Smoked Salmon is a show stopper on any dinner table when it's perfectly cooked.  In this video, I decided to smoke a 1 3/4 pound filet.  I also wanted to brine and glaze it so I started looking around for ideas.  I also wanted to incorporate some Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey into the recipe.  The recipe I used in this video is based on one I found in the book "Slow Fire" by Ray "Dr. BBQ" Lampe.

Brine:

3/4 cup cold water
1/4 cup Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey
2 tbsp kosher salt
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon

Marinate a 1.5 to 2 pound filet in this brine for one hour while your grill is warming up to 250 degrees.

When the brine is complete, drain the brine and pat the fish dry.  Dust both sides with paprika and put it on the smoker at 250 degrees with your choice of medium to light intensity smoking wood (I used apple.)  

Mix up your glaze:

3 tbsp honey
1 tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice
zest of one orange
1 teaspoon Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey

When the fish is about ready (30 minutes or so), brush the glaze on the top of the salmon and remove it from the grill....

Dig in!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey John, we are heading out of town to my brothers place for thanksgiving. My wife reminded me that we should bring something so i thought this smoked salmon would be a good appetizer. I purchased the 'tennessee honey' yesterday and my neighbor and i decided we needed to sample that ingredient last night. It took some discipline but we managed to save enough for the salmon recipe.

I did up the salmon this morning and it turned out awsome. My family is pretty much meat and potatos so smoked salmon is a bit on the adventurous side. But with the honey and citrus flavors, i cant see anyone walking away from it after one bite. Its chilled and ready for the trip. Thanks for the recipe!

• 2 weeks later...

John, just want to say thanks for sharing this recipe. Cooked 6 lb of salmon last night for a dinner party and nobody wanted to touch the Pork because the salmon was so good. This was the best salmon dish I ever made. One thing different I did though was cook the salmon on cedar planks. 

Excellent :)  

• 4 months later...

Made this last night on my Akorn. I had Wild Turkey American Honey and mandarin instead of orange. Manuka wood chips on charcoal. The fishmonger didn't have whole fillets so I got three solid pieces at around 1 1/2" thick, 1 1/2 pounds. 

Yum, delicious. 

We have always been salmon fans and this will become our staple for smoked salmon. 

Thank you for a great recipe and instructional video. 

• 6 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I made this tonight. My wife says this is the best thing I've cooked on the Joe and even though I don't like salmon that much, smoking it and that glaze made it DELICIOUS. Since it's good for you, it's now part of our regular rotation. 

BTW, made it with clementine juice and zest because that's what we had and it was maybe better than even an orange--just that one notch sweeter. 

John, thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By philpom
      "Pickled" Dill Bread

1 cup of water + 1 tbs
      1/3 cup of white vinegar
      4 cups of all purpose flour
      1/4 cup of potato flakes
      4 1/2 tbs white sugar
      2 1/2 tbs powder milk
      2 tsp kosher salt
      3 tbs butter
      4 tsp instant dry yeast
      1 heaping tbs dill seed.

Combine according to your bread machine instructions. Mine says add fluid, flour, other - being certain the yeast does not come in contact with any water.

Use the knead/dough only quick cycle. Once the cycle is completed remove the dough ball and form a "log" blob. Have a pre-warmed pizza stone ready with a heating pad underneath set to high to keep it warm. The stone should be a gentle warm and not hot. Place a large clear bowl over the dough and allow an additional 1 to 1 1/2 hours to rise. I put some cornmeal on the stone to help prevent sticking.

Place in the kamado preheated to 350 degrees setup for indirect cooking and bake for about 50 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when you tap on it.

Cut and serve - be sure to try it still warm with butter!

Look at this topic for some picture of what it might look like:
      viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2819
    • By CentralTexBBQ
      King Crab, Smoked Salmon, Lobster, Lobster Tail, Shrimp (grilled and pan seared), Sweet Corn and Red Potato

A very bad pic ofspicy shrimp...

• By Lydia
      Scampi (Langoustines) in White Wine and Tomato Sauce with Pita Bread a.k.a Skampi na Buzaru if you're on the Adriatic Coast of Croatia 

If these sweet and tender little morsels of loveliness from the sea were as sustainable, prolific and cheap as they are on the West Coast of Scotland, I'd be eating these guys at least twice a week!!  We are lucky enough here in Australia that they also live in Western Australian waters, so I was able to get my little hands on some Aussie ones through my local fish monger.  I'm a little bit jealous that @KamadoJosephine can probably take a leisurely stroll down to the local fish market and pick them up as catch of the day fresh off the boat .  

If you travelled to the Adriatic  coast of Croatia and didn't stumble upon this dish in it's various forms with either scampi, octopus, mussels etc., you'd have to have been hiding in a box to not have come across it.... but I have to say that these little scampi are next level!  They are also known as Norway Lobster or even Dublin Bay prawn.   You could make this with shrimp or any other seafood... the last time I made this, I served the leftover sauce with pan-fried fish fillets and my husband really raved on about how good it was... however it is all the ingredients, including the scampi heads that really make this sauce.

It would be a crime to serve the sauce without something to mop it up, so I made some fluffy / chewy pita bread to serve with it.

I started with getting the Pita Bread doing it's thing:

1. Put the milk and hot water in a jug and leave for 10 mins (which should be enough to get it to room temp)
      2. add the sugar and yeast and mix to combine
      3. leave until it gets frothy (around 5-10 mins)
      4. put the flour, salt and thyme in a bowl
      5. once the liquid mixture is frothy, add it to dry ingredients and mix through using your fingers
      6. transfer to lightly floured surface and knead for approx 5 mins until nice and smooth
      7. transfer to lightly oiled bowl and cover with clean tea towel and leave for about an hour, until doubled in size
      8. when you're ready, cut into six pieces
      9. oil your work surface with some olive oil and roll each one out as the prior one cooks in a heavy based fry pan with a bit of oil on it, for a couple of minutes each side
      10. as they're cooked, I placed them in a cozy clean tea towel to keep them warm

White Wine, Seafood Sugo

A few of the heads from the smallest Scampi
      small brown onion, finely diced
      4 smallish or two large garlic cloves finely chopped
      1 can san Marzano tomatoes (pureed)
      1 cup white wine (I used a nice Chardonnay from Western Australia to go with the WA scampi) 
      fresh parsley, finely chopped
      olive oil
      salt and pepper
      some day old breadcrumbs ( a couple of tablespoons if necessary)

1. drizzle a bit of olive oil on the scampi heads and place in a medium oven to roast and enhance their flavour
      2. place some olive oil in a heavy based pan and cook off the onion until nicely translucent
      3. add the garlic and cook off until fragrant but not coloured
      4. place the roasted heads in the pan and add the white wine
      5. cook off the smell of the wine for a couple of minutes
      6. add the tomatoes
      7. simmer for 5 mins or so, until you can see the sauce is now cohesive ie. foamy bubbles from the tomato have disappeared
      8. if it's too runny, you can add the breadcrumbs to thicken
      9. if it becomes too thick, you can add some water to loosen it up.

Scampi

I kg scampi
      1 lemon rind
      juice 1/4 lemon
      1/4  cup olive oil

In Croatia, they would have cooked these whole in the sauce but that wouldn't have allowed me to get the kamado involved! 

Basically, I cut them down the length of their bodies, to get two nice flat sides for placing on the kamado

I brushed them with the olive oil/lemon mixture and cooked them on a 220C/450F kamado for really only a couple of mins per side. They're so delicate that I was very afraid of overcooking them!!

I nestled the cooked scampi in the sauce, sprinkled with the parsley and served with pita bread and a glass each of lovely Chardonnay wine of the side. Hubby and I enjoyed sharing this meal straight from the serving dish.  

• By DerHusker
      I had a hankering for some "Wings and Thangs" so I searched the internet for a good appetizer to go with wings.  I came up with one from “Tasty” on YouTube.

I started out with the potato skins as they took the longest. Here are the ingredients:

4 medium large (or 8 smaller) Russet potatoes. Prick w/ fork and bake for 60 minutes at 400 degrees.

Let then cool and cut in half.

Scoop out most of the potato flesh leaving approximately 1/4".

Place them on a baking rack (flesh side up) and coat the flesh with some OO and bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees. (Flip after 10)

While they are baking put the flesh of 2 scooped out potatoes into a bowl, add the following and then mix well:
      1/2 cup grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
      1/2 cup grated Mozzarella Cheese
      6 oz. of softened Cream Cheese
      2 cups shredded chicken
      1 packet of Ranch Seasoning. (2 tbsp.’s)
      1/2 cup Hot Sauce

Mix well.

Take the potato skins and fill with the potato and chicken mixture.

Top with more grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese and bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees. (Drizzle with some ranch dressing and some diced green onion and serve)

For the wings I used a recipe from Chef John on Food Wishes. Here are the ingredients:

Honey Sriracha Chicken Wings

Ingredients for 4 portions:
      2 1/2 pounds chicken wing sections (I had 1 ¼ lbs. so I cut these amounts in half)
      1 tbsp kosher salt
      1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
      1 tsp smoked paprika
      2 tbsp baking powder (aluminum free)
      - Coat wings, and bake at 425 F., turning every 15-20 minutes, until they are browned and crispy. Total cooking time will be about 1 hour, but that depends on the size and temperature of your wings.

On the kamado at 400.

After 15 minutes I flipped them.

While they were cooking I made up the glaze. Here are the ingredients:
      For the Honey Sriracha glaze: (I cut these amounts in half)
      1/3 cup honey
      1/3 cup Sriracha
      1 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
      1/4 tsp sesame oil
      sesame seeds to garnish

Here they are ready to be glazed.

Here they are plated up with some ranch dressing, carrots, celery and a Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin.

Close up of the wings.

Close up of the Buffalo Chicken Potato Skins.

Wings had some nice heat and sweetness to them and the skin was fairly crispy too.

And done!

Yum!

Thanks for looking.
    • By DerHusker
      Chicken is my wife’s flavor and I like to mix it up so I went with a Shawarma feast. Started out with some chicken thighs that were on sale.

Shinned and deboned and cut them in half.

Bones were saved for making stock at a later time.

Next I made up a yogurt based shawarma marinade. Here are the ingredients:
      1 cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt
      5 cloves of garlic
      ¼ cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
      ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar
      2 tbsp. of olive oil
      2 tbsp. of ketchup
      1 teaspoon cloves
      1 teaspoon salt
      1 teaspoon paprika
      ½ teaspoon cumin
      ½ teaspoon caraway (ground fennel)
      ½ teaspoon cardamon
      ½ teaspoon of oregano or thyme
      ½ teaspoon cinnamon
      ½ teaspoon nutmeg
      ½ teaspoon crushed peppercorn
      ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
      ¼ teaspoon ground ginger

Everybody in the pool

and then thoroughly mixed.

The thighs now went into pool for a nice long rest.

Next I made up some Tzatziki. Here are the ingredients: (From Chef John on FoodWishes.com)
      2 cups Greek yogurt
      1 large cucumber, peeled, grated, tossed with 1/2 teaspoon of salt
      4 cloves garlic, very finely minced
      juice of half a lemon or vinegar to taste
      3 tbsp. chopped fresh dill and/or mint
      salt, pepper, to taste

Next up was the Hummus ingredients.
      One 15-ounce can (425 grams) chickpeas, also called garbanzo beans
      1/4 cup (59 ml) fresh lemon juice, about 1 large lemon
      1/4 cup (59 ml) tahini (we used Krinos)
      Half of a large garlic clove, minced
      2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for serving
      1/2 to 1 teaspoon kosher salt, depending on taste
      1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
      2 to 3 tablespoons water
      Dash of ground paprika for serving

Then some Persian Rice (From Bosco)

2 cups of basmati rice
      3 ½ cups of chicken stock/broth
      2 tbsp of butter
      ½ tsp turmeric
      ¼ tsp cumin
      Kosher salt and pepper

And finally a Mediterranean Tomato Salad.

Now I can cook the Shawarma. Broke out my good skewers. (Closest I can come to a Shawarma rotisserie) I used two so I could better control them on the grill.

Now I tightened up the stops to help keep in the marinade and juices

and placed them on the grill.

Flipped them after 5 to 6 minutes.

Here is everything plated up family style with some cucumber slices, baby pickles, pita bread and a Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin IPA.

So Good! My wife loved everything and said it was the better that anything she’s ever ordered at a restaurant.
      Thanks for looking.