1,050*F Porterhouse

The butcher called it a T-bone, but it looked like a Porterhouse to me. Out here at Cable Pines a Porterhouse is the undisputed King of the Grill! My Kamado Joe's dome thermometer was buried, and the IR read “HHH” on the GrillGrates, so that puts the pit temp at over 1,050*F. I like to sear ‘em hot & fast. No reverse searing out here.

post-3565-0-30051800-1383192236_thumb.jp

post-3565-0-03565100-1383192277_thumb.jp

post-3565-0-98219600-1383192282.jpg

That's a porterhouse and a t-bone - the difference is the size of the tenderloin piece however both are judged on an "at least scale" so this tells me that a porterhouse is a t-bone but a t-bone might or might not be a porterhouse.

Make sense?

Nice looking steak, I burned up my first kamado 10 years ago cooking steak after steak in the 1000+ range.  Yes, you can burn up a kamado.

That is a Porterhouse by USDA standards: T-bones have a filet with a minimum of 3/4" to 1 1/4" filet. Anything larger is a Porterhouse and anything less than 3/4" is a bone-in New York Strip.

I replaced about 25 gaskets over the years on BGE's doing high heat sears, but have yet to loose a gasket on a Kamado Joe in over three years. I did just change-out a set on my original Classic that had well over 650 cooks. I changed it now so I wouldn't have to deal with it over the winter, should they have blown.

Just out of curiosity, how do you "burn-up" a kamado philpom? 

Edited by andyscalzo

Just out of curiosity, how do you "burn-up" a kamado philpom? 

A kamado burning so hot that the top vent resembles a jet engine (sound included) with lines of people night after night waiting for the perfect steak to be put directly on their plate.  Eventually it will crumble.  I can still hear the howl....  That's how I burned up a kamado.  It's also how I earned the title of "Grill Master" but that's really a different story :)

What brand?...... Any warranty?  Mine are all covered for life, but I don't think I could burn one up if I tried. A while back I was burning maple syrup off my BigJOE's heat deflector and all of a sudden my pitt started shaking and I heard a noise I will never forget. The dome on my Joe was opening & closing an inch or so by itself, and the Kamado was actually moving and vibrating.  Flames were shooting out at least 2 feet high out of the top vent. It lasted a good 8 >10 seconds. I thought my gaskets would be shot, but they came through in perfect shape. I have had all three of mine up to 1,000+ degrees dozens of times. I'm not worried about the Kamados, but I'm expecting a dome thermometer to crap out eventually.  So far, so good!

Edited by andyscalzo

T -Bone , Porterhouse it all depends on where you and where the butcher was trained , in Europe ,Australia , New Zealand  thats a T bone .

A porterhouse , internationally it is called a club steak. In the US and Canada it is also known as New York strip, strip loin, shell steak In Australia and New Zealand  it is known as a porterhouse steak or boneless sirloin. from the short loin . Unlike the nearby tenderloin, the "Club" is a sizable muscle, allowing it to be cut into the larger portions.

When still attached to the bone, and with a piece of the tenderloin also included, the strip steak becomes a T-Bone or in the US or Canada a porterhouse the difference being that the Porterhouse has a larger portion of tenderloin included. The "club steak" may be sold with or without the bone. club steaks may be substituted for most recipes calling for T-bone and porterhouse steaks, and sometimes for fillet and rib eye steaks.

Confusing for me when a number for many years the  meat cuts I have used and ordered have different names ! 

Andy,

What do you attribute the longer gasket life to on the Joes? I have an egg, and the gasket is certainly the Achilles heel, or so I've read. When I have to replace it, I was thinking of going nomex or Rutland, but maybe I should get a KJ gasket instead?

Andy,

What do you attribute the longer gasket life to on the Joes? I have an egg, and the gasket is certainly the Achilles heel, or so I've read. When I have to replace it, I was thinking of going nomex or Rutland, but maybe I should get a KJ gasket instead?

I attribute it to the fact that Kamado Joe did their homework and developed a gasket that actually does what it  is suppose to do Nick. BGE had years to develop a decent gasket, but had no reason to. The greedy company feasted off of all the saps that were purchasing their replacement gaskets. They still are.  FWIW, I have melted my share of Nomex gaskets also. When I sold my 4 BGE's they were all equipped with Rutland gaskets.

A Kamado Joe gasket is too wide to use on a BGE. In 2011 KJ had some gaskets sized for BGE's that they shipped free to BGE owners through a facebook promotion. They were overwhelmed with requests and sent out thousands of them. I see posts on forums where BGE owners are still raving about how well their KJ gaskets are holding up. The Naked Whiz took a MAPP torch to both BGE's and KJ's gaskets. The BGE material shriveled up and the KJ material looked untouched.

What brand?...... Any warranty?  Mine are all covered for life, but I don't think I could burn one up if I tried. A while back I was burning maple syrup off my BigJOE's heat deflector and all of a sudden my pitt started shaking and I heard a noise I will never forget. The dome on my Joe was opening & closing an inch or so by itself, and the Kamado was actually moving and vibrating.  Flames were shooting out at least 2 feet high out of the top vent. It lasted a good 8 >10 seconds. I thought my gaskets would be shot, but they came through in perfect shape. I have had all three of mine up to 1,000+ degrees dozens of times. I'm not worried about the Kamados, but I'm expecting a dome thermometer to crap out eventually.  So far, so good!

No fear, it wasn't a Primo and yes there was a warranty.

There is a reason they say, "A product is only as good as it's warranty" - Having a lifetime warranty in no way implies it won't break, it just mean that when it breaks you have relief.  

As an employee of KamadoJoe are you saying officially that there is no limit to how hot you can go when it comes to warranty coverage and heat damage?  Is the warranty good in a commercial environment?

That is one heck of a story!  I bet that was a heck of an experience!  Glad you are OK.....   Huffing, puffing, popping, gasping like that could indicate a less than optimal ratio between the air intake and exhaust vents or restricted air inside.  I can't believe it was shaking and popping open WOW.

No fear, it wasn't a Primo and yes there was a warranty.

There is a reason they say, "A product is only as good as it's warranty" - Having a lifetime warranty in no way implies it won't break, it just mean that when it breaks you have relief.  

As an employee of KamadoJoe are you saying officially that there is no limit to how hot you can go when it comes to warranty coverage and heat damage?  Is the warranty good in a commercial environment?

That is one heck of a story!  I bet that was a heck of an experience!  Glad you are OK.....   Huffing, puffing, popping, gasping like that could indicate a less than optimal ratio between the air intake and exhaust vents or restricted air inside.  I can't believe it was shaking and popping open WOW.

It was one he77 of a rush to say the least philpom! I'm not an official employee of Kamado Joe , but I do some part-timework for them. In the 5 year history of the company I have never seen a Joe "burn-up", but if one did, it would be replaced, no questions asked. I have seen cracked fireboxes and rings, but they are just as likely to occur on a low & slow vs. a screaming hot sear.

Kamado Joe's warranty language concerning the ceramic components is pretty simple and straight forward: "Kamado Joe warrants that all ceramic parts used in this Kamado Joe grill and smoker are free of defects in material and workmanship for as long as the original purchaser owns the grill." There is no language in Kamado Joe's warranty which precludes them from covering use in a commercial environment. It would probably be just the opposite. Kamado Joe would no doubt expedite service to a costumer involved in a commercial application. That's just the way the company rolls. Their customer service is second to none.

I found it interesting you pointed out it wasn't a Primo that “burned-up”, but didn't post what brand it was. Did they replace it? I guess I don’t understand what  “burned-up” means.

Edited by andyscalzo

I don't have any first-hand experience with the KJ gaskets yet, but IMO, there's still some room for improvement with the design of the outer lip on most Kamado cookers. It would probably help the longevity of any gasket if the top and bottom halves of the Kamado had an overlapping/fitted lip similar to how it's done on the Komodo brand. That said, that kind of design requires tighter alignment tolerance between the two halves. It would never be possible on a BGE - I've never seen one where the top and bottom where precisely aligned. ;)

Anyway, warranty and terrific parts are big reasons I'm going KJ.