John Setzler

Smoked Turkey on the Kamado Joe

8 posts in this topic

Nice cook, John! The bird looks great. I'm quite interested in the vent technique u mentioned. I'm going to have to try that myself.

John Setzler likes this

Could you elaborate a bit on the warning you made regarding the temperature probe. I couldn't find the side note on YouTube but it may be cuz I'm viewing from an iPhone.

John Setzler likes this

Could you elaborate a bit on the warning you made regarding the temperature probe. I couldn't find the side note on YouTube but it may be cuz I'm viewing from an iPhone.

I have had several instances when cooking at 350 and above with a maverick probe where the probe reads higher than actual temperature after a while. I think the higher temperature causes the probe to get hot enough that it radiates heat down the probe causing it to read higher than actual temp.  It's more of a problem in the 375 and up range but I have had the problem multiple times with two different probes cooking in that temp range.

Nice looking bird.I noticed that you didn't use a drip pan,any reason for that?

I wasn't planning to make a gravy from the drippings.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Kamado Al
      This here is how I do- nothing fancy here just center cut poke chops- reverse seared, a couple of ears of corn and some red potatoes and basil over pecan.
      this is basically the pig's porterhouse

• By John Setzler
      After a bit of time playing around and tweaking this grill, I'm very happy with it.  The FireDisc grill is extremely well made and well purposed in my opinion.  I'm gonna have a LOT of fun with this one...
    • By irish02bk
      I'm going to try my first butt on the classic KJ. Just wondering where people typically have the grates. I Was assuming have the heat deflectors on the lowest position and the grates on the highest position? Any other suggestions?
    • By Mr Cue
      Was feeling like smashburgers today and someone mentioned wanting shrimp... Why not both? So I started out with some wild caught Gulf shrimp and fresh ground 85/15 sirloin. Not everyone at Casa de Cue is a fan of shrimp so I needed some other toppings. How about bacon, baby bellas and sweet onion sautéed in garlic butter, and of course some sharp white and yellow cheddar cheese.
      The burgers were smashed on the KJ Cast Iron griddle and then the bacon went down to grease it back up for the shrimp. I also did a few grilled skewers and some scampi'd shrimp on the stove after I sautéed the 'shrooms and onions in a CI skillet.

The 'Bella Smash Burger with Bacon

The Shrimp Smash Burger with Yum Yum Sauce

• By brianb131
      Hello all. Just purchased a Kamado Joe from Costco. I bought the Costco floor model from a special KJ sales event.  
      I have not yet brought it home and used it, but will very soon. This will be my first Kamado grill.