To Cover or Not to Cover?

4RD

When I bought my KJ ClassicJoe in September I purchased a cover as well to protect it from the elements here in Texas. Today after not cooking for 10 days I decided to do some burgers so I took off the cover. In the last ten days we have had numerous showers and the temperature have been cool in the evenings mid 50s to high 40s and the day temperatures have been pretty mild low 70s to low 80s. Upon opening the grill the first I noticed was that the interior of the grill was warmer than the ambient temperature outside. After getting the fire started, I closed the grill and adjusted the vents only to notice some rust on the vent and some fogging of the thermometer, the same thermometer I just replaced two weeks ago. Attached are some pictures.

Rust on vent

10789183536_3a403302c9_z.jpg

Foggy Thermometer

10789190606_0ba3f82a7c_z.jpg

It appears to me that the cover doesn't breath too well and it kept the moisture under the cover hence the rust on the vent and the condensation in the gauge. In looking at the grill it seems the main part you are protecting are the side tables and the wooden handle. I am beginning to wonder whether it would be best to stop using the cover and just take the tables off when not in use and put a booty over the handle and call it good. My thinking is that the dome and base shouldn't break down with the uv rays and the vent and the bands would at the worst would fade a little bit? Or should i keep the using the cover and just keep oiling the vent occasionally? With regards to the thermometer I know I will just have to live with it but I am second guessing myself in not going with the stainless steel option..

Any feedback on the above would be appreciated

Thanks

Tom

My grill and location are different but I think pretty humid. I paint the exterior rust spots which pop up on all bolts rivets and seams. Your vent, I guess I would oil or maybe cooking spray, and cook something about 500F to season the vent, or keep it wet with oil. And cover, and grill often enough to air it out.

My gauge is foggy but I can still read it, so I let it go. Not like I can trust it anyway.

Maybe the pool is Really close? Can you smell chlorine?

First things first, the top vent is cast iron, you need to oil it /season it.  just use some vegetable oil. that will fix it  (I only oiled my once - I used 3in1, was then told different).   occasionally I re-oil the stand. I don't think that can be avoided.

I've had the same problem with my thermometer.  I contacted Joe via their website.  they said they would send me a new one but I had to pay shipping...lame.  sounds like a defect in it. 

the cover definitely doesn't breath well.  here in MO, it can be quite humid in the summer.  I was growing a good bit of mold on a few locations, however I use the cover to keep UV rays off the wood sides, too.  I think it might have grown mold anyway.  I don't see why you couldn't just boot the parts you want.  I don't see the outside breaking down anytime soon.

I recently went to a propane/ BGE dealer. They had built a outdoor kitchen in the back--- granite topped island-- stainless doors ETC. I have no idea how long it has been there but with direct exposure to the weather---well it looked pretty weathered.

When I bought my KJ ClassicJoe in September I purchased a cover as well to protect it from the elements here in Texas. Today after not cooking for 10 days I decided to do some burgers so I took off the cover. In the last ten days we have had numerous showers and the temperature have been cool in the evenings mid 50s to high 40s and the day temperatures have been pretty mild low 70s to low 80s. Upon opening the grill the first I noticed was that the interior of the grill was warmer than the ambient temperature outside. After getting the fire started, I closed the grill and adjusted the vents only to notice some rust on the vent and some fogging of the thermometer, the same thermometer I just replaced two weeks ago. Attached are some pictures.

Rust on vent

10789183536_3a403302c9_z.jpg

Foggy Thermometer

10789190606_0ba3f82a7c_z.jpg

It appears to me that the cover doesn't breath too well and it kept the moisture under the cover hence the rust on the vent and the condensation in the gauge. In looking at the grill it seems the main part you are protecting are the side tables and the wooden handle. I am beginning to wonder whether it would be best to stop using the cover and just take the tables off when not in use and put a booty over the handle and call it good. My thinking is that the dome and base shouldn't break down with the uv rays and the vent and the bands would at the worst would fade a little bit? Or should i keep the using the cover and just keep oiling the vent occasionally? With regards to the thermometer I know I will just have to live with it but I am second guessing myself in not going with the stainless steel option..

Any feedback on the above would be appreciated

Thanks

Tom

Here is some discussion on the thermometer condensation:  

http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/6954-dome-thermometer-condensationagain/page-2