?  I did 10 pounds of leg quarters on mine because I think that help season it. (chicken fat splatter).  

And...

Yes, the lifetime warranty really seals the deal, if you look inside at the back you'll find the plate with your serial number on it. 

I dunno what I'm going to cook on it first.  I have seasoned it inside and out already.  I'm going to cold smoke 10 or 12 pounds of cheese on it tonight with my tube pellet smoker.  My first cook will most likely be a brisket that I'm giving as payment to my girlfriend's brother for helping me unload this beast off the back of a truck.

Beer advocate & bud - that's like saying water is the perfect session beer. Though I'll give it some credit, it's a million times better than Labatt Blue and Coors Light and probably even Molson Canadian, which are both huge sellers here. The first two I can't drink at all, they're just rank. My favorite brewery in the world, is Unibroue from Quebec, for its assortment of amazing beers. No one else does so many with such high quality anywhere, IMO. I wouldn't recommend any kind of welding or heavy equipment operation after a few of the higher ABV bottles.

If you're going to offer a lifetime warranty on something, you can get away with poor performance, but you can't stay afloat offering poor quality manufacturing/construction, that's for sure. I'd feel pretty confident in the performance of that cooker for its indented purpose and damn glad I didn't pay $2000+ for the privilege.

I dunno what I'm going to cook on it first. I have seasoned it inside and out already. I'm going to cold smoke 10 or 12 pounds of cheese on it tonight with my tube pellet smoker. My first cook will most likely be a brisket that I'm giving as payment to my girlfriend's brother for helping me unload this beast off the back of a truck.

Looks nice John congratulations, now where's the tutorial on cold smoking the cheese.

I dunno what I'm going to cook on it first. I have seasoned it inside and out already. I'm going to cold smoke 10 or 12 pounds of cheese on it tonight with my tube pellet smoker. My first cook will most likely be a brisket that I'm giving as payment to my girlfriend's brother for helping me unload this beast off the back of a truck.

Looks nice John congratulations, now where's the tutorial on cold smoking the cheese.

These are the best things going for producing cold smoke as far as I'm concerned:

http://www.amazenproducts.com/