Did Not Last Long

tmac3304

I checked out the Bayou Classic while at Lowe's a week ago, just to see what it was about, and didn't like it at all. I wish that Lowe's would get with the program and start carrying some better stuff. 

Yes, I live in a upscale-ish fast growing suburb of Houston directly south of the Med Center, worlds largest and best (probably) and like a small city in itself. So we have a lot of well paid medical folks, as well as tons of Oil companies and supporting companies employing, so there is money. But like you, I go into stores and see the cheapest possible crap and no selection. My kids play soccer and I can't even get decent gloves at any of the stores (2 sports stores, target/wally/etc), absolutely no goal keeper stuff, same for many things. But we can drive 18 miles to the Galleria area west Houston where you can get about anything, not like I'm without options, but wonder about the corporate stratigies. And Home Depot built a "Jr." sized store - super horrible idea by idiot managers. So you go there and look for stuff and typically they either don't carry it, or they are out of stock. Then you have to waste more time and drive to a huge Lowes which is 3x further away. Ok, I'm done ranting.

I live in Westchester county just North of NYC. It is a very wealthy area of the country and many things are just not available or of very poor quality. It used to be the Sears catalog was full of quality goods and priced cheaper by mail and then the catalog was

way back when-- used in the out house. Now we have Amazon with a warehouse full of robots and free shipping over $35. I have wasted  a lot of time and gas and still ended up having to go to Amazon.

There are local dealers for Primo but they want top dollar and would charge above retail if they could. Another dealer carries BGE and Kamado Joe and is willing to discount off of retail . He had the Big Joe for $1000 in the beginning of the season.

I wish stores would just stop jamming the shelves with stuff they think consumers need and put the stuff on the shelf I want! That's it, bottom line. Give me quality, at a fair price, and don't make me jump through hoops to get it. Pretty simple formula for success I think.  For a lower priced Kamado, I am supremely pleased with the Akorn. There was one sitting next to the Bayou Classic when I was at Lowes and I would have never spent the extra couple hundred for BC over the Char-Griller. The Akorn is a perfect example of what I, as a consumer, want. It's too bad that these marketing Pinheads (sorry if that is any of you) don't get that and still try to push crap out the door by making it the only thing available in the store.

• 3 weeks later...

I got a bayou classic and had lowes deliver an unassembled one. The lowes assembled ones are just slapped together without any thought. And even if u have them assemble a brand new one out of the crate they still will not do a good job. So, I put it together myself and have not had a any problems whatsoever. Yes I did have to adjust a few things like the lower slide gate and I did put a felt gasket on the upper damper where the collar sits on the ceramic, however, so far I have used it since last march nonstop and it's held together quite nicely.

I got a bayou classic and had lowes deliver an unassembled one. The lowes assembled ones are just slapped together without any thought. And even if u have them assemble a brand new one out of the crate they still will not do a good job. So, I put it together myself and have not had a any problems whatsoever. Yes I did have to adjust a few things like the lower slide gate and I did put a felt gasket on the upper damper where the collar sits on the ceramic, however, so far I have used it since last march nonstop and it's held together quite nicely.

Correction last May

• 4 months later...

I ordered mine off of Amazon and had it delivered partially assembled (the stand was not delivered, but the lid/bowl were put together). It was heavy enough that to get it out of the crate and into the cradle, I would up removing the lid and reassembling it anyway. 

I did read reviews that said it leaked around the thermometer and the base of the metal cap, so sealed those up with a little high temp silicone. 

So far (again, only owned it for a week, so I'll be able to speak more authoritatively to it later), it's held up well. The charcoal smothers nicely when I'm done and close everything down and I have plenty left over for my next cook. 

I'm very happy with mine so far. 

• 7 months later...

Just got back from a Lowes alittle over an hour away getting something else. While there I saw an Akorn 299 and a

Bayou Classic Ceramic Cypress Leaf Charcoal Grill for 399.

1. So is the cooking area the same between them?

2. I assume the Bayou is worth the extra 100 compared to the Akorn.

3. Since this is the same price as Sams Vision "M" whch would be better?

I would be all over that Cyprus kamado for $399, if I were you. I've checked them at my local Lowe's and its a gorgeous kamado, seems quite solid. The only negatives I've read about them are that their fireboxes are prone to cracking, which isn't a major thing. Kamados can function for several years with a cracked fire box, and hopefully Cyrus is offering a 20 year or better warranty on their ceramics. Hopefully Cyprus has fixed this issue. Good luck, and, yes, I would say a ceramic is certain worth the extra $100 over the Akorn. No offense to Akorn aficionados, but most folks here who own both will attest that a ceramic will keep and maintain temps over a metal grill.

The Vision M is a smaller grill than the Cyprus. The cooking area of the akorn and the Cyprus are fairly similar, but the Vision M is about the size of a medium Big Green Egg.

When I looked at the Cypress at Lowe's they wanted just under a $1,000. Even knowing in the past the fireboxes cracked I would have snapped one up at $400.

All ceramic kamados from the high volume manufacturers (BGE, KJ, Primo, Vision, Cypress) have cracked firebox issues.

You really can't take that into your decision. The real factor is how each company handles a warranty claim if your firebox cracks.

• 2 months later...

I checked out the Bayou Classic while at Lowe's a week ago, just to see what it was about, and didn't like it at all. I wish that Lowe's would get with the program and start carrying some better stuff. 

Yes, I live in a upscale-ish fast growing suburb of Houston directly south of the Med Center, worlds largest and best (probably) and like a small city in itself. So we have a lot of well paid medical folks, as well as tons of Oil companies and supporting companies employing, so there is money. But like you, I go into stores and see the cheapest possible crap and no selection. My kids play soccer and I can't even get decent gloves at any of the stores (2 sports stores, target/wally/etc), absolutely no goal keeper stuff, same for many things. But we can drive 18 miles to the Galleria area west Houston where you can get about anything, not like I'm without options, but wonder about the corporate stratigies. And Home Depot built a "Jr." sized store - super horrible idea by idiot managers. So you go there and look for stuff and typically they either don't carry it, or they are out of stock. Then you have to waste more time and drive to a huge Lowes which is 3x further away. Ok, I'm done ranting.

if i could double like yer post i would