Classic Top Stainless Vent Won't Open/Close

Mac S

I have a Classic and been using it alot since I've gotten it this past summer.  This weekend, after doing two pork butts (Thrus) followed by a 12# brisket (Fri), the top Stainless steel vent would not open or close any more.  I suspect the smoke has built up and when it cooled it seal the vent in position.  (it worked fine while smoking) It is so stuck that when I remove it, I've tried to move it removed from the grill and it wont budge.   There is a build up of smoke on the stainless but didn't think that would stick it so tight.

Does anyone have a suggestion on to unfreezing this?  I'm soaking it now to see if it loosens but wanted see if others have had this problem?  Maybe Customer Service tomorrow.

Do you know if they have a cast iron top that can be acquired?

Thanks in advance...

After you get it clean, the next after a cook & while it is still warm wipe the outside & inside of the vent w/ a damp cloth or cleaning wipes. This will help keep the smoke tars from building up on the vent. 

I have not used mine a ton yet, but so far I really like the stainless cap more than a cast iron. The accumulation on mine makes it seal up really nice. I guess I'll have to watch it for getting too stiff. 

Hot water can do a lot. Don't use bleach it eats up stainless. 

There was a thread a while back by a fellow looking for a cast iron vent cap. If I remember right, they were out of stock. Maybe they are available now.

Not sure, back in July I was put on a list of people wanting to order but as of today I have not received an email when I can order. It wouldn't be a bad to get on the list as well. In the mean time I will keep cleaning the SS one.

• 3 months later...