Any Primo XL owners out there using an Auber PID? I just ordered the Auber adaptor plate to fit the Primo XL as I had previously purchased the Auber model for the Akorn which did not come with an adaptor plate.  The Auber adaptor plate that fits the Primo XL is the adaptor plate that fits the Large Big Green Egg (not the adaptor plate that fits the XL Big Green Egg), based on the Primo XL bottom vent being about 3 inches in height.  Auber sent me the adaptor plate for the cost of shipping only, so that was cool on their part (although the adaptor plate only costs $3.50 before shipping).  Their customer service is very prompt.

Anyway, if you have used the Auber PID with your Primo XL, did you change any of the Auber settings, and if so, what setting worked best for you?  I am going to experiment over the next week or two so I have the unit purring by Thanksgiving, but I wanted to benefit from any of your insight before I start experimenting.  I understand that the Primo XL is easy to control (I have not yet had a chance to use my Primo XL), but since I already have the Auber PID, I might as well use the Auber for those long cooks.  Thanks. 

Your comment that the Primo is easy to control says it all for me.  I've been cooking on my XL for more than 7 months now, everything from 180 to 650, 4 or 5 times per week, and never felt the need for a temp controller.  I did replace a melted gasket with Nomex, my fault, not the kamados,

The other evening, I did thick pork chops reverse sear (see my post on this), and parked the XL @ 180 for the entire pre-sear cook.  I think I could have held 180 for 36 hours without chasing temperatures.

I have a Party Q, and use it from time to time on my Vision, but since replacing the Vision gasket with Nomex, honestly I use the Party Q just to justify the money I spent on it.

So, and this is just one person's opinion, and in view of the fact that you have yet to cook on the Primo, I would suggest that you learn to hit and hold temps without a controller.  It's more fun (especially if you spend an afternoon with a six pack) learning how to hit and hold 225, 275, 325, 375, etc. And you will have the benefit of knowing the individual characteristics of your Primo.

Have fun, whichever way you decide to cook.

I can see the lure of a new gadget but when cooking on my Primo XL the temp is so easy to hit and hold I really don't feel a need.  I have done plenty of overnight cooks and each time I go out, drink a cup of coffee and find it moving right along just fine.

I think I said it before here....  It seems to read my mind.

• 2 weeks later...

I have officially tested my Auber on the Primo XL and I'm happy to report that it is holding steady at 275°, my set temperature, after four hours. It varied between 271° and 275° during the four hour period. I connected the Auber to the grill as soon as I put the charcoal in and the initial reading was 55°. It took about 30 minutes to get up to 275° and there was zero overshoot. The fire box is full and both D plates are in. Top vent setting is shown below. The dome thermometer reads about 25° cooler than the temperature reading at the grate. I am using the same Auber settings that I developed using the auto tune feature on my Akorn. These settings (which I detailed in another post on this forum) seem to work well for the Primo XL as well.

y9apu5ep.jpghe4udenu.jpg3a3ezuny.jpgu9yqydyr.jpg

Archived