tmac3304

Did Not Last Long

Well I bought the bayou less than a month ago and have already returned it to Lowes for complete refund. Had a bunch of problems from the start. Bottom draft door was not sealed at all and the metal that is used is thinner than an actual soda can. Very lose and tried to tighten it up but never really could. The gasket fell off first cook. Replaced the gasket with a better one anyway. Worked fine for about a week and then thermometer broke. Started leaking a lot of smoke around it and never could get it to seal up. Everything started to immediately rust and was never cooked with out in the rain and was always covered when not in use. The cast iron was even rusting which im not even sure it was cast iron. So got it going as best I could and used it often. Used it for a few more weeks and started to notice my lid was way off. Tightened everything back up but still no luck. Continued to cook with it and did a double smoked ham. Finished the cook and went to burn off all the leftover crap in it. Got it up to 650 and left it there for 30 minutes shut the dampers and let it cool over night. Next morning came out to absolutely no charcoal left after 3/4 of a fresh bag was dumped in for about a 6 to 7 hour cook. Noticed the my lid would no longer close all the way and was ajar about 1/4 of an inch. Took the grill completely apart and tried again. Nothing would fix it though. Gave up and took it back. Don't know if the heat warped the "cast iron" or not but will absolutely never purchase another one as long as I live. Very disappointed in my purchase and with the product but the good news is is I now have permission to purchase an egg today!

Surprised by your experience! I thought that. Bayou's were considered a quality kamado...

With permission to buy a new Kamado, is it safe to assume that you have looked at Kamado Joe and Primo in addition to BGE? Always curious to know why a person picks one manufacturer over another...

Also for a "value oriented" purchaser look at the Vision Classic at Costco. Been totally happy with mine after just removing the lid shock adsorber. It comes assembled, is stainless, stand is stainless, grids are stainless and two level. Did have thermometer fog up but seen other brands same issue. Puts out lump no problem, really digging it. 

I looked at the Bayou Classic and said no way. It was loosely assembled and this confirms my assessment. Thanks for sharing and now go get that new grill!

I did not say any thing because I do not want to criticize or knock any thing that people have and love--but i was not impressed with the Bayou when i looked at at Lowe's. IMO the Kamado Joe and the Primo are much better quality construction and the BGE is OK also. Hey If some one has one and likes it then it is all good.

Not to hijack the thread, BUT, Dirkdaddy, did you experience any negatives after removing the shock?  I've got a Vision Pro S that I've replaced gaskets w/ Nomex and made necessary adjustments.  The shock just seemed to get in the way of readjustment and, from the beginning, seemed unnecessary--I can lower the lid gently on my own.

Rwalters, Yeah I checked out all of them. I really like Kamado Joe and was initially wanting to go that route but its more difficult to get here in my location. As far as the primo goes, I know they are great kamados, I just don't like the looks that much. I went with the BGE because of they are accessible and have used one before. My pops has had his for almost 3 years now so I followed suit.

I checked out the Bayou Classic while at Lowe's a week ago, just to see what it was about, and didn't like it at all. I wish that Lowe's would get with the program and start carrying some better stuff. The Akorn and Webers are good but they could really step it up a bit and get something like BGE, KJ, Vision, Primo, any of those in there and probably sell a good deal of them. I asked the manager at my local store why they didn't carry the Akorn in that store and he didn't even know what it was... He said corporate does marketing studies for the area and does product placement from that... I had to go 30 miles to the next store to get my Akorn... don't tell me the market varies that much in as little a distance. I'd love to be able to get a fine cooker at a lower price that someone like Lowe's could most likely offer. Any dealer in the ceramics here is charging full blown retail, I paid less for my Akorn than a BGE Jr would cost me!

What is this "shock absorber" y'all are talking about? I didn't notice anything on my Vision. I'm sure you aren't talking about the felt ring are you? Maybe mine just didn't come with whatevery you are referring to.

I checked out the Bayou Classic while at Lowe's a week ago, just to see what it was about, and didn't like it at all. I wish that Lowe's would get with the program and start carrying some better stuff. The Akorn and Webers are good but they could really step it up a bit and get something like BGE, KJ, Vision, Primo, any of those in there and probably sell a good deal of them. I asked the manager at my local store why they didn't carry the Akorn in that store and he didn't even know what it was... He said corporate does marketing studies for the area and does product placement from that... I had to go 30 miles to the next store to get my Akorn... don't tell me the market varies that much in as little a distance. I'd love to be able to get a fine cooker at a lower price that someone like Lowe's could most likely offer. Any dealer in the ceramics here is charging full blown retail, I paid less for my Akorn than a BGE Jr would cost me!

I had to go on line to order my AKORN and have it delivered to the local Lowe's . Several of the staff were reading the box and saying wow this looks great. They had never seen one before.

What is this "shock absorber" y'all are talking about? I didn't notice anything on my Vision. I'm sure you aren't talking about the felt ring are you? Maybe mine just didn't come with whatevery you are referring to.

There is a metal post in the front that is sring loaded to slow down the lid as it closes and soften the impact of the lid when it makes contact with the bottom half of the Kamado.

92d8be3f-9ea0-455b-836e-7398f89845c9_100

Not to hijack the thread, BUT, Dirkdaddy, did you experience any negatives after removing the shock?  I've got a Vision Pro S that I've replaced gaskets w/ Nomex and made necessary adjustments.  The shock just seemed to get in the way of readjustment and, from the beginning, seemed unnecessary--I can lower the lid gently on my own.

Yes, agree its more of a "hey look what gizmo we added" sort of thing and not needed if you are not a moron with the lid and have some normal arm strength. BGE and others don't use it. I thought it was a great idea but then was having trouble with lump seeming to burn after closing it up, did the dollar bill test and found the shock was holding the lid ever-so-slightly open with weight on it instead of the felt. So off it came, now weight is on the felt and it seals GREAT. Also my original shock the pin stuck down somehow and it wasn't working. Vision sent a new one but I am not sure I'm using it anytime soon.

I checked out the Bayou Classic while at Lowe's a week ago, just to see what it was about, and didn't like it at all. I wish that Lowe's would get with the program and start carrying some better stuff. 

Yes, I live in a upscale-ish fast growing suburb of Houston directly south of the Med Center, worlds largest and best (probably) and like a small city in itself. So we have a lot of well paid medical folks, as well as tons of Oil companies and supporting companies employing, so there is money. But like you, I go into stores and see the cheapest possible crap and no selection. My kids play soccer and I can't even get decent gloves at any of the stores (2 sports stores, target/wally/etc), absolutely no goal keeper stuff, same for many things. But we can drive 18 miles to the Galleria area west Houston where you can get about anything, not like I'm without options, but wonder about the corporate stratigies. And Home Depot built a "Jr." sized store - super horrible idea by idiot managers. So you go there and look for stuff and typically they either don't carry it, or they are out of stock. Then you have to waste more time and drive to a huge Lowes which is 3x further away. Ok, I'm done ranting.

I looked at the Bayou Classic and said no way. It was loosely assembled and this confirms my assessment. Thanks for sharing and now go get that new grill!

You're in Houston, try ordering the Costco Vision, its stainless which here is key as that mild steel stuff on many of the others like BC will rust right away - bad investment!

I ended up with the KJClassic with no regrets. The ACE Hardware by my house used to carry the Vision along with BGE before they got KJs and he had steered me away from Vision.