John Setzler

Smoked Turkey on the Kamado Joe

8 posts in this topic

Nice cook, John! The bird looks great. I'm quite interested in the vent technique u mentioned. I'm going to have to try that myself.

John Setzler likes this

Could you elaborate a bit on the warning you made regarding the temperature probe. I couldn't find the side note on YouTube but it may be cuz I'm viewing from an iPhone.

John Setzler likes this

Could you elaborate a bit on the warning you made regarding the temperature probe. I couldn't find the side note on YouTube but it may be cuz I'm viewing from an iPhone.

I have had several instances when cooking at 350 and above with a maverick probe where the probe reads higher than actual temperature after a while. I think the higher temperature causes the probe to get hot enough that it radiates heat down the probe causing it to read higher than actual temp.  It's more of a problem in the 375 and up range but I have had the problem multiple times with two different probes cooking in that temp range.

Nice looking bird.I noticed that you didn't use a drip pan,any reason for that?

I wasn't planning to make a gravy from the drippings.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Kamado Al
      Got a late start to dinner tonight... cutting up root vegetables...

washing the chicken... ready to spatchcock...

added some garlic, salt, pepper, lemon pepper... basil to come...

• By John Setzler

Recipe:

Meatballs:

Preheat grill to 250°F and add one chunk of smoking wood of your choice.
      1lb ground beef
      1 cup italian bread crumbs
      1/2 cup finely minced onion
      3/4 tsp salt
      1/4 tsp black pepper
      2 cloves of minced garlic
      1/4 cup parsley
      1/4 cup grated parmesan
      1 lightly beaten egg

Mix together completely by hand and then form into individual meatballs of whatever size you like.  Place on the grill over indirect heat and cook until you reach an internal temperature of about 160°F.  Remove from the grill and set aside.  These can be done in advance and put in the refrigerator until ready to use.

Sauce:

Preheat small dutch oven over medium heat.  
      Preheat grill to 375°F and set up for indirect cooking.
      2 tablespoons olive oil
      2 finely chopped onions
      4 cloves minced garlic
      1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
      1 15oz can tomato sauce
      1 1/2 tsp salt
      2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
      2 tablespoons sugar
      1 tablespoon garlic powder
      1 tablespoon dried basil
      1 tablespoon dried tarragon
      1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (OPTIONAL - makes it spicy!)

Add the olive oil and onions to the dutch oven and sautee for 8 minutes or so until the onions are softened.  Add the minced garlic and stir for another minute or so.

Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer.  Let simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes.  Place the cover on the dutch oven and let simmer for an hour or so or until ready to use.

1 16oz box angel hair pasta (or past of your choice) cooked to instructions on packaging.
      Mozzarella cheese to taste
      Parmesan cheese to taste

Add the cooked pasta to a 12" cast iron skillet that has been greased.  Ladle in the sauce.  Place the meatballs on top of the sauce.  Top with mozzarella cheese and some parmesan if desired as well. 

Place pan on grill and cook at 375°F until bubbly and browned on top.  Allow to cool for 10 minutes or so and serve!

Enjoy!

• By ajones10
      Alright, so I am new to ceramic grills and have had my Kamado Joe Big Joe for about a month. So, my buddy who has cooked on a BGE the last 10 years and knows nothing else comes over to give me a few tips. So we are prepping everything and getting the fire started and I put the halfmoon heat deflectors in and he goes on this tangent about how different and subpar it is compared to the BGE place setter. He said the meat would not get as good as smoke and that I would use more coal because my DigiQ would have to work harder to blow more air and thus use more lump. Pretty much he said it all stemmed from the place setter having gaps/holes in it and the heat deflectors not. He told me I NEEDED to get a place setter instead of the Joe heat deflectors. 

Is he full of crap? Is one product better than the other? 
    • By John Setzler

4 cups cauliflower rice (make from whole cauliflower in food processor)
      8 oz diced chicken breast (or your favorite meat/protein) tossed in 1 tsp oil
      1 cup fresh or frozen green peas
      1 cup diced carrots
      1 cup diced onion
      2 cloves minced garlic
      1 tablespoon sesame oil
      2-3 tablespoons soy sauce
      2 beaten eggs
      Preheat your Kamado Joe to about 400 degrees in the dome.  Place the cast iron wok on the lower position with the accessory rack and let the wok preheat with the grill.
      Brown the chicken in the wok, remove and set aside.   Add the sesame oil and saute the onions and the carrots until the carrots soften, about 5 minutes.  Add the garlic and continue stirring for about one minute.  Add the cauliflower rice and stir constantly for 5-6 minutes.  Add the peas and stir for another minute or two.  Add the chicken back to the wok and mix completely.  Push the mixture to the back of the wok and add the beaten eggs.   Cook the eggs and mix with the rice.  Add the soy sauce and stir for another minute or two.  Remove from the wok and serve hot!
      Enjoy!

• By ajones10
      Alright, I am not usually a write on a forum type guy (usually just a taker), but I figure this will be a good way to diary my cooks and get feedback on how to improve so please bring it!

I am new to grilling and after months of looking into kamados, settled on a gently used Kamado Joe Big Joe for a great price. I am loving learning on it and am definitely seeing that "learning curve" taking place. My first cook was a boston butt that could have used some work. I wanted to do some ribs next so that is what happened.

Started out getting a full rack of spare ribs from Sams for what seemed like a good price (not sure). I have been watching a lot Aaron Franklin videos and reading his book so I decided to make spare ribs his way. Started out seasoning with salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic and onion powder and paprika. Also did my best to butcher it the best I could according to a few videos. 

Went out to the Joe to get it started using Fogo lump (it was big) and pecan and apple wood. Side note: I decided not to use my DigiQue this cook so I could start getting the hang of feeling temperature out myself. So my plan was 225 for 2 hours or so, check and spritz and sauce, 15 minutes back on and then wrap and spritz and sauce and then 2 hours back on. I pretty well followed that timeline, but the whole time the temperature was fluctuating between 225-275 (staying mostly in the 260 range. Anyway, after 4.5 hours total I pulled them, wrapped them in a towel and put them in a cooler for another hour.

I feel like they were pretty good. We had guests over and they enjoyed. They were tender (not the most tender I have ever had), but certainly not chewy. The rub was fine, didn't blow me away, probably will change it up next time. 

So, any feedback you have is welcome. Here is a question for you pros from a Type-A person who hates to be new and bad at something: Do you think there are specific things about this cook I could improve to make my ribs better (rub, temperature, etc.) or do you just think as I cook more and learn more I will improve generally and that will make all things I cook better? Sorry if that doesn't make sense, just trying to spell out what I'm thinking.