Vision Classic and the Kamado Joe Heat Deflector

tconroymqs

I'm looking for user experience.

So far I've used the KJ rack to raise the lower grate  to cook with direct heat and like the results - other than the fact that you need to watch for the grate sliding on the KJ supports.

I used the heat deflector once in the lower position to cook a chicken breast with bone in on the main grate at a 

temp of 325. Removed at internal temp of 160 and it was the juiciest breast I have ever cooked, but it took close 

to an hour to cook.

With the gap between the deflector and firewall only 1/2 inch I wonder if other Vision users (or, for that matter, KJ users) think the gap using the 15 inch deflector is large enough.

Thanx for your comments.

I'm looking for user experience.

So far I've used the KJ rack to raise the lower grate  to cook with direct heat and like the results - other than the fact that you need to watch for the grate sliding on the KJ supports.

I used the heat deflector once in the lower position to cook a chicken breast with bone in on the main grate at a 

temp of 325. Removed at internal temp of 160 and it was the juiciest breast I have ever cooked, but it took close 

to an hour to cook.

With the gap between the deflector and firewall only 1/2 inch I wonder if other Vision users (or, for that matter, KJ users) think the gap using the 15 inch deflector is large enough.

Thanx for your comments.

I have been using the KJ heat deflector in my vision for quite a while for both high heat pizza cooks and low and slow cooks and it works perfectly. Search my posts for many pics and suggestions. It works!

I've been using it for a while too. It works great for everything and if you get to much grease on it Israel get your grill up to 600-700 degrees and it's like a self cleaning oven. The stone will be good as new. Really iI've abused the he'll out of mine and it's as good as new. 

As you can see from the photo below, the KJ heat deflector has a gap of about a half inch when used on a KJ Classic, as well. Apparently this is sufficient, as folks who use it swear by the results. It may take a little getting used to when setting of your cook, as the guy who posted this pic voiced his concern about air flow, as well.

IMG_4483.jpg

In my humble opinion that would be good for some things, but not good for the majority of stuff, not enough flow. 

I use a CGS spider that hangs down and a 13" iron skillet with handle sawed off to do heat deflector. Its heavy duty and can catch liquids, cost < $15 

I think you are supposed to get a 14" but I ordered the wrong one. It has nearly 1"+ space around the edge. You can also use the spider to support a Wok which I have not done yet but would seem totally awesome - high heat and outside!

The gap has more square inches of open surface area than the top vent has. Thus the top vent controls the air flow exit. If I did the math correctly the surface area of the 15" stone is 176.75 sq. inches & the surface area of the 15.5" bowl is 188.6 sq. inches. 188.6 - 176.75 = 11.85 sq. inches of a ½" gap space.

Thanx again for the replies.

I did a second split chicken breast with bone in at 325 degrees. Pulled at 160 IT and the result was amazing moisture, juice and texture. It took close to one hour whereas a split breast without deflector takes about 30 minutes with similar but not quite as spectacular results.

The fire was burning from the inner circle outwards. Not sure it would have continued to the outer edge of the bowl.

OK so you say it works great - interesting. I would have thought the middle might be starved for air, but if it works great. My cast iron is sort of the opposite, has a lot of room about the outside, which has worked well for things I put in the center like beer can chicken, turkeys, pork sirloin tip, etc. Fire control is probably a more important than the style of diverter. If it works really good I may have to look at one. The Vision one was totally weak looking. 

The smaller the fire you have to build, the less oxygen you need to feed that fire, and the less air flow you have to introduce into the firebox which could dry out your food. The bottom vent controls the input of the oxygen rich cold air while your top vent will control the outflow of the heated air. The volume of air in will equal airflow out.  A deflector that is 15.25" will have a surface area for air outflow of 4". That would equal the bottom vent opening of 2" x 2". It looks like the 15" deflector ( 11.85 sq." of airflow out ) will give you optimum surface area without restricting the airflow in at the bottom vent.